TheDons track, easy entry, 09 ss/tc build #273

TheDon

This will be my first time building a kit car.
I owned an Aztec avenger gt-40 kit car on vw chassis with corvair spider engine years ago and have done my fair share of maintenance and custom fabrication over the years. I was looking for something like a porsche cayman s, when I came across the Goblin. The goal is to have it at the auto-X tracks this year. Previous auto-X experience has all been Porsche and VW.
It would be ideal to have everything prepped before the frame shows up. I've completed the cobalt tear down and have started the on harness. I still have to find a transmission or ill be tearing my lsd trans apart for a 1st to 2nd gear synchro. Other project cars/daily driver repairs can be seen on Instagram nightmechanic.

Attachments

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Good looking donor! You should have plenty of time to get everything prepped, They are slammed right now,,, I ordered mine in Oct just got word today that it should be here in two weeks.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I was looking for something like a porsche cayman s, when I came across the Goblin. The goal is to have it at the auto-X tracks this year. Previous auto-X experience has all been Porsche and VW.
Be prepared for the Porsche guys to shun you. :( I have had a few of them not even look my way when lined up next to them on the grid.

Good doner. You are going to give them hell.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you have your order in, there will be lead time for sure. If you are prepared, the build itself can go quite quick and you will be ready to go. Do a lot of research on everything you want to do to the car but if you want have it ready by this summer, don't get too bogged down with customization and fabrication.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
This will be my first time building a kit car.
I owned an Aztec avenger gt-40 kit car on vw chassis with corvair spider engine years ago and have done my fair share of maintenance and custom fabrication over the years. I was looking for something like a porsche cayman s, when I came across the Goblin. The goal is to have it at the auto-X tracks this year. Previous auto-X experience has all been Porsche and VW.
It would be ideal to have everything prepped before the frame shows up. I've completed the cobalt tear down and have started the on harness. I still have to find a transmission or ill be tearing my lsd trans apart for a 1st to 2nd gear synchro. Other project cars/daily driver repairs can be seen on Instagram nightmechanic.
Take your time and label everything and clean all your parts. I know I thought I had to hurry and get done and then you are sitting around asking yourself what can I do now. So you start buying new parts that you really don’t need. LOL
WELCOME MY GOBLIN BROTHER !!
It will be awhile until you see this truck pull up to a neighborhood near you. Do yourself a favor and make a dolly ( MY 2x4’s are long ) but I didn’t want to cut them to use just for this , So I found some carpet the neighbor was throwing away. Put your Goblin on your dolly so you can haul it inside and want need to worry about unloading. The driver has one but he doesn’t like to help unload. (SORRY THAT WAS THE LAST LOAD OF POWDER COAT ONES. COST TO MUCH TO PREPARE FOR SHIPPING.)

Attachments

Last edited:

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Take your time and label everything and clean all your parts. I know I thought I had to hurry and get done and then you are sitting around asking yourself what can I do now. So you start buying new parts that you really don’t need. LOL
WELCOME MY GOBLIN BROTHER !!
It will be awhile until you see this truck pull up to a neighborhood near you. Do yourself a favor and make a dolly ( MY 2x4’s are long ) but I didn’t want to cut them to use just for this , So I found some carpet the neighbor was throwing away. Put your Goblin on your dolly so you can haul it inside and want need to worry about unloading. The driver has one but he doesn’t like to help unload. (SORRY THAT WAS THE LAST LOAD OF POWDER COAT ONES. COST TO MUCH TO PREPARE FOR SHIPPING.)
I have the 1500lb metal harbor freight wheel dolly’s I was planning on using. Do you think they will work. I’m chassis #254. Mines been done for a week or so but the transporter was first sick with COVID then their truck broke down so it’s looking February 26th delivery for me

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I have the 1500lb metal harbor freight wheel dolly’s I was planning on using. Do you think they will work. I’m chassis #254. Mines been done for a week or so but the transporter was first sick with COVID then their truck broke down so it’s looking February 26th delivery for me
Did they tell you the 26th? I was told they were getting picked up on the 17th..

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Did they tell you the 26th? I was told they were getting picked up on the 17th..
They are now picking up on the 18th and gave a window of 24th-26th but probably the 26th. He’s not sure if he will do Ohio, Michigan, Illinois or the other way around

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Oof don't tell me #254 is still 2 weeks out from delivery :eek: I'm #261 and was hoping to have my kit end of February/Beginning of March. Mine goes in the jig next week

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Oof don't tell me #254 is still 2 weeks out from delivery :eek: I'm #261 and was hoping to have my kit end of February/Beginning of March. Mine goes in the jig next week
Adam is doing everything he can to get the kits out. There are 9 going out on this truck so one of them may be yours. Where are you located

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Don't get too exited I am frame #250 it was welded on Jan 18th sounds like it is getting picked up for delivery in the 18th of this month. Besides the fact DF is swamped I guess there were some delays with the shipper and if you want to save on shipping you have to wait on other frames in your area to get completed.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Yes because you don’t have the engine or none of the heavy parts, brakes , axles, fuel, and etc.

GoblinGal

Goblin Guru
Hey, no worries! We're on track for your frame to hit the jig by Valentines weekend! A shipment of like 8 or 9 chassis was scheduled to go out on the 8th. Sadly our shipper called us late in the day on the 5th & told us they couldn't be here till the 17th. We're steadily producing, we just hit a snag shipping. Hang in there!

95Blitz

Hey, no worries! We're on track for your frame to hit the jig by Valentines weekend! A shipment of like 8 or 9 chassis was scheduled to go out on the 8th. Sadly our shipper called us late in the day on the 5th & told us they couldn't be here till the 17th. We're steadily producing, we just hit a snag shipping. Hang in there!
Is that shipment also heading down south to me?

TheDon

I'll have to pick mine up at a shipping location trucks don't like my dead-end dirt road. Bought that donor from a pic and had a friend pick it up looked super clean in and out but bottom was all rotted out I did everyone a favor getting it off the road. Maybe I've been spoiled working on porsches but there was so much rot and bolts that broke on tear down. I have an 87 924s that I've never stripped or broke a bolt on and it's not a garage queen.

95Blitz

I'll have to pick mine up at a shipping location trucks don't like my dead-end dirt road. Bought that donor from a pic and had a friend pick it up looked super clean in and out but bottom was all rotted out I did everyone a favor getting it off the road. Maybe I've been spoiled working on porsches but there was so much rot and bolts that broke on tear down. I have an 87 924s that I've never stripped or broke a bolt on and it's not a garage queen.
Mine was the same way it was from the rust belt.