Mid Engine Cobalt

Ross

Goblin Guru
Nothing new gets done with out vision. Dreams. Wild dreams. Classy seems like a visionary kind of guy.
It's not like any of us have put a V8 in a Goblin. Although, I did think about it.

I see the Goblin more of a light weight car. My son, Ian, wanted to build a shifter kart.

But I wanted something street legal. The Goblin was the compromise that we made, a light weight performance car, that is street legal.
Not quite as fast as the shifter kart, but can be driven without trailering it to a track.

A V8 would be a compromise the other direction, more weight than a normal Goblin, with a bigger frame.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I'll admit I've armchair mechanic'd the LP9 (Saab V6) swap that Classy first discussed, and LUZ/LH7 swaps (2.0/1.6L Cruze diesels). According to my best guesses, all should have F35 bolt patterns (I welcome anyone to correct me although at this point it's irrelevant).

I then decided I should build my Goblin first before I come to the conclusion that any other swap that's going to take a lot of work is better suited than the LSJ still sitting in a Cobalt in my driveway.

Like I said, an LS4/F40 Kia is either going to be entertaining to watch, really cool to watch, or a combination of the two. In any case, I'm staying tuned. Don't frustrate the guy and make him to leave. If you're annoyed, don't click on the thread.

Classy

Sticking with the Goblin idea, the problem with building it for the LSJ or any of the ecotecs, then moving to the LS4/F40, is that the LS4/F40 combo will not fit in the goblin the way it sits. So, you would do all the finish work, get the frame powder coated and then have to cut it all up to change it all. I can't say I have completely ruled out the idea of a V8 goblin. I just need a quote to go off of.

No matter which way I go, whether it is a V8 goblin, or a hacked up FWD car into mid engine car, they both come with their own challenges. Which ever I do, I am going to do this to Mayor West (inset his name instead of Matt Lauer)

Ross

Goblin Guru
Well DF will sell you a raw steel frame, I bought one. Do your modifications before the finish work, seems like a better plan.

And both you guys, cut it out, clean up your posts. No need to get mean, we are all hear to learn, so no need to get nasty.
Seriously, edit your posts.

You only need to modify the rear of the Goblin frame, Lots of big people have fit in a Goblin, it is not as small as Lotus Seven. Up to you if you want to make that wider, but I bet you would fit with the right seats.

Last edited:

Classy

Well DF will sell you a raw steel frame, I bought one. Do your modifications before the finish work, seems like a better plan.

And both you guys, cut it out, clean up your posts. No need to get mean, we are all hear to learn, so no need to get nasty.
Seriously, edit your posts.
I have already spoken to Lonnie, he is supposed to get a stripped down quote (all the stuff I can't use taken off) I am just waiting for that to come through

I am sorry Dale, you have been nothing but supportive.

Side note, I may still use a cobalt modified subframe in the goblin route, the aluminum LS4 subframe looks way to big

Classy

Nothing new gets done with out vision. Dreams. Wild dreams. Classy seems like a visionary kind of guy.
It's not like any of us have put a V8 in a Goblin. Although, I did think about it.

I see the Goblin more of a light weight car. My son, Ian, wanted to build a shifter kart.
View attachment 17090
But I wanted something street legal. The Goblin was the compromise that we made, a light weight performance car, that is street legal.
Not quite as fast as the shifter kart, but can be driven without trailering it to a track.

A V8 would be a compromise the other direction, more weight than a normal Goblin, with a bigger frame.
I loved my go kart, it had a 50 hp v twin, it was a large frame off road go kart, but I really longed to be able to drive something fun on the road legally. Side note, I had to keep gearing it to keep the top speed lower than 60mph.

Coming from that is what had me looking at exo cars and the exposed tube chassis kit cars. Yes a LS4 will be about 100 pounds heavier plus whatever the chassis changes add up to. BUT I love V8’s. I can make that compromise.

George

Goblin Guru
What if you did you mid engine Cobalt out side norm and make it wheel drI've by install the engine transmission side ways with a front and rear diff.

Brad

Brian74

Goblin Guru
If modifying and doing custom builds was easy, everyone would be doing it. Projects are so easy to visualize in the mind, but once you have the raw material in front of you, the details begin creeping in.

I'm dealing with that at work right now... Project manager of a seemingly simple pitched scope overall to everybody else. I start digging into the little details and its not so easy, much less is convincing them of that, lol.

I think a V8 Goblin would be badass. If anything you later decide that's too much, you still have invested in a solid buildable kit that will provide you even more insight into your next project.

Classy

I work in oil and gas, and frequently a part of the project side with different companies, I always ask at the beginning when the projects are “scheduled” to be done and see how far that date gets pushed back. It is amazing all the little things that can set you back.

As far as a project in front of me, I relish in it. I love to sit and stare at a project in my garage and visualize how to do it. Make some doodles when I am not in the garage, and then see how that fits when I am back in the garage. I don’t mind a project taking a while, I would rather take care of the details sooner than later, but that wouldn’t stop me from getting it barely together and test drive it around the neighborhood real quick.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Classy, I've been wholly disappointed with some of the member posts in your thread and believe there are only a very few in the forum who are not interested in your ideas and how you may implement them - but unfortunately they expressed this in a negative fashion. I believe you started this thread in the Other Builds Forum to get some ideas and feedback - not criticism - and seems you got more of the negative kind than I thought possible out of this group. I'm as embarrassed as Dale to see this and believe there are some apologies due from these forum members. Lonny and Adam have not chimed in on this, and they shouldn't have to, because as a group we have been good at keeping things PG and generally positive up to this point. Let's virtually shake hands and remember that ideas, no matter how they may be perceived, are a big part of this forum and the reason we have so many unique and innovative things going on with our builds. Please, put the criticisms aside and let's get past this to return to our family forum. :)

Brian74

Goblin Guru
There will always be naysayers. I came into this forum back when it was only a few of us. This forum literally now has decades of experience and knowledge and over 200 kits sold.

None of us would be in here if we didn't have goals. I hope we can keep it an encouraging atmosphere without egos or doubts.

Its enough of a challenge to have the balls to take on a such a project; much lest be judged.

Back in the old days, the the indians made the eccentric dude of the tribe the medicine man.

B.F.N.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
For those of you who are looking down on ideas, resrarch the grassroots motorsports forum when Lonny and Adam were first discussing the design of this car.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I see two types of creative build ideas online...

1. People who talk big about doing and never do.
  2. People who do big and then talk about it during and after.
I don't see the problem being realistic and not joining in on the circle jerk. Are we giving participation trophy's for ideas now cause I wanna put a W16 in my next build, I've never done it before but if you believe in me I can totally do it!!!