r3drckt - extended track - 06 SS/SC G85

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
So for all of you running extreme summer or autocross tires R888 included. How do they wear for normal driving? I don't want to spend $1k on a set of tires because they look cool and 5k miles later they are smoked.
Wish I could tell you. I’m assuming with the car being much lighter, they shouldn’t wear as quickly. I don’t plan on autocross or tracking the goblin. But I know that PS4S tires in 275/35/19 still spun on my 2020 z4 M40i with 400whp.

Since I don’t plan to ever be driving the goblin in rain, I can forgo wet traction for the most part.

My theory is that the rear bias weight distribution, wide/sticky tires will help the goblin hook better when pushing 350+ whp.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have only bought 1 set of spacers, but they have worked well for me.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I have only bought 1 set of spacers, but they have worked well for me.
I saw that website, my only issue is that they only let you select the vehicle from a list, not specify custom inputs like the 5x114.3 bolt pattern of the new hubs from DF.

I guess I could cancel the hubs with DF and just buy new from the store since I’m going to need spacers/adapters regardless.

Peregrinus

So for all of you running extreme summer or autocross tires R888 included. How do they wear for normal driving? I don't want to spend $1k on a set of tires because they look cool and 5k miles later they are smoked.
I probably would get something other than r888s if you want any kind of sustainable longevity out of tires. They will stick you to the ground very well, but are a far cry from a long lasting tire.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Or just explain that you are using Cobalt hubs that have been modified to 114.3mm bolt pattern, and then specify your wheels.
You might be able to run long wheel studs, and just have 5 bolt holes in your spacers.

pisco

I was hoping to have it finished this weekend, but family has been needing my attention so had to stop on the harness
I underestimated the length of the wiring videos severely.
I’m worried my project will be stuck soon. Baby comes in a april and I doubt I’ll have a shred of free time for months.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I underestimated the length of the wiring videos severely.
I’m worried my project will be stuck soon. Baby comes in a april and I doubt I’ll have a shred of free time for months.
If you don’t want to piss off the new momma, ya you won’t have much free time. Congrats on the baby though! My daughter is 1.5yo and she keeps us busy herself, leaving little free time for my wife and I to do things we want.

Like you, I underestimated the videos as well. Figured an 8 minute video would take maybe 30-45 minutes of wiring to complete. I got half way through video 5 and stopped where they have you grab the headlight harness. Garage was getting too cold to stand and do that kind of work any longer. Will pick back up tomorrow.

pisco

If you don’t want to piss off the new momma, ya you won’t have much free time. Congrats on the baby though! My daughter is 1.5yo and she keeps us busy herself, leaving little free time for my wife and I to do things we want.

Like you, I underestimated the videos as well. Figured an 8 minute video would take maybe 30-45 minutes of wiring to complete. I got half way through video 5 and stopped where they have you grab the headlight harness. Garage was getting too cold to stand and do that kind of work any longer. Will pick back up tomorrow.
Sometimes seems like going to work is a break.
we have two in diapers still, potty training currently and adding one feels almost suicidal at this point.
As far as the wiring videos go I feel like it gets more extremes a you go. I spent a lot of time going back and looking for what was what in earlier videos.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Sometimes seems like going to work is a break.
we have two in diapers still, potty training currently and adding one feels almost suicidal at this point.
As far as the wiring videos go I feel like it gets more extremes a you go. I spent a lot of time going back and looking for what was what in earlier videos.
As I stripped the harnesses, I relabeled the wires /connectors of what they are/were and where they came from as I pulled them through. Being colorblind, when he says “pull the yellow and green wires from the BCM to the fuse box,” I was looking at the wires I had pulled over the end of the table laying on the floor, found what looked to be yellow and green and read the label. Yup, the tail light wire goes to the back and so does the coolant connector. It’s been helping me so far... until he said “you should have 2 wires for the fuel pump draped over the fuse box,” ... but you had me pull 3 to the fuse box in earlier videos? Soooo I have an extra fuel pump wire by the fuse box at the moment haha. I’ll address it later

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Working on part 6 of the wire harness videos, step 6 says to solder the 4 ground wires together (ground lug, fuel pump, coolant tank, and fuse box). Problem is, I’m not seeing a “fuse box” ground anywhere in my bundle, at least not one that is black. Is this supposed to be the black extension wire that was laid out in step 2 of the video? Step 2 said it was for the intercooler water pump, but that’s the only other black wire in the bundle near the front without going into the headlight harness area.

