Texas Revoking Titles (and how you can help)

Parson Green

Hypothetical question: The owner of a Goblin who has successfully titled said Goblin in another state moves to Texas and brings said Goblin with him. Shortly after his arrival he stops by his local DMV office (with his OK, NM, CO or wherever title in hand) to apply for a TX title. What kind of response will he receive? And in particular: Will it be any different from the response received by someone in a similar situation except that that someone's vehicle is a bone-stock Camry?

Last edited:

Parson Green

Hypothetical question: The owner of a Goblin who has successfully titled said Goblin in another state moves to Texas and brings said Goblin with him. Shortly after his arrival he stops by his local DMV office (with his OK, NM, CO or wherever title in hand) to apply for a TX title. What kind of response will he receive? And in particular: Will it be any different from the response received by someone in a similar situation except that that someone's vehicle is a bone-stock Camry?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Update (per my research of this morning): If you're bringing your NM-titled (for example) Goblin to live (& be driven on public roads) in Texas here's some things to know.

Note: The Goblin does not need to be re-titled. It can remain a NM-titled (for example) vehicle. But, it will need to be registered. That process is relatively uncomplicated (basically one stop at your local inspection station and one stop at your local DMV office).

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/new-to-texas

Happy motoring and y'all be careful out there.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

New to Texas

Welcome to the Lone Star State. You have 30 days from the time you move here to register your vehicle in the state. To learn how, follow the steps below. In no time at all, we will be proud to call you a Registered Texan!
Here are the steps to becoming a Registered Texan:
1. Vehicle Inspection and Insurance
Have your vehicle inspected. Simply take your vehicle to a certified Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) inspection station. Many mechanic shops, oil change locations and service stations are certified by DPS as inspection stations. Bring your insurance card.
In Texas, you must show you have insurance coverage for a minimum of $30,000 per injured person, up to a total of $60,000 for everyone injured in an accident, and $25,000 for property damage.
Find your nearest inspection station
2. Registration
Next, it's time to get your vehicle registration sticker and license plates. To do this, you must visit your local county tax-assessor collector office. You will need your insurance card, proof of vehicle inspection (the Vehicle Inspection Report from the inspection station), and proof you own the vehicle, such as the registration or title from your previous state. You can also show a current foreign/military ownership document or foreign evidence of ownership. Please note that if your insurance policy was issued in another state, you will need to bring your policy in its entirety so that insurance coverage minimums may be verified.
Visit your local county tax office. You are not required to title your vehicle in Texas, but first-time registrants must fill out and complete Application for Texas Title and/or Registration (Form 130-U).
The base registration fee in Texas is $50.75 plus $1 for TexasSure, the electronic insurance verification program and other Department of Public Safety initiatives. So, total state registration is $51.75 but counties may add other fees to this cost. The state portion of your vehicle's inspection fee will be due at this time. As a new resident, you also will pay sales tax-related fees required by the state's Comptroller of Public Accounts. Sales tax fees on a vehicle can be $90 or the difference between your previous state's sales tax and the Texas sales tax.
While at the county tax assessor-collector's office be sure to ask your customer service representative to sign you up for eReminder. We'll email you when it's time to renew, and you will have the opportunity to renew your registration online.
Note: Active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces and non-resident, full-time students attending a Texas college or university are not required to register or title their vehicles in Texas.

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
After reading that, just make sure It complies with our state inspection laws (cat, evap and such). We are all having to do that now, so we are playing catch up.

Parson Green

After reading that, just make sure It complies with our state inspection laws (cat, evap and such). We are all having to do that now, so we are playing catch up.
The (chubby-and-tattooed) gals at the inspection station in our neck of the woods are more than a little flexible in their approach. Typically, if the person has their proof of insurance and the cash to pay the fee, that person is done and out of there in very short order.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It was that way over 20 years ago, before the emission tests. Now, it’s not so easy. Well, it’s not exactly hard, but everything Has to be correct. Not California emission nazi correct, but correct.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
We will soon. :rolleyes: We haven’t got letters yet, but others have, about getting an emission test. To get that to work, we will need evap and a cat. Luckly, I still have the evap canister and some hoses, plus the wiring to make it all work. Just gotta figure out a cat thing. the motorcycle muffler I made does have a cat built in, but I’ll need to put an O2 behind it or start over with a new exhaust. :mad:

Parson Green

We will soon. :rolleyes: We haven’t got letters yet, but others have, about getting an emission test. To get that to work, we will need evap and a cat. Luckly, I still have the evap canister and some hoses, plus the wiring to make it all work. Just gotta figure out a cat thing. the motorcycle muffler I made does have a cat built in, but I’ll need to put an O2 behind it or start over with a new exhaust. :mad:
Registering an already-titled vehicle is one thing. It's probably done tens of thousands of times per year for people relocating into Texas from other states. It's routine.

Getting Texas to issue a kit-car title for someone's Goblin seems to be quite another animal. Definitely a non-routine proposition.

The key may be in finding a non-chickenshit state to work with and I think I know of at least one. Hell, it's to a state's advantage to be non-chickenshit in this respect because, among other things, there's a nice little pot of tax money that they latch onto every time they issue a title.

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yes, you are correct, but to get registered here you’ll have to pass a safety and emission test (If you are in an emission county). This is for anyone who gets registered here. To pass it, the components have to be there and the computer must read everything correctly. Not my rules, I’m just stating what I know, via TXDOT.

