Aftermarket solid shifter?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
SACTX,

While I appreciate your efforts on this, I'm going to pull my name from the list. Reason being, my primary concern with the shifter (the plastic clamps) is being addressed by DF as we speak. Otherwise, my shifter has minimal slop and is satisfactory for me. I have to draw the spending line somewhere, you know?

Maybe I can hop aboard the train next time it comes around.

SACTX

SACTX,

While I appreciate your efforts on this, I'm going to pull my name from the list. Reason being, my primary concern with the shifter (the plastic clamps) is being addressed by DF as we speak. Otherwise, my shifter has minimal slop and is satisfactory for me. I have to draw the spending line somewhere, you know?

Maybe I can hop aboard the train next time it comes around.
No problem! Odds are that there will be leftovers. In order to get the quantity discounts I have to order more than the people that were already on the list.
Shoot me a message later if something changes.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
So what time frame are we thinking on the base plate (I hate to be that guy)? A month maybe? I'll be in still if we aren't talking to much longer than that. I hope to be to the point of installing the shifter by then and all of the talk of the base wiggling has me planning on reinforcing it anyway. At some point I could just make a whole new stiffer mounting point.

SACTX

A month or less that’s what I’m looking for.

The majority of the hardware will be here next week. I am still contemplating ordering the shifters because we’ve had a few people ask for them. The base plates are as simple as cut out so those can be ready just about any time.

I am still waiting on a confirmation for a lead time on some of the adapters. After I ordered they came back and told me that part of the order would be up to seven weeks...

Those are the adapters for the reversers so that part of the kit may have to ship later. They are also the easiest part to swap out later…

I will let everyone know what I find out as soon as I find out.

WYGoblin

SACTX if you want you can put me towards the bottom of the list. Right now I don't foresee me driving anywhere till at least late March or April, still winter here. Even if I do take it out mine drives right now, this is just an upgrade. So if for some reason you don't get everything for everyone I can wait a little bit so you can fill other orders first.

SACTX

SACTX if you want you can put me towards the bottom of the list. Right now I don't foresee me driving anywhere till at least late March or April, still winter here. Even if I do take it out mine drives right now, this is just an upgrade. So if for some reason you don't get everything for everyone I can wait a little bit so you can fill other orders first.
Thank you!

ATMironov

Same for me! My Frame is still at least two months out. I'm in no rush.

SACTX

I have a couple of updates for everyone.

1st update:
I received confirmation late yesterday that some of the adapters are going to be "up to" 7 weeks. Made in China, I'm guessing, and their New Year's celebration starts in a couple of days. They're off for a month... I'll have enough hardware coming in for 10 full hardware kits, as I designed it, next week and then it'll be up to 7 weeks for the rest.

I can make a small change and get the rest faster. I can switch it to 1/4" stainless all-thread for these connections and have all of the hardware next week. I haven't tested it but it'll be essentially the same as comes with the kit. 1/4" = 6.35mm. This will also be about $10 cheaper since we'll be getting rid of some of the adapters.

I figured on using 3/8" all-thread because of flex in the all-thread. The linkages are not directly in line with each other and you need a semi-linear motion applied from an angle. That'll cause flex in the all-thread unless it is thick enough to resist it. This especially applies to the front to back linkage. If you look at my pictures and videos, you'll see what I'm looking at. That's why I went to 3/8", which has been questioned about being overkill before, but that's why I did it that way. I was going for the ultimate rigidity.

I'm working on a set up with the 1/4" to compare but it'll be a few days.

On a first come first serve basis, removing people who already told me they could wait, the first 10 would be:
@TheNuker
@Cheddar
@Peregrinus
@Justin
@dastrups
@Lando217
@Sparvy
@Vwsaabvt
@Towerdog
@Gtstorey

If you can wait or want to change regardless of your place in line, please send me a message to let me know.

2nd update:
I've order a bunch of shifters direct from the supplier. The final unmodified price for the shifter is going to be $115.00. Modification will be another $20. This will include cutting the end off, cleaning the cut edges, and a quick brushed type finish applied.

I'm awaiting a tracking number to follow shipping and they didn't quote a shipping time but expect it to be a couple of weeks. I'll confirm with everyone who ordered a shifter exactly what they want before shipping out.

Thank you everyone.

Last edited:

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
No problem! Odds are that there will be leftovers. In order to get the quantity discounts I have to order more than the people that were already on the list.
Shoot me a message later if something changes.

1st update:
I received confirmation late yesterday that some of the adapters are going to be "up to" 7 weeks. Made in China, I'm guessing, and their New Year's celebration starts in a couple of days. They're off for a month... I'll have enough hardware coming in for 10 full hardware kits, as I designed it, next week and then it'll be up to 7 weeks for the rest.

