2009 turbo SS

Lonewolf170

Hi forum. I've been searching lately for a cobalt either supercharged or turbo and stumbled upon this one in my area. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3610152222447838/ It sounds like the syncros are bad in the transmission so gears above 2 do not work from talking with him. Is this worth taken a look at? The supercharged cobalts in the chicago area are running 3500 that I've seen on the marketplace. Unsure what a trans costs or a rebuild on it.

Thanks,
Jacob

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
That's a lot of money for a car with a bad transmission and 190K on it. DF may have a transmission that will bolt up to it, I don't know if any are left.

Lonewolf170

That's a lot of money for a car with a bad transmission and 190K on it. DF may have a transmission that will bolt up to it, I don't know if any are left.
Not disagreeing. Was hoping to talk him down if everything else checked out. I know the budget estimator said 3500 for the turbo cobalt and the used car market is just crazy right now. The cheaper the donor the better, from what I've seen I can't copart from IL locations so would have to ship, then that starts to bring extra costs.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Not a bad thing to get a turbo. If you can talk him down due to the trans issues, it would be nice to have.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Rust belt donor, it will likely have lots of corrosion in all the wrong places to make disassembly more difficult and probably require replacement parts anyway. As already stated, lots of miles and a bad transmission, this should be a $1500 car at best from a private seller. If this person will not deal down, then keep looking.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Fully agree with DS. I paid $2200 for my SS/SC with a slipping clutch, the guy originally wanted 3k. Told him I’d pay $3k if he put in a new clutch, otherwise I have to factor that into the cost of the vehicle.

Lonewolf170

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes sadly living by chicago means having to deal with rust more than likely. The Ss/sc are similar priced with various issues. Will be thinking about this more, though unsure likely of making it since don't believe anyone has been successful is this "great" state. Though I know of the montana route.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes sadly living by chicago means having to deal with rust more than likely. The Ss/sc are similar priced with various issues. Will be thinking about this more, though unsure likely of making it since don't believe anyone has been successful is this "great" state. Though I know of the montana route.
'Hello, Montana? I'd like to start my own company and I have a really cool car to register as an asset.' :D

Indy Lonnie

I looked for 3+ months for my 2009 turbo SS. I finally found one through IAAI. I got good at searching and one finally came up in my area. I won with a $2700 but bid $5500. I didn't want to lose. I was told they were going for $5000+. Mine was here in the rust belt with 125,000 miles. I couldn't be happier.

Lonny about freaked when he saw my front hubs I brought for him to redrill. Thet were caked with salt. He had never seen anything like that in Texas... :oops:

Looked normal to me!

Lonewolf170

I looked for 3+ months for my 2009 turbo SS. I finally found one through IAAI. I got good at searching and one finally came up in my area. I won with a $2700 but bid $5500. I didn't want to lose. I was told they were going for $5000+. Mine was here in the rust belt with 125,000 miles. I couldn't be happier.

Lonny about freaked when he saw my front hubs I brought for him to redrill. Thet were caked with salt. He had never seen anything like that in Texas... :oops:

Looked normal to me!
Not sure about IAAI, but if I read copart correctly, cars need to be shipped out of IL if won in IL. Would be great if I had misread that. Also Indy, I like your front splitter. Are you local to Indianapolis? I went to Butler and been meaning to visit again would love to take a look at your goblin.

Indy Lonnie

I'm just south in Greenwood. I'm about 20-25 min south of the campus. Butler has changes alot since they did so well in Basketball...

Your welcome anytime!

IAAI is a little pricy with the fees and yearly membership, but it served me well. When I won my car, they were surprised I wanted it towed to my house. Most drivable cars are driven home. Didn't know that when I went there to pick it up. I was almost sorry when I tore mine apart. It was a nice car except for the deer to the front. It could have been easily fixed. There was a base model - the same color - the same auction that went for less than $500 hit in the rear that could have fixed it. Both were drivable.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Interesting. He put in forged pistons, but didn't use forged connecting rods? That LSJ engine has a forged crank, but now the weak point is the stock connecting rods. I would consider this a better option, but health and maintenance of the engine is still an unknown bigger factor.

Lonewolf170

Interesting. He put in forged pistons, but didn't use forged connecting rods? That LSJ engine has a forged crank, but now the weak point is the stock connecting rods. I would consider this a better option, but health and maintenance of the engine is still an unknown bigger factor.
I can ask him about rods that's a good point. He says he has 6k in engine work (30k miles since refresh) and 1k on clutch.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
See if he can send you the receipt for the work that was done so you have better idea if what was completed.