[GUIDE] Montana Registration

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Linked below is a guide for registering in Montana. Few things before you get started:

1. There are many factors that play into your individual build that would dictate which route to take. I won't speak to the pro's and con's of the decision, this guide is focused on HOW to do it with the least amount of headaches.

2. I'm not compensated by the registered agent listed. There are quite a few registered agent options out there with different services, costs etc - choose the one that fits you best.

3. Your donor, more specifically - how you own your donor, may cause you to take a slightly different path than what's outlined below. You could still use aspects of what's below, but you may have to freestyle it a bit to get to the desired end result.

4. DO NOT REQUEST AN MCO OR ODOMETER STATEMENT FROM DF BEFORE GOING THIS ROUTE - This is no longer the case. You have to get the MCO written out in the name and address you purchased your kit with (for most of us, that'll be our human names and residential address). It may benefit you to create an LLC before purchasing your kit.

Hope this helps! Would be interested to hear how your Montana registration process was different from below.

Last edited:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Very nice doc, thanks for taking the time.

I realized the other day, my powder coater went over my Goblin VIN tag with powder coat. It's still legible, but if I can get it off without marring the tag, I would like to. Any thoughts on that?

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru

I realized the other day, my powder coater went over my Goblin VIN tag with powder coat. It's still legible, but if I can get it off without marring the tag, I would like to. Any thoughts on that?
No prob! For the VIN Inspection you'll want to have it legible. You might be able to drill the rivets from the bottom which would free the tag from the frame and clean it better that way, then rivet her back. You could soak the tag in gasoline or something for a touchless removal of the powder.

Goblin Guru
I'll figure something out. I'll re-examine it and if it's legible enough, I'll probably leave it alone.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Use a file or sandpaper block - remove the powder coat around the VIN, leaving the VIN number colored.
Just a thought, Mr. Fox. (kids book reference)

MisterDave

same thing happened to me... thought it was going to be a pain, but I think DF had put a clear sticker over it because I just picked at it and the powder coat came right off the number plate.

Goblin Guru
same thing happened to me... thought it was going to be a pain, but I think DF had put a clear sticker over it because I just picked at it and the powder coat came right off the number plate.
Definitely not the case for mine. Oh well, it's reasonably legible still.

Goblin Guru
Good peoples of Montana (and well, those of you from other places that just like Montana's registration laws!),

I am starting to look for insurance quotes on the Goblin. Two places I've requested quotes from have gotten back to me, while two others have outright laughed in my (digital) face. The two that got back to me had questions, and one of them, I am not sure how to answer. Does anyone have a reasonable answer to this question?

"I know that you have not already registered it but do you know how they will be listing it on the registration?"

Goblin Guru
One more question. I should have figured this out before I built the Goblin, but .... where is the VIN on the engine block? I've heard a couple different places and I can't seem to locate it. I grabbed this picture from the outside of there the oil filter goes, but it doesn't look like anything.

20201004_115750.jpg

Lechlis

I don’t have a direct answer for your question, but I did not need to record any engine data when I was going through the process. The only thing needed was the “DFGBxxxx” number located on the chassis plate.

Goblin Guru
From O-Prime's documentation:

MV-20 VIN Inspection
This is really where most of the heartburn occurs. You have to have a License and Theft agent inspect your paperwork and vehicle(s). Do a google search to figure out License & Theft offices near you as they are not everywhere. In my situation, they could show up to your house and look at everything or you could tow the vehicle to their office and have them inspect it. This conversation is likely to be interesting, some agents are easier going and know what’s required of them than others. Be patient with this, you 100% have to get this done to go MT. Your state is effectively doing the VIN inspection on behalf of Montana.

I believe this needs to be done by law enforcement in my state, I am not sure yet. I've heard that it is necessary to have them match the VIN to the engine block to make sure it's not stolen.

I'd just like to be prepared as possible when it comes time to do this lovely step.

Goblin Guru
Actually, Lechlis, sorry ... I had forgotten you registered via the Montana route. If you didn't need a VIN match, I doubt I will either. I wonder why O-Prime did?

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Actually, Lechlis, sorry ... I had forgotten you registered via the Montana route. If you didn't need a VIN match, I doubt I will either. I wonder why O-Prime did?
He had to first register in North Carolina before registering in Montana.