LSJ Dipstick Tube

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Is there a difference in dipsticks between any of the above engines? My gut says no. In which case, I've got the original dipstick from my L61. It's yours for the cost of shipping.

I broke my dipstick funnel and the Dorman replacement uses a different dipstick, so now I've got this laying on my bench.

Goblin Graber

Bringing this back from the dead to see if anyone has an LSJ dipstick tube they are willing to sell.

My L61 tube is nowhere close to clearing the supercharger.

BAR-AIR

Good Morning,
I had continuous issues with the o-rings leaking. So with the new engine build replaced the OEM dipstick with an aftermarket one.
82A08BF5-B8D7-4CA1-90CD-7DAC97BDB35C.jpeg

90B78319-686F-48C5-B235-1525062368F8.jpeg

THX,
Bruce

Iwanttogofast

Good Morning,
I had continuous issues with the o-rings leaking. So with the new engine build replaced the OEM dipstick with an aftermarket one.
View attachment 19319
View attachment 19320
THX,
Bruce
No used LSJ dipstick tubes anywhere for a while now, and I've been looking everywhere. Is your aftermarket one a Lokar? Do you know if modification(s) had to be made to your oil pan to accept?

Has anyone retrofitted a dipstick tube from another application to work? Even if it had to be persuaded to fit (bent) - I've got to find something as mine (from a rusty donor) is almost rusted through in a couple of places.

Last edited:

Iwanttogofast

Looking for the dipstick tube, not the dipstick itself. The dipstick tube was discontinued by GM years ago. As they rust out, it has been tougher and tougher to locate used ones for the LSJ supercharged engines. Dorman makes aftermarket ones for the 2.2L and 2.4L, but not the LSJ. I'm hoping that someone has found a retrofit solution without too much modification.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
They are just pressure fitted into the hole, so it may be worth trying the 2.2L/2.4L tubes and seeing if they fit. Since you're not trying to fit the tube into an engine bay of a cobalt, a general tube should work just fine so long as the length is the same. If anything, you could trim it down if it's longer, but I wouldn't do it if it's shorter than the stock lsj one.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It’s crazy. You can get replacements for the 2.2 and 2.4, but there’s nothing for either 2.0’s. heres the doorman numbers for the 2.2 and 2.4. Maybe modify one of those.
917-429
917-379

Iwanttogofast

They are just pressure fitted into the hole, so it may be worth trying the 2.2L/2.4L tubes and seeing if they fit. Since you're not trying to fit the tube into an engine bay of a cobalt, a general tube should work just fine so long as the length is the same. If anything, you could trim it down if it's longer, but I wouldn't do it if it's shorter than the stock lsj one.
I was thinking the same thing about it not having to go around the supercharger to have access since it will now be located in a more accessible area. However, I believe that I read somewhere (when I first began researching) that the 2.0L has a different base diameter than the 2.2L & 2.4L. I believe that it stated that the 2.0L has a larger base diameter. ? I may just have to try it.

Sparvy

I dropped the oil pan and drilled tapped for a universal (lokar) dipstick. I got the one that you can trim the braided cable dipstick to the correct length. If I remember correctly it was a bit pricy ~150 for what it is but it's also retained.

Iwanttogofast

Is this like the one you are looking for?
I just ran out to my outbuilding to take a couple of pics. Mine is worse than what shows in the pics. Not leaking yet, so perhaps double-wall constructed(?). It's too rotted for me to proceed with - either way.20220109_112443.jpg20220109_112422.jpg20220109_112332.jpg

That's it!! What do you want for it?

Dale E

@ Iwanttogofast Sorry I don't have one, I was asking for someone to send a picture, when I found this picture online. You confirmed this is it, so I will begin my resource searching. If I had it in my procession it would be yours for a cup of coffee..

I'm on the search. If you want to follow other builders lead and go with the Lokar style after market. I'll PM you.

Dale

Iwanttogofast

@ Iwanttogofast Sorry I don't have one, I was asking for someone to send a picture, when I found this picture online. You confirmed this is it, so I will begin my resource searching. If I had it in my procession it would be yours for a cup of coffee..

I'm on the search. If you want to follow other builders lead and go with the Lokar style after market. I'll PM you.

Dale
Thanks, man!! I just hate what our road salt and brine does to our vehicles here in Ohio. I wish ODOT would use cinder like they do in other states.

Putting this engine in my beautifully powder coated chassis is like putting a dress on a pig. On a positive note, my engine is extremely clean on the inside when I took off the valve cover...

20220102_113210.jpg