Another Tire size Question (SQ setup?)

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Just got my 17x9 Vors (offset 30) TR4 wheels in yesterday. Now it's on to ordering tires. My Goblin will likely never see a race track or autocross. For mainly back road/curvy road use, is there any reason for not going with 275/40-17 tires on all four corners? I'm not concerned with stance/looks and not worried if I need to add spacers as long as the are somewhere around 1" or less.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
275/40-17 tires put you at the same diameter as the 18" SS stock tires. I went 275/40-17 on the rear and 255-40-17 on the front but now wish I would have gone square so I could rotate them.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I'm going square setup as well for the ability to rotate as well. Make sure you get some sub 300 tread wear tires. The Goblin being so light, you will get better life out of them than if they were on a 3500lb vehicle and you'll still get the better traction. Don't wanna see any more wrecked Goblins if we can help it ;)

Brett

There are a ton of 200tw tires and many great 100tw tires.

I plan on going with 100tw Toyo RA1 275/35/18's when my rebuild happens.

As stated before, given the low weight of a Goblin, even 100tw tires will last for awhile. I think I will be able to get about 5k miles out of a set, as long as I keep my foot out of it. This would be with general driving, not 100% track time.

Scott #321

I am considering the same rims for my build and according to my research they should clear without spacers. Would you post if this is indeed the case?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I am considering the same rims for my build and according to my research they should clear without spacers. Would you post if this is indeed the case?
Yes, but may be a couple of weeks since I will have to get the tires delivered, mounted and alignment set to be able to conform 100%.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I have nearly 5,000 miles on mine with about a dozen autoX's. I still have 60% -70% tread left! And, I am here to tell ya that they have been scrubbed hard so far.
Lonny had the same tire as me on his Orange Goblin and has never worn them out. How many burnouts and donuts has he done in his parking lot with a potential customer riding along????!!!!! :)

When I buy replacements, they will be even softer tires.

Brett is right. 200 tread wear tires will last a long time.

Wheel Make / Model: Klutch ML7 brushed silver
Front Wheel - Size / Offset / Bolt Pattern: 17x9 20 5X110 mm
Rear Wheel - Size / Offset / Bolt Pattern: 7x9 20 5X110 mm
Wheel Weight in lbs.: 23
Tire Make / Model: Proxes R1R 200 tread wear
Front Tire Size: 275/40/17
Rear Tire Size: 275/40/17

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I had over 5000 miles on my 100 treadware tires and the fronts probably had 3000 miles left the rears at least 1000. The car is so light I don't know why anyone would put the 300+ TW tires on these things.

Nuker-

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I ordered the Falken RT660 in 4x 275/40. I was a little worried about the wet weather performance of the 100tw tires, since we often go all summer with at least a chance of showers almost everyday. I probably should have asked on here about the wet weather performance of some of the race/competition tires before I ordered.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I ordered the Falken RT660 in 4x 275/40. I was a little worried about the wet weather performance of the 100tw tires, since we often go all summer with at least a chance of showers almost everyday. I probably should have asked on here about the wet weather performance of some of the race/competition tires before I ordered.
The R888Rs do decent in the rain, I ran into a couple really bad downpours driving home in the first goblin. The real problem is keeping the windshield clear enough to even see.

Nuker-

Dsteinhorst

I don't know why anyone would put the 300+ TW tires on these things.
Rocks. My RT660s throw rocks everywhere. Standard street tires aren't nearly as bad. I'm considering getting a second set with street tires just to avoid damage to the mirrors and power coat, and to prevent my daughter from getting hit by flying debris from the tires.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
The Vors wheels fit with the coilovers but not the Cobalt struts. I’m sure my alignment could be tweaked some but about a finger width of clearance on all four corners. I did have to get some extended lug nuts and the threaded portion of the rear axle will have to be trimmed to pretty close to the nut to get the center caps on.