TheDons track, easy entry, 09 ss/tc build #273

TheDon

I think I would be happy with any of the colors it was the hardest goblin decision so far, now to pick a body color?

TheDon

While trying to mount my intercooler noticed someone cut off a mounting stud? This a common mod? Looks like it's off to ebay for a new one.

Still not sure if this hose in second pic is right car drove and boosted good best I can tell from my tear down pics this is how it was?
Frame due back from powder any day now can't wait to really get started.

Attachments

TheDon

Not sure what to do dropped frame off for powder was told 2-3 weeks.
Tomorrow makes 5 weeks have called multiple times and left messages with no response. Do I just show up with trailer and get in line somewhere else or stick it out how much longer? They came highly recommended as best in my area and at 1200 for frame floor firewall and a box full of brackets I felt it was reasonably priced.
I've lost alote of build time.

Brett

That sucks and that seems like a fair price. I would probably drive over and knock on the door and see what's going on. I have a tendency to give people the benefit of a doubt.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I’d swing on by and see what’s going on. Calls and messages going unanswered would definitely warrant a stop for me.

I’ve been fighting delays myself. Was hoping to have the car assembled by now and working through registration. Dropped the frame off at the fab shop April 15th and was quoted 2-3 weeks. Been calling weekly ever since the 1 month mark and keep being told they had a large order come in and had to put my project on hold. I get it, they can make more money on this larger job, but word of mouth can really damage business.

Just picked up my engine stuff as well at the 3 week mark when I was told 1-2 weeks. I called Tuesday and it sounded like it had been sitting for some time and they told me they’d have the cylinders honed by lunch today for pickup. Don’t understand what has happened to customer service during this pandemic, but it’s the worst I’ve seen in years

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
5 weeks and $1200!? Hopefully you have other options.

When I went to go get the car wrapped, they quoted $900 and didn't even start the design for 3-4 weeks. I ended up buying online and wrapping it ourselves for $125 or something. A couple of months later they called me and said they were ready to get started. I told them I just figured they weren't interested in the work since it took so long and I had already got it wrapped.

TheDon

The powder shop is over an hour away and I've been on call for 2 weeks, so can't even drive over until monday

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Yeah I think powder coaters are super busy right now, I'm not really sure why. They would not even give me a time on my stage 2 parts when I dropped them off. It ended up taking 4 weeks....

Nuker-

ComposiMo

Utilizing sandbags, some steel poles or something, and some cinder blocks (Obviously do not include wood in the process), if you have the room to build it, you can build a temporary oven, and use a propane heater to get the temps up... just has to get to 350-400 depending on your powder, and hold it there for 20 minutes... then cool down... Powder coating is not rocket science. a harbor freight sandblaster ought to do the trick... blow it off and make sure its clean... and then get one of those Eastwood powder guns... Start in the tight areas, coat them well, watch for Faraday effects, and coat it. I'd build a small rollable rack for the chassis, coat it right outside the oven, then roll it in... be sure to use all metal wheels with no plastic or greased bearings :)

For that much money and time, you could DIY that, and it'd feel that much better than you did and save $$ ;)

and then now that you have the powder gun, get a smaller oven for small parts, or just diy that to, using oven parts.

(used to powder coat my own manufactured parts, i'm very familiar with the process)