I can make a small change and get the rest faster. I can switch it to 1/4" stainless all-thread for these connections and have all of the hardware next week. I haven't tested it but it'll be essentially the same as comes with the kit. 1/4" = 6.35mm. This will also be about $10 cheaper since we'll be getting rid of some of the adapters.

I figured on using 3/8" all-thread because of flex in the all-thread. The linkages are not directly in line with each other and you need a semi-linear motion applied from an angle. That'll cause flex in the all-thread unless it is thick enough to resist it. This especially applies to the front to back linkage. If you look at my pictures and videos, you'll see what I'm looking at. That's why I went to 3/8", which has been questioned about being overkill before, but that's why I did it that way. I was going for the ultimate rigidity.

On a first come first serve basis, removing people who already told me they could wait, the first 10 would be:
@TheNuker
@Cheddar
@Justin
@dastrups
@Lando217
@Sparvy
@Vwsaabvt
@Towerdog
@Gtstorey

If you can wait or want to change regardless of your place in line, please send me a message to let me know.

2nd update:
I've order a bunch of shifters direct from the supplier. The final unmodified price for the shifter is going to be $115.00. Modification will be another $20. This will include cutting the end off, cleaning the cut edges, and a quick brushed type finish applied.

I'm awaiting a tracking number to following shipping and they didn't quote a shipping time but expect it to be a couple of weeks. I'll confirm with everyone who ordered a shifter exactly what they want before shipping out.

Thank you everyone.
do you have an overall price yet for a plug and play shifter?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Without doing calculations that I haven't done in a long time, the resistance to deformation of stainless steel is almost 3x that of aluminum and the cross section area of 3/8 to 1/4 is about 0.5x. The additional diameter of 3/8 aluminum vs 1/4 stainless will make up some of the difference, but I think the resistance to bending will be similar. If I can get some extra time, I'll see if I can dig through the old textbooks and see if I can calculate the difference.

What is the rough length of the rods?

SACTX

Without doing calculations that I haven't done in a long time, the resistance to deformation of stainless steel is almost 3x that of aluminum and the cross section area of 3/8 to 1/4 is about 0.5x. The additional diameter of 3/8 aluminum vs 1/4 stainless will make up some of the difference, but I think the resistance to bending will be similar. If I can get some extra time, I'll see if I can dig through the old textbooks and see if I can calculate the difference.

What is the rough length of the rods?
Figure about 7" or so, I think. I was just comparing by bending a pieces of 1/4" and 3/8" that we had laying around the shop. The 3/8" thick aluminum all-thread was not hand bendable in a 2 foot long section. :)

Actually, I also looked up the tensile strength and sheer limit of both and took a WAG that the deflection would be comparable. The 1/4" SS 18-8 all thread has a TS of 70,000 psi to give a TS of the 1/4" rod of 2,520 and sheer of 1,580 using 60% (as a guess). The 3/4" 6061 all thread has a TS of 40,000 but the extra thickness gives a TS for this rod of 3,100 and a sheer of 1,860 using the same 60%. The 3/8" aluminum rod is about 23% stronger based on this math.

I am definitely not an engineer so I just looked up formulas and tensile strength area of threaded rods online (engineeringtoolbox.com and there were a couple of bolt mfgs that had the same formulas) and this seemed pretty accurate based on trying to hand bend the threads that I had at the shop. Let me know if these are wrong or if I'm going down the wrong hole.

Last edited:

SACTX

do you have an overall price yet for a plug and play shifter?
I have updated the first page on the Group Buy thread with updated pricing and info.

Final pricing for a fully ready to go plug and play shifter set up is going to be $317.00 plus shipping. This includes all hardware, the base plate, and the shifter already cut down. I have it broken down on the other thread into items that you can pick and choose. Take out there reversers, cut it yourself, 1/4" stainless all-thread, etc.

SACTX

That's a great deal, especially considering all the effort you're putting into this. Nice work!
Thank you Ark! I really wanted to fix this in my car from day one. It was the first thing I saw when I first rode in Jason's car and about the only thing I didn't like in my car.

I've worked hard to get it right and get everyone a good deal. This price is almost the same as what I spent to get the OTTP short shifter, bushings, adapters, and all-thread for my old set up. This is a phenomenally better combination. It's night and day, both in looks and operation.

Thanks again!

Lando217

1st update:

@TheNuker
@Cheddar
@Justin
@dastrups
@Lando217
@Sparvy
@Vwsaabvt
@Towerdog
@Gtstorey

2nd update:

I'm awaiting a tracking number to following shipping and they didn't quote a shipping time but expect it to be a couple of weeks. I'll confirm with everyone who ordered a shifter exactly what they want before shipping out.

Thank you everyone.
Not enough thanks for all the work you have done man! when ready just let me know where to send the money and total!