AZMoto #245 ext-track - 09 SS TC

AZmoto

Donor is in. It's a 2009 Cobalt SS with 67K miles. Paid a bit of a premium for it but hopefully I'll be able to recoup some of the cost as the body and interior are in very good shape. It's a Florida car and there is a fair bit of surface corrosion on all of the exposed metal parts. It doesn't look like it should be too difficult to clean off.

20201208_125415.jpg
20201208_125424.jpg
20201208_125440.jpg
20201208_130218.jpg
20201208_130224.jpg

AZmoto

The donor was delivered with no coolant as the radiator was leaking in a couple of places. I got that fixed and the radiator reinstalled. Also repaired the PCV connection at the intake. Started the car up and brought it up to temp.

Only one code: P2187 -> System too lean at idle. Gauge shows 18 in/Hg. My Solstice GXP with the same engine was around 28 at idle so it appears that I have a vacuum leak. I sprayed carb cleaner along the intake path after the intercooler and the idle jumped up to a smooth 1500 rpm and stayed there. I'm pretty satisfied with that. I'm not going to chase down an intake leak on a car that has been in a front end collision.

Next up I want to perform a compression test and get HPTuners up and running.

Anything else I should check before tearing everything apart?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Did you already check the drivetrain? Take it out for a test drive. Does it shift well? Any suspension issues? How does the oil look? Oh, and does the stereo rock? Wait, that is my inner kid.

AZmoto

After they pulled it off of the carrier I drove it to the end of the street and back and then into the garage. First, second and reverse worked fine. I didn't notice any problems.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
The LNF Cobalts did not have a Recaro option. Those are the stock SS seats. They're quite nice, I'd probably have re-used mine if one guy had not bought every piece of my donor's interior for his girlfriend's LS->SS conversion.

AZmoto

I'm still waiting to hear from Adam on the delivery schedule. He's trying to coordinate with another kit headed my direction.

dastrups

I believe mine is being shipped together with your kit. Adam said something about the shippers heading out east to ship some kits and then will be picking up ours next week hopefully. Hopefully no longer than that. So hopefully no more than two weeks for us. I actually grew up in the Chandler/Queen Creek area funny enough. Now I live in Merced, CA. They will be dropping yours off first.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I believe mine is being shipped together with your kit. Adam said something about the shippers heading out east to ship some kits and then will be picking up ours next week hopefully. Hopefully no longer than that. So hopefully no more than two weeks for us. I actually grew up in the Chandler/Queen Creek area funny enough. Now I live in Merced, CA. They will be dropping yours off first.
Im hopping mine is one of the eastbound!!

AZmoto

That's sounds right. He said the other kit was heading to CA.

AZmoto

Well I bit the bullet and just ordered a new ATK longblock.

I figure a 67k mile longblock should be be able to recoup almost half of the cost. After seeing Desert Sasquatch's new ATK motor it's just too good of a deal to pass up.

Ross

Goblin Guru
It is tempting... but I would need to buy a ECU & harness. Maybe a gauge cluster too.
A stand alone ECU, cluster & harness will cost as much as the engine!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I'm glad they ship kit together to save us some cash..
DF does as much good for us as they can, it's really amazing, tbh. My stage 1 shipped in November 2019 with I think three other kits. Initially, Adam mentioned working it out with me to use my place as a staging/pickup point for two of the other kits, which I was agreeable to, but ended up not being necessary for one reason or another.

dastrups

Well I bit the bullet and just ordered a new ATK longblock.

I figure a 67k mile longblock should be be able to recoup almost half of the cost. After seeing Desert Sasquatch's new ATK motor it's just too good of a deal to pass up.
I bit the bullet.