Ross's extended city, easy entry Goblin- 06 SS/SC, NW Arkansas

Ross

Goblin Guru
The flat tow home from autocross resulted in my van throwing a rock at mad Max, and punctured the radiator.

So I watched a YouTube video that showed me how to solder repair an aluminum radiator using MAPP gas.

That was way too much heat. Time to use the other radiator that was straightened after an autocross incident.

And add a grill to try to protect it from rocks. I bent some rebar in the shape of the grill, but it didn't want to lay in there perfectly, so I decided to cut it into 3 pieces. I welded some 1/4" bolts onto the rebar. The expanded metal was left over from a subwoofer project I did a year ago... so free!

Some white paint and epoxy glue, and bolted it in place.

The radiator lower tank is visible thru the grill...

So a little black paint on the lower radiator, and I am happy with the new grill. Hopefully, no more rocks.

Last edited:

MJP61

The flat tow home from autocross resulted in my van throwing a rock at mad Max, and punctured the radiator.
View attachment 25025

So I watched a YouTube video that showed me how to solder repair an aluminum radiator using mapping gas.
View attachment 25026
That was way too much heat. Time to use the other radiator that was straightened after an autocross incident.

And add a grill to try to protect it from rocks. I bent some rebar in the shape of the grill, but it didn't want to lay in there perfectly, so I decided to cut it into 3 pieces. I welded some 1/4" bolts onto the rebar. The expanded metal was left over from a subwoofer project I did a year ago... so free!
View attachment 25028

Some white paint and epoxy glue, and bolted it in place.
View attachment 25029

The radiator lower tank is visible thru the grill...
View attachment 25030

So a little black paint on the lower radiator, and I am happy with the new grill. Hopefully, no more rocks.
View attachment 25032
Looks very clean!!!

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I dropped a metal tie bracket into my out door AC unit when I built my deck. Bought those Alum brazing rods, used reg propane in my trigger/plumbers torch and its been running strong for 5 years now.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I will try that. A spare radiator for wouldn't be a bad thing... even if it is down one core.

pisco

if there is an old school radiator shop around you they could dip it. If not there is one here in Omaha, Benson radiator. Ive had them fix equipment radiators before.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I will try that. A spare radiator for wouldn't be a bad thing... even if it is down one core.
My kid put her bike handle bar through my radiator last year. Direct drop in with a 92-00 Honda civic radiator. It was fairly cheap (looks like price went up $15) and had it next day.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Well that changed things. Keeps the sun off you, but now I get a little more wind on the eyes, and I feel the radiator heat a bit more than before.
I'm hoping that I get some laminar airflow to the mid-mounted wing. Not sure if it will, but I mocked it up with a few sticks of wood.
I did extend the aluminum sheet about 6" behind the roll bar. Now I need to extend the front firewall up, to the hood. This will force the hot radiator wind out the sides and bottom... which might just roll back into the cabin when it gets to the open doors... not sure... someone probably knows the answer, as they have already tested this. I am planning on following @Desert Sasqwatch idea of diverting cool air above the radiator, to the cabin. Maybe that will help pressurize the cabin and keep the hot air outside the door area.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
That would keep the heat back. It also makes the front lighter.. which isn't optimal. I already moved the intercooler radiator back behind the headrest