LNF Fuel Questions - Pump, Filter, and Baffles

ATMironov

I have a couple of questions in regards to the fuel system.
The donor is an 08 SS/TC

In one of the dismantling videos there is a brief reference to something about a low emission fuel pump not working and a standard pump would need to be purchased.
My donor was originally sold in Texas. Can anyone confirm if this fuel pump and housing will work in my build?

File_000.jpegFile_001.jpeg

Also, it looks like the fuel filter is internal to the SS/TC gas tank unlike the build videos. Does anyone know what part number fuel filter is being used with the kit?

Finally has anyone had problems with cavitation or fuel pickup?
I'm just starting down the path of looking at surge tanks and am considering asking Lonny/Adam if they could put baffles inside the tank. Just curious if anyone has had any experience.

I need to be able to run for at least 40 minutes on track which will probably be 7 to 8 gallons of fuel. So will two gallons sloshing around in the tank make it to the pump though high speed corners?

Thanks!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Yes, the TC fuel pump in different than the SC or NA pump and is the reason the TC fuel tank is different from DF. The fuel filter is in the pump and not supplied in the kit from DF. The tank has baffles in it and positioning of the fuel pump in the tank is important to prevent the float arm from hanging up on it. If there is concern for fuel starvation on the track tank modifications may be in order?

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Finally has anyone had problems with cavitation or fuel pickup?
I'm just starting down the path of looking at surge tanks and am considering asking Lonny/Adam if they could put baffles inside the tank. Just curious if anyone has had any experience.

I need to be able to run for at least 40 minutes on track which will probably be 7 to 8 gallons of fuel. So will two gallons sloshing around in the tank make it to the pump though high speed corners?
I have fuel starvation issues when the tank is less that 75% on real hard cornering so I'm putting a surge tank in mine. It's supposed to arrive today so that'll be getting mounted this weekend most likely and then I have to get it all plumbed. I'm going to be using a base model pump and housing to supply fuel to the surge tank and then the AEM pump I had in the tank will go in the surge tank.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
It doesn't look like @Fozda 's thread came to any conclusions (yet) but perhaps they could share their insight. Not sure if their plans were necessitated by fuel starvation or if they just wanted to head off any potential issues.

edit: speak of the devil! haha

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I think the turbo fuel pumps have a check valve in the bottom that allow fuel to fill the housing during right-hand turns and store it during left-hand turns.
I think they also discharge the return line pressure into the pump's housing to keep some residual fuel.
I don't know if this is enough to keep fuel pressure during long sweeping turns though.

ATMironov

Yes, the TC fuel pump in different than the SC or NA pump and is the reason the TC fuel tank is different from DF. The fuel filter is in the pump and not supplied in the kit from DF. The tank has baffles in it and positioning of the fuel pump in the tank is important to prevent the float arm from hanging up on it. If there is concern for fuel starvation on the track tank modifications may be in order?
Thanks! I was under the impression that the fuel filter was separate from the pump housing, but now I see its part of it.
Does anyone happen to have photos of inside the DF tank? I'm curious to see what the baffles look like.

ATMironov

I have fuel starvation issues when the tank is less that 75% on real hard cornering so I'm putting a surge tank in mine. It's supposed to arrive today so that'll be getting mounted this weekend most likely and then I have to get it all plumbed. I'm going to be using a base model pump and housing to supply fuel to the surge tank and then the AEM pump I had in the tank will go in the surge tank.
I would be interested to see your progress on this!

ATMironov

I think the turbo fuel pumps have a check valve in the bottom that allow fuel to fill the housing during right-hand turns and store it during left-hand turns.
I think they also discharge the return line pressure into the pump's housing to keep some residual fuel.
I don't know if this is enough to keep fuel pressure during long sweeping turns though.
The less extra stuff I can put on the car the happier I'll be, so not adding a surge tank would be great. Have you guys ever put in a trap door baffle in the tank? I was thinking a trap door baffle could be placed as close to the housing as possible while also having a couple of small holes to let the fuel level in the tank equalize slowly when off track.
I'm happy to take the conversation off line too.

ATMironov

I've posted it before and don't have personal experience with it but this seems to me like the problem Holley's Hydramat is supposed to solve.
I just came across that in your other post today. Looks like its designed for a remote fuel pump and not oem in-tank style. I'll do some research and see how the application would actually work.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I'll look at my fuel pump this weekend also since I haven't installed it yet and see how it might be adapted to it. It might involve cutting the bottom of the basket out to allow it to attach to the pump itself. It's also not cheap, so not something to do unless you really need it.

Peregrinus

*cries in LT model*

OP donor was a SS/TC, so I figured it'd be relevant.
It has the bolt on adapter, you could literally chop off the studs and drill new holes to use thier supplied bracket to install if you wanted to I'm sure. Like I said, it would just definitely require fab work for non turbo fellows like us lol super easy install.
Link to the install instructions here:

Attachments

ATMironov

It has the bolt on adapter, you could literally chop off the studs and drill new holes to use thier supplied bracket to install if you wanted to I'm sure. Like I said, it would just definitely require fab work for non turbo fellows like us lol super easy install.
Link to the install instructions here:
Now its got me thinking since my kit is not in fabrication yet, maybe I have them build the tank with out the hole in it for the OEM fuel pump, then just install the Aermotive kit

Last edited:

ATMironov

Seems like I'm making some head way on the fueling set up.
I'm looking at two options now. Both of which will require my tank to either be fabricated with out a hole for the OEM pump housing or for me to patch it after it get it.
First would be the Aeromotive Phantom Apex 340 with Jet Siphon. About $750

Second would be to go with a Holley Universal In-Tank Pump and hook it up to two 15x8 HydraMatts to cover most of the tank. About $800

Both system would required a new Fuel Level Sender. That shouldn't be an issue for me as I am not planning on using the OEM fuel gauge.

Finally someone mentioned to me today about the tank not being rated for impacts and suggested I look into bladders. A bladder won't be possible for the Goblin tank, but it did get me thinking about maybe getting the tank covered in Line X just for the purposes of containing fuel in a large impact.