On the fuse box, I have a ground plug coming off the headlight block that’s 1ft long (taped just like the previous video said to do, but I didn’t have anywhere near as much cable length in total that the video showed).

Attachments

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Working on part 6 of the wire harness videos, step 6 says to solder the 4 ground wires together (ground lug, fuel pump, coolant tank, and fuse box). Problem is, I’m not seeing a “fuse box” ground anywhere in my bundle, at least not one that is black. Is this supposed to be the black extension wire that was laid out in step 2 of the video? Step 2 said it was for the intercooler water pump, but that’s the only other black wire in the bundle near the front without going into the headlight harness area.

On the fuse box, I have a ground plug coming off the headlight block that’s 1ft long (taped just like the previous video said to do, but I didn’t have anywhere near as much cable length in total that the video showed).
Go and read through my thread, I had the same problem.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru

Page 5

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Thanks, so lonny said 3 of the extended wires stay at the back of the goblin (fuse box side) for tail lights and license plate light. He didn’t mention that forth extended wire, which I’m assuming for us is what he was referring to since we don’t “need” an intercooler water pump ground (being SS/SC, we are already wired for it in the harness). Regardless, so long as I don’t have any loose/ungrounded black or black/white wires in the harness, where they are grounded does not matter (frame or to the engine).

Basically I could grab all ground wires at the front and solder them together right now if I wanted and it’d work.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
And those 4 extended wires came from that white/square fuse block in the previous video which I’m guessing is the “fuse block ground”

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Just about finished up with video 6 for the harness. I'm at the last few minutes working on the rear light wiring bundle. I was pretty cautious to relabel the wires that I cut from connectors as I thinned the harness so I could hopefully avoid any issues later on. However, I'm now having issues with the rear tail light wiring. Keep in mind I'm colorblind and had my wife also look at these wires who isn't colorblind:

Wires I have in the bundle include:
1 yellow
3 black
2 light green
2 brown (1 labeled license plate, 1 labeled driver tail light) **EDIT** 3 brown
1 dark green/brown (couldn't tell due to poor lighting and dirty wires) **EDIT** No dark green in my bundle. Where does this come from?
1 blue

Video says:
Driver tails gets a light green, brown, yellow and black
Passenger tail gets light green, dark green, brown and black
License Plate gets brown and black

But I only have 2 brown at the back??? So I go back to the junction in the harness and trace out the cables as follows:
3 total going towards the BCM:
- 2 loose going towards the BCM
- 1 connects to red multiplug on BCM
4 total going towards the fuse box area:
- 3 loose going towards rear lights bundle (2 brown and 1 dark green)
- 1 has a long loop and then goes towards the fuse box. It either goes towards the engine harness connection or one of the multiplugs in the fuse box. I lost it behind tape and didn't want to un-tape everything up there.

From what I can remember, I didn't thin anything from this junction. But I also do not see any loose brown wires near the fuse box area coming from the large bundle. Can anyone provide some insight on this and tell me where I messed up please?

**EDIT**
Cleaned the wires at the junction with a clorox wipe and took a strong flashlight to them with my wife. All wires at the junction are brown. So I have 3 brown in my light bundle, no dark green wire (Thanks mom for making me colorblind >.< ) Where does the Dark Green wire come from?

Last edited:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure where you messed up, but don't fret over it. You can just split one of the browns that goes to the taillights. These wires carry 12v to the running lights, which your license plate light needs. It's very low current so won't cause any problems.

*edit* Pretty sure one of the "3 loose going towards rear lights bundle" should be for the license plate light.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure where you messed up, but don't fret over it. You can just split one of the browns that goes to the taillights. These wires carry 12v to the running lights, which your license plate light needs. It's very low current so won't cause any problems.

*edit* Pretty sure one of the "3 loose going towards rear lights bundle" should be for the license plate light.
Yes, I had one labeled for the license plate light so I put that and a black wire bundled together. I also took the one brown I had labeled for the Driver Tail and bundled that for that one. I'm missing the dark green wire, not a brown. Fixed the post above.