Getting real nervous about heat

Kenny123

Hey guys I have tried everything I can think of to bleed the radiator and lines. I have used about a gallon and a half of fluid. Reservoir is half full I have massaged the line going through the frame and run the car to try and get the new thermostat to open but so far I haven't had much luck. I feel the heat coming off the engine and I can feel the radiator is really hot but the line from the thermostat housing to the radiator and the passenger side hose feels cool to the touch. What am I missing here?

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Sounds like your water pump isn’t running or you have a bad thermostat. Do you have a laser thermometer to check the block and radiator temps? Probably wrong, but I believe the thermostat opens around the 180F mark

SwerveMonkey

sorta in the same boat, I experienced the same situation and thought it was my thermostat being stuck after being exposed to air for over a half a year... would be interested when you find the solution, it may be the same problem I'm having. I took apart the temp sensor as well as replaced the thermostat just to be sure. good luck :- )

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
It seem really strange that the radiator is really hot. The only way to get hot water to the radiator is to pump it and if the thermostat isn't opening, nothing is going to flow.

Here is the best way to ensure there is no air trapped in the system, the most likely cause of your issue. If you have ever seen this work, it's quite amazing

Kenny123

That looks about right. You will probably have to top off the reservoir a few times as the air burps out. It doesn't come out the best with the closed radiator down low like it is.
Yah I tried lifting the res above the engine. Maybe I'm just too worried haha. Also just find it odd the fan didn't come on at all but I guess we'll see soon enough. Thank you for your help.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yah I tried lifting the res above the engine. Maybe I'm just too worried haha. Also just find it odd the fan didn't come on at all but I guess we'll see soon enough. Thank you for your help.
I'm impressed with the cooling system in this car. I think some of the added capacity of the hoses helps some. Our car just does not turn on the fan other than very rare occasions. Our car stays at 180 all the time. Maybe we have a lower thermostat than others....

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
What end of the radiator is the water pump coolant supply line connected to? Top or bottom of the radiator?
Feed line is the drivers side coolant line.

Kenny123

Driver side goes to the top and passenger side to the bottom. I followed what the video had said so I hope thats right.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
My vote would be air still in the system. All of the extra piping will increase the amount of work on the water pump, meaning slower velocity, causing air to be more likely to get trapped. The 5th gen Camaros are bad about trapping air and causing problems. I would go with ctuinstra and try vacuum purging.

Kenny123

My vote would be air still in the system. All of the extra piping will increase the amount of work on the water pump, meaning slower velocity, causing air to be more likely to get trapped. The 5th gen Camaros are bad about trapping air and causing problems. I would go with ctuinstra and try vacuum purging.
Yah I think I'm gonna order one today and just give it a shot. Worst case scenario i have a new tool hah. Can't get mad at that.

Peregrinus

I've noticed, the best spot to actually fill the coolant system on my goblin has been a thin funnel, and take the bolt out for the steam port right by the supercharger pulley area, it got all the air out that entire side of the system very quickly doing that. Found that tip on the cobalt forums, and it has helped tremendously in burping my system the few times I've had to refill it.

Kenny123

I've noticed, the best spot to actually fill the coolant system on my goblin has been a thin funnel, and take the bolt out for the steam port right by the supercharger pulley area, it got all the air out that entire side of the system very quickly doing that. Found that tip on the cobalt forums, and it has helped tremendously in burping my system the few times I've had to refill it.
I'll do some research and see if the TC has that same port. Thank you!! Can you post a lic of the port for me?

Peregrinus

I'll do some research and see if the TC has that same port. Thank you!! Can you post a lic of the port for me?
I have the goblin in storage, the small diameter hose that connects to your coolant overflow should run back to it, not sure if it's in the same spot on the turbo, I'll try to google some pics up

Peregrinus

I have the goblin in storage, the small diameter hose that connects to your coolant overflow should run back to it, not sure if it's in the same spot on the turbo, I'll try to google some pics up
Here's where it is on the SC head. Found a picture lol, that lets u leave that coolant hose hooked up, and it'll fill everything from the radiator back and let all the air out on that side if u have it in the same spot on the tc

Attachments

Kenny123

Here's where it is on the SC head. Found a picture lol, that lets u leave that coolant hose hooked up, and it'll fill everything from the radiator back and let all the air out on that side if u have it in the same spot on the tc
Ahhhh gotcha! Yah I have that but I have a "T" from factory with a line that goes back to the reservoir. I will take a closer look when I get home. Thank you!

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Driver side goes to the top and passenger side to the bottom. I followed what the video had said so I hope thats right.
Supply line to the pump should be connected to the bottom port of the radiator. Gravity will always work with in supplying water to your pump in this configuration.
Connected in this manner your radiator could only be half full and still circulate coolant. It won't the other way around as the pump can't pump air.

Kenny123

Supply line to the pump should be connected to the bottom port of the radiator. Gravity will always work with in supplying water to your pump in this configuration.
Connected in this manner your radiator could only be half full and still circulate coolant. It won't the other way around as the pump can't pump air.
Hmm makes perfect sense. I wonder if they are backwards... I will take a look for sure when I get home. We followed the video to a "T" so I dont think we have it wrong but certainly worth the look. Thanks a ton.