JSATX Front wing build

JSATX

Goblin Guru
There's a few other threads dealing with front wings already but I'm going to try and detail mine from start to finish here.

The skeleton of the wing will be 3D printed. I've already done a few test sections and even at low density it's much stronger than I expected. The wing is broken up into 4" sections for printing. Locator holes are placed along the centerline for an aluminum tube to make joining the printed sections easy and much stronger. Once the printed sections are complete they will be joined into three large sections (middle and two ends) I will vacuum bag and resin infuse 3-4 layers of 6K 2x2 carbon fiber cloth.

This is the first rough draft. Using the NACA 4412 profile and basically going to attach it in front of the bottom edge of the radiator. The two mounts will slide into a C channel and be pinned in an adjustable bracket welded to the car. Small Gurney flap and endplates not shown. Probably going to be close to 150hr print, but I think it'll be well worth it in the end.

Front wing V2.jpg

JSATX

Goblin Guru
What are the sizes of the 3D printed sections? Will you make those files available at some point?
Sections longest dimension is wing chord which is only 7” and yes once I’m happy with the design I’ll share it. Still have a lot of work to go. The mount is going to be aluminum plate integral to the aluminum tubes. That’s the part I’m working on now and it’s taking longer than expected.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Justin, will you be able to adjust the angle of incidence for the wing? I understand the CAD drawing is referenced to a datum for design purposes. Will the pillar mounts in the center section be adjustable/trimmable to angle the whole piece more nose down if needed?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Justin, will you be able to adjust the angle of incidence for the wing? I understand the CAD drawing is referenced to a datum for design purposes. Will the pillar mounts in the center section be adjustable/trimmable to angle the whole piece more nose down if needed?
Yes, the mount will allow for ~5 additional degrees. The end plates will also be replaceable, and include adding a second element attached to the end plate if desired.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
That's really cool.

What do you expect this to weight once it's done and what are you doing for strength reinforcement at the transitions.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Nope. I made one half and decided I’d rather make a new nosecone with fenders/ front splitter all integrated so I doubt I’ll ever pick it back up.