Desert Sasqwatch #155 Track (mods) - 08 SS/TC crate LNF F40

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
With all the thought you are putting into engine heat management, are you specifically doing anything with the looped heater core line (which does not get used on the Goblin)? Like NOT just looping it and sending that coolant flow to an additional small radiator?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Yes I am looking at utilizing the heater core ports for an additional cooling circuit for the engine oil cooler. This radiator circuit will utilize a secondary 7 row plate heat exchanger with its own cooling duct (see some of this discussion above in post #194). The circuit will also add at least another 1/2 gallon of radiator fluid into the system - the more the better, as long as my cooling duct works as planned.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
We are in Goblin hibernation season in Arizona, not much work being done when our temps have been around 110 during the day - it's 118 today - and we barely see 95 or less in the mornings. Not much to update on the build, Racer X has been spending a lot of time in my garage (when it's cool enough) and has put my Goblin on a diet. We have been using a bunch of new tools - welder (the old HF one is gone), drill press, rivnut gun - and some of my mods are finally shaping up.

I have stated several times recently in some previous posts that ounces add up to pounds. Well we've been taking ounce out of the frame everywhere that has totaled more than 12 pounds already. May not seem like much, but that weight loss counters the 15 pounds I've already added for a net gain of only 3 pounds to the frame. I will have to take some pictures (when I can safely operate electronics outside again) to post them and probably have a contest to see who can find all of the weight loss 'easter eggs'. Edit: and all the added weight goodies.

Can't wait for fall to arrive. :D

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It was 99-100 here all weekend, with 70+% humidity. o_O It’s hard to breathe outside right now, but I plowed through it to finish mine up. Went through a few gallons of ice tea too. :D

and maybe some whiskey.

Ross

Goblin Guru
...Well we've been taking ounce out of the frame everywhere that has totaled more than 12 pounds already. May not seem like much, but that weight loss counters the 15 pounds I've already added for a net gain of only 3 pounds to the frame. I will have to take some pictures (when I can safely operate electronics outside again) to post them and probably have a contest to see who can find all of the weight loss 'easter eggs'. Edit: and all the added weight goodies.

Can't wait for fall to arrive. :D
Really? How? 12 pounds out of the frame is a lot, my frame only weighed 190. Did you dip it in acid for a week?
I would like the contest - just to see all the ideas on how to save weight.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
There are many parts of the frame that are non-structural, some made out of thick steel that can benefit from a little weight reduction. A little hint: in post #130, from the first Racer X visit, there's a brief discussion about weight.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ross, there are more hints than what is written in the post ;) and can't reveal everything just yet - still have a contest in the works.

As far as Racer X, you need to understand the ideals of who and what Racer X, as a fictional character, was in the Speed Racer manga and anime series from the 1960s. The movie that came out was poorly done and portrayed Racer X much differently than the comic book and cartoon. Mach Go Go Go!

Last edited:

Dsteinhorst

Are you pulling weight from the engine block and trans in the same way? There's several mounting bosses that could be machine off.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I'm staying within the capabilities of my tools and will be leaving the important stuff, like structural and stressed members alone. There is more OEM design engineering that went into determining these things were necessary than my limited materials and mechanical engineering thinking will chance modifying. Aluminum items, like engine and transmission, being already relatively lighter in weight, get less attention than things made out steel - where the most weight loss can be obtained for a given action. No strength will be lost for those items coming 'under the knife', but if it is non-structural, it is a candidate for some weight loss messaging. :D

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
No recent progress - it's just too darn hot! 119 yesterday, 118 today and it has been at 110 or above for more than 2 weeks. :mad: The forecast is showing temps under 110 but that means more humidity with the monsoon air. :eek: Phoenix still has til the end of September or even later before the weather becomes more conducive to working more than a couple hours early in the morning before it becomes unbearable - can't catch a break this time of the year. o_O

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I feel you (maybe not though). It's been 95 or so every day this week, with humidity, here in PA. Probably sounds like a crisp autumn day to you, but I have sweat out gallons this week. It's tough to focus.

But I need to take my seats back out. I have a need to strengthen the tunnel cap. I just dont like the idea of a small handful of rivets securing the cover with a stick shift AND a parking brake mounted in it. Seems like asking for trouble.

benjy

Yikes, even the mornings are only getting down to 90* in Phoenix... I guess that's the price you pay for a good long fall-winter-spring driving season ;)

Brian74

Goblin Guru
No recent progress - it's just too darn hot! 119 yesterday, 118 today and it has been at 110 or above for more than 2 weeks. :mad: The forecast is showing temps under 110 but that means more humidity with the monsoon air. :eek: Phoenix still has til the end of September or even later before the weather becomes more conducive to working more than a couple hours early in the morning before it becomes unbearable - can't catch a break this time of the year. o_O
Man, I'm in the same exact boat. I have so many fabrication ideas and materials just waiting. Always told myself I'll never subject myself to misery of this heat. Welding in a 100 degree garage is no fun. If its not enjoyable, its not worth it.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Man, I'm in the same exact boat. I have so many fabrication ideas and materials just waiting. Always told myself I'll never subject myself to misery of this heat. Welding in a 100 degree garage is no fun. If its not enjoyable, its not worth it. Bad enough flying around in it all week.