Lechlis's Track Goblin - 06 SS Donor - Chassis #173 - Registered

Lechlis

I didn't get around to uploading videos to YouTube before leave the states, but here are a few snips I put on Instagram.

http://instagr.am/p/B8McqclAvHL/
At this point, I only lack installing the rear brake calipers and bleeding the brakes/clutch before its able to be driven. I'll start registration immediately after I return in March.

One of the front wheel hubs appears the be drilled a bit off center. The wheel and brake rotor has a run-out of approximately 1/8" when spun by hand. I'll figure out the path to resolving this once I am back as well...

Last edited:

Lechlis

Quick Update:

I updated the Google Docs Excel and it is now 100% accurate through today. I am picking the hood up from being wrapped tomorrow (Pattern attached below) from Signorama NRV in Christiansburg, VA. For the exhaust, Tick Performance in Mt Airy, NC moved all of their in-house fab work to Rock Solid Motorsports in Statesville, NC. They have a long lead time because they do great work but I am scheduled for the October time frame.

I have driven the car around 20 miles locally so far and the tune is working in quite well. I decided I wanted to start with the factory file and do 100% of the tuning myself. So far it has been great. Small steps are key. Drivability at mile 1 was generally very poor. Now it is very smooth and quite fun at a mere 7psi. Once the car is road legal, I will begin bumping it up.

On the topic of being road legal, the registration material was delivered to the Virginia DMV in Richmond mid-February with an expected 3 week turn around. I called on March 25th to inquire about the status. They confirmed receipt of the packet and everything needed to process it was enclosed. However, they stated the process is taking 4-6 weeks now due to the pandemic. So, here I am on April 30th and haven't heard anything or seen the tax check cashed... A checkup call is planned this afternoon.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with the Virginia DMV. They are currently processing kit car, salvage title, and specialty title vehicle paper work received on March 5th, 2020 but weren't quite sure why mine hadn't been completed yet. So, I am now awaiting their return phone call.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Quick Update:

... I decided I wanted to start with the factory file and do 100% of the tuning myself...
Woo Hoo, we have another tuner! Tuning it by yourself makes it so nice when it comes to making engine changes. Do you have a tuner's calibrated butt dyno (Dragy, G-Tech, or other GPS performance meter)? Bet those Nitto NT01's take a beating :)

Your car makes those tires look great. What wheel & tire size did you go with?

Lechlis

Woo Hoo, we have another tuner! Tuning it by yourself makes it so nice when it comes to making engine changes. Do you have a tuner's calibrated butt dyno (Dragy, G-Tech, or other GPS performance meter)? Bet those Nitto NT01's take a beating :)

Your car makes those tires look great. What wheel & tire size did you go with?
I do not currently have any of those. I have looked at the Dragy but not very seriously yet. The traction is amazing with these tires though. I had the exact same tire on my R32 and they were great, but the Goblin definitely feels like it would put up higher numbers on the skid pad. They are 275/40R17 tires on 17x9s

Lechlis

I am throwing this out as an option to anyone interested.

I have an Aeromotive Phantom fuel pump on the Goblin using a Hi-Line Design adapter. There are several models available from Aeromotive to support pretty much any level of performance. I have the Flex model designed for E85. They are very quiet unlike external pumps or other brands.

Long story short, I have 3D printed several of these as prototypes and am ready to run a batch of them in 6061 aluminum. Ordering material just for myself and making a single adapter isn’t cost effective. So, I am looking for others who would be interested in these.

If we can get 5 people committed, the price would be $189. If we get 10, it’s $129. These are shipped to your door prices. All you need is one of the Aeromotive Phantom kits. The adapter uses the factory tank seal between the tank and adapter. The Phantom kits come with their own seal that is used between the adapter and pump. This setup can be installed in the vehicle for anyone who has already completed their build!

You must have a turbo fuel tank with 8 studs! The fuel gauge also becomes functionless as the factory sending unit is discarded.

Send me a message on here if you are interested and I will start compiling a list.

Attachments

Lechlis

Copied from the Virginia Registration thread:

I spoke with the VA DMV today after several long months of waiting. They had a few questions before processing the paperwork and cashing the tax check. Long story short, the Goblin would be titled as a "Dune Buggy" and, since 2009, dune buggies cannot be registered for road use in Virginia. The representative was exceptional and listened to me plead my case about being registered in other states, MCO stating "Roadster", being built to pass the annual safety inspection, etc. At the end of the day, open wheels and frame equals dune buggy status in VA.

You can expect to see Montana plates on the car soon :) Thanks @Oldchevyguy for the insight.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Sorry to hear man. I thought about trying to register it as a Locost/lotus 7 there is a Midlana version. It wouldn’t be to hard to put legit fenders on it.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
The digital camo looks amazing.
And I just can't help myself. Here come the spellcheck police to cuff me. Your "wang" looks good too. :p