All this assembled vehicle stuff is brand new, so the bugs are still being worked out, from what I can tell. It just is what it is at the moment. On the plus side, what you don’t have to do is the ASE master inspection and all the other paperwork to get an assembled vehicle registered (titled) here.

Parson Green

We're not in an emissions county. So, a standard safety inspection, done at a local station, will suffice. That plus a title issued by a state (if one exists) in which the titling regs are way more flexible than the ones in Texas.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I hope it works out that way. It was a way I was considering, before the recent law change. This new way is a bit of work, but not really that bad. The recent emission curveball (so far just emission counties) was unexpected, but I think those that need it, have it under control.

Devonrex

I have ordered and installed back on all the evap stuff for my 09 base model. There were 7 wires to connect, see attached wiring diagram. On to installing a catalytic converter this weekend. A local shop quoted $695 for installation, I order one from amazon for $60 plus two clamps.

Attachments

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
So, Texas has been a little difficult lately for all of us. Not impossible, but disconnected at times.
I was one of the early ones to go through the new process. It was slow, but manageable.
Got a letter from the state denying my custom plate request this weekend. :(

2QUK4U
(too quick for you)

Well, the spell check police threw up not one, but two flags for that request. I really ticked them off.....
  • derogatory (defined as an expression that is demeaning to, belittles, or disparages any person, group, race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, or refers to an organization that advocates such expressions).
  • a reference to gangs, illegal activities, violence, implied threats of harm, or expressions that describe, advertise, advocate, promote, encourage, glorify, or condone violence, crime or unlawful conduct.
Please know that when reviewing a personalized plate pattern, TxDMV staff consider how the motoring public may view your plate; your declared meaning and intent will not be considered.

OMG....... I suppose you can take any word or phrase and misconstrue it these days........
Maybe I am not worldly enough.

Worst part is they had sent me an email, but failed to send it to the right address. So now, I have to start the process all over - in person - at their office - if it is even open....

So, I guess my paper plate for 2QUK4U will remain until I can submit a second choice. Can't wait to see what other gang or derogatory person I have become....

Goblin on friends, Goblin on....

:)

Classy

That is beyond frustrating, I was just talking to Russel the other day about the paper plates on your car

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Short story: my cousin got this plate in 1975 in Illinois, it took 3 years for the police to figure it out and revoke his plate: PHUQUTO

I'm guessing the PC thought police can make anything into a derogatory or regulated word nowadays. :mad:

Wonder what they would do with my Jeep plate?

Attachments

Last edited:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Who checks the emissions? Just the inspection? I can get past that easy without having to install on the goblin but if other people will need to see it other than the inspection place then that will be a hard one to slip past
Yes, just the inspection station. I do not think they "look" for specific components.

When you do the ASE inspection, they do not look for emission related items.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
There’s a whole new section in the state inspection manual for assembled vehicles. It is a visual inspection for the emission components that were on the doner. Then you get the obdII reader like all vehicles now, to make sure those components are working (in “ready” state) properly.

The ASE master inspection is geared more towards overall workmanship and proper function (Steering, brakes, chassis, etc).

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
So, Texas has been a little difficult lately for all of us. Not impossible, but disconnected at times.
I was one of the early ones to go through the new process. It was slow, but manageable.
Got a letter from the state denying my custom plate request this weekend. :(

2QUK4U
(too quick for you)

Well, the spell check police threw up not one, but two flags for that request. I really ticked them off.....
  • derogatory (defined as an expression that is demeaning to, belittles, or disparages any person, group, race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, or refers to an organization that advocates such expressions).
  • a reference to gangs, illegal activities, violence, implied threats of harm, or expressions that describe, advertise, advocate, promote, encourage, glorify, or condone violence, crime or unlawful conduct.
Please know that when reviewing a personalized plate pattern, TxDMV staff consider how the motoring public may view your plate; your declared meaning and intent will not be considered.

OMG....... I suppose you can take any word or phrase and misconstrue it these days........
Maybe I am not worldly enough.

Worst part is they had sent me an email, but failed to send it to the right address. So now, I have to start the process all over - in person - at their office - if it is even open....

So, I guess my paper plate for 2QUK4U will remain until I can submit a second choice. Can't wait to see what other gang or derogatory person I have become....

Goblin on friends, Goblin on....

FYI - for all of you in Texas, just get the standard issue boring plates when you register. You can go back and try to get a personalized one later - if the cryptic plate police accept your submission......

Spent another hour at the DMV today. Since no one in the local office had a clue about our Goblins, they had to make a call to the overlords in Austin. Nonetheless, I have now officially completed the process and got real steel plates. Not quite as cool as 2QUK4U, but legal.
Maybe it will now be "Non Zero Joker 53-74 years old?
oh well.........

IMG_9616.jpg

Last edited:

Devonrex

Question regarding getting the Goblin weighed for the TX DMV registration process. I towed it 30 minutes to a certified scale. Got it on the scale but learned their scale cannot weigh under 2,000 lbs. So I weighed it with the Goblin trailered with my car and then just my car. The combined weight was listed with the Goblin VIN.

How have others weighed your Goblin? Will they take the ~5,000 lbs weight or will they accept subtracting my car to get to the actual weight of 1,520 lbs.

Last edited: