Aftermarket solid shifter?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Figure about 7" or so, I think. I was just comparing by bending a pieces of 1/4" and 3/8" that we had laying around the shop. The 3/8" thick aluminum all-thread was not hand bendable in a 2 foot long section. :)

Actually, I also looked up the tensile strength and sheer limit of both and took a WAG that the deflection would be comparable. The 1/4" SS 18-8 all thread has a TS of 70,000 psi to give a TS of the 1/4" rod of 2,520 and sheer of 1,580 using 60% (as a guess). The 3/4" 6061 all thread has a TS of 40,000 but the extra thickness gives a TS for this rod of 3,100 and a sheer of 1,860 using the same 60%. The 3/8" aluminum rod is about 23% stronger based on this math.

I am definitely not an engineer so I just looked up formulas and tensile strength area of threaded rods online (engineeringtoolbox.com and there were a couple of bolt mfgs that had the same formulas) and this seemed pretty accurate based on trying to hand bend the threads that I had at the shop. Let me know if these are wrong or if I'm going down the wrong hole.
You really have to use the Modulus of Elasticity for Metals (amesweb.info) which is a measurement of how stiff a material is. This if factored with the shape. A hollow rod will be stiffer that a solid rod for the same material cross section area. Here is an online calculator for bending; Deflection calculation (converteraccessory.com) for a rod.

But it looks like my first guess was wrong and the deflection of a 3/8" AL is about 1/2 of 1/4" SS for the same load. The moment of inertia for the larger diameter over rides the higher Mod of Elast.

This is not really a comment on whether the deflection of the 1/4" SS would be a problem, but if the 3/8 AL is at all questionable, the 1/4 SS would be a lot worse.

SACTX

You really have to use the Modulus of Elasticity for Metals (amesweb.info) which is a measurement of how stiff a material is. This if factored with the shape. A hollow rod will be stiffer that a solid rod for the same material cross section area. Here is an online calculator for bending; Deflection calculation (converteraccessory.com) for a rod.

But it looks like my first guess was wrong and the deflection of a 3/8" AL is about 1/2 of 1/4" SS for the same load. The moment of inertia for the larger diameter over rides the higher Mod of Elast.

This is not really a comment on whether the deflection of the 1/4" SS would be a problem, but if the 3/8 AL is at all questionable, the 1/4 SS would be a lot worse.
See, that's why I should have asked you :)

The 3/8"AL is SOLID. I think that 1/4" SS would be fine as well but I haven't tried it. The stock set up works using 6MM.

Thanks!

Peregrinus

I'm definitely interested in seeing the full hardware install and difference between the alum and SS.

Sidenote:
I also liked the way dcmonkey did it with threaded hex rod in the start of the thread. That eliminates allthread entirely

Attached a pic from earlier In the thread from dc.

Sadly the lengths and thread lengths from the link are all standard lengths. So it's likely not cost effective at all to get some made.

Attachments

Last edited:

SACTX

I have had a couple of people ask about payment and I want to address it. I am not taking any money right now. I don’t want it until your kit is ready to ship.

@TheNuker is cutting all of the base plates out. He’s going to be cutting them with his new machine that will be delivered on the 16th February, I believe. That is a little bit longer than I first said but I did not understand that he wanted to cut them with the new machine that he was getting.

I will send each of you a message when your kit Is ready to go and collect money then. The first group should be going out between the 23rd and 28th of February. The rest of the kits should all be going out somewhere around the middle of March.

SACTX

I got the pivot hardware installed. It made a huge difference! It’s hard to put into Context a quantity of wiggle, but it wiggles much less than it did before :).

it is much more solid and connected than it was without the pivot hardware being installed.

dastrups

I got the pivot hardware installed. It made a huge difference! It’s hard to put into Context a quantity of wiggle, but it wiggles much less than it did before :).

it is much more solid and connected than it was without the pivot hardware being installed.

Awesome!! Looks like you’ve done a fabulous job! Let me know when you are ready and I will send payment for all hardware and base. Thank you again!

SACTX

Another quick update post.

I drove the car for about 100miles of mostly city style driving this weekend, tuning for the TVS, and the shifter performed flawlessly. There was some pretty aggressive driving involved :). The wood base started flexing a little and that made me glad we went with the metal we did.

TheNuker got me the first metal base to install and I took about 10 minutes with 220 grit sandpaper to put a quick random brush on it. It looks nice but does need some edge work. That'll be with sand paper as well. I'll be installing it today or tomorrow to confirm fitment one more time and we'll be good to go.

Reaction and observations from driving.
1. My stock shifter naturally returned to neutral right between 1st and 2nd. That meant going into 1st was just pushing forward. This shifter neutrals right between 3rd and 4th so moving the shifter to the left to get to 1st took some getting used to.
2. The throw is smooth and engagement is solid and it feels great. On the stock set up, there were multiple times that I wasn't sure that I even made it into gear. It just didn't have much feedback. This one has definite feedback.

I saved the best news for last. I found some more of the adapters that were causing the backup on the deliveries. They were very slightly more expensive but not bad. I now have enough coming to put together 20 sets of hardware at the end of the month rather than 10. The rest will still be mid-March. :cool:

Attachments

Last edited:

SACTX

Is someone here making this a full parts list to purchase. Very interested and theres just so much to read
Buy it here. I bought a bunch of parts in bulk. It's cheaper than you can buy on your own. I'll put you one the list if you want one.

SACTX

New update.

Sorting day and a real surprise!

We ended Up getting the back ordered parts early. Ladies and gentlemen we have enough to fill everyone’s orders on the first go around. I had no idea it came in because I ended up getting so many boxes of hardware I lost track of it all!

The first set of hardware went to @TheNuker today so he can do a mock up install blindly and confirm that everything works the way it supposed to on his car as well before we start shipping these things out to everybody.

The first delivery of shifters from China was being delivered today. The rest will probably be delivered on Monday.

The rest of the day will be cutting all thread and putting stuff together.

We are getting very very close.

Please make sure to pass this on and let everyone know if you like it once you get it. In order to make pricing work I had to order 50 sets of hardware. Basically, most things come in sets of 25 or 50 and the way the price breaks worked out it was better to go ahead and order enough for 50 full sets. I have a large amount of money in parts sitting on this table. I would appreciate y’all’s help getting it moved :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Peregrinus

Awesome! Super excited. I have shared this already with as many people as I know from the local goblin community here. Hopefully ya sell most of them quickly!

Sparvy

New update.

Sorting day and a real surprise!

We ended Up getting the back ordered parts early. Ladies and gentlemen we have enough to fill everyone’s orders on the first go around. I had no idea it came in because I ended up getting so many boxes of hardware I lost track of it all!

The first set of hardware went to @TheNuker today so he can do a mock up install blindly and confirm that everything works the way it supposed to on his car as well before we start shipping these things out to everybody.

The first delivery of shifters from China was being delivered today. The rest will probably be delivered on Monday.

The rest of the day will be cutting all thread and putting stuff together.

We are getting very very close.

Please make sure to pass this on and let everyone know if you like it once you get it. In order to make pricing work I had to order 50 sets of hardware. Basically, most things come in sets of 25 or 50 and the way the price breaks worked out it was better to go ahead and order enough for 50 full sets. I have a large amount of money in parts sitting on this table. I would appreciate y’all’s help getting it moved :)
That's an awesome pile of metal you've got going there. When your ready just say so and I'll get a few more dollars back in your pocket. The little guy looks to be enjoying the process as well (gotta get the next generation into cars).

Brett

So, SACTX swung by with the rest of the Houston Goblin crew and I got to play with the shifter. This is an awesome improvement over the Cobalt shifter. Much more precise and basically zero play. When I rebuild, one of these will be installed.

SACTX

Next update:

First post is edited with a list of orders.

The shifter and linkages worked well this weekend. Thursday I drove it to work and back (65-70miles) , drove to Brett's place on Saturday (another 80 miles or so), then drove 65 miles each way to autocross and raced. I did have one pivot screw loosen up a little. It might need a little blue loctite on it after it's set where you want it. I'm also going to try and put a SS washer between the SRE and the pivot. I think the rod end is touch the pivot and the edge of the screw in 5th gear and can slightly loosen it. I'll confirm that before they all go out. Other than that, it performed flawlessly. Everyone who tried it loved it.

The shifters arrived from China yesterday and we are getting started on modifying them this week.

We're still putting together hardware sets. Alan likes working on them. They're like big tinker toys. The sets will be shipped with the all-thread cut to fit the furthest rear adjustment holes (as they fit in my car and hopefully TheNuker's car). If you move it forward, you'll cut ~1/2" for each set of holes you move it to the front of the car. It's aluminum all-thread so it cuts in about 3 min with a hacksaw. The short one is the left-right connection and the longer one is the front-back connection. They can only go one way but I thought it'd be good to put it here.

@TheNuker should receive his hardware set today and hopefully we'll be able to confirm all of the install works as it did on mine in the next week or so.

We should still be on schedule to start shipping by the end of the month.

One more question, everyone should kind of know how to do these but I wanted to see if anyone needs instructions.... They're going to be shipped with the linkages assembled, the screws in separate baggies, and the lower pivot SRE in separate bags. Let me know if you need some instructions. I don't want to leave anyone hanging and not able to install.

SACTX

I believe the installation will be pretty obvious. A few key close-up shots of your shifter should be all that's needed, methinks.
That's what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure no one was left hanging. They essentially install just like the stock ones do with just a few changes.

Brett

My thoughts on documentation:

Why not create a basic document with photo's and bullet points on the shifter install. Things like the Loctite info could be a bullet point. Either post it as a shared doc or on the forum and then just edit it if there are issues.

I tend to go to a shared document since forums can have issues.

That way you don't have to include paper that goes out of date in the kit and the community can help update as necessary.

I find that community documentation typically works better when there is something to start with.

Brett

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
I have updated the first page on the Group Buy thread with updated pricing and info.

Final pricing for a fully ready to go plug and play shifter set up is going to be $317.00 plus shipping. This includes all hardware, the base plate, and the shifter already cut down. I have it broken down on the other thread into items that you can pick and choose. Take out there reversers, cut it yourself, 1/4" stainless all-thread, etc.
Okay I’m about to sound like a tool. By reverse do you mean the cables connect from the back and don’t have to travel under the shifter like the stock ones?

SACTX

Okay I’m about to sound like a tool. By reverse do you mean the cables connect from the back and don’t have to travel under the shifter like the stock ones?
It works like the stock set up. The reverser is the pivot hardware that DF supplies.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Wow this project really took off. Nice job everyone!

I’m still questioning keeping the reversing linkage at all. I got rid of them and go straight from shifter to cable. I’m guessing it’s not a problem for you guys?