JS City Goblin - 2010 LS

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Is the gearbox in both pretty comparable? I like the idea, and most people on here have done some work to the engine when they are building it. So, upgrading a base model as you've done isn't a bad idea.
unfortunately that is the weak link here. But I’ve considered that as well, when (not if) I blow my transmission I’ll be going to the Saab 9-3 6 speed.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Is the gearbox in both pretty comparable? I like the idea, and most people on here have done some work to the engine when they are building it. So, upgrading a base model as you've done isn't a bad idea.
All that being said, the LSJ is by far the best deal. No internal upgrades needed and with a smallish turbo like gt28 you’d have a hell of a setup

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Also note that these horsepower numbers are absolutely stupid. I’m doing it because it’s a lot of fun to build and for no other reason. The vast majority of people have no idea how quick a 170hp Goblin is.

But as I’ve stated in the past, my goal since day one is 3.0 seconds to 60mph. I think I’ll have that soon.

KJP

You can pick up the f35(SS trans) pretty cheap
I am not sure if the bell housing is the same or not

JSATX

Goblin Guru
You can pick up the f35(SS trans) pretty cheap
I am not sure if the bell housing is the same or not
Bell housings are the same across all variants of the ecotec including Saab. It’s the flywheel that’s different between models.

KJP

unfortunately that is the weak link here. But I’ve considered that as well, when (not if) I blow my transmission I’ll be going to the Saab 9-3 6 speed.
Are you going to buy the zzp kit? I am planning on running the f40 but may try getting around spending the 2k on their kit. I asked if they would sell just the pieces I need but they weren't willing to

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Are you going to buy the zzp kit? I am planning on running the f40 but may try getting around spending the 2k on their kit. I asked if they would sell just the pieces I need but they weren't willing to
No I’m not. I would buy a wrecked 9-3 and just make it work. I can buy a wrecked Saab and have a custom flywheel machined from scratch for less than $2k.

I appreciate zzp serving this market but they are way over priced on everything.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Because the flywheels are different from model to model. The Saab tramission bolts to any ecotec but the saab flywheel does not bolt to Chevy cranks. That’s my understanding anyway.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I’m really hoping that the light weight of the car helps transmission longevity.
I have the same concern. It seems one of the most common failures on these transmissions is 3rd gear. I know fuel curves can be adjusted as mitigation. I found a website of a company a while back that custom builds these transmissions and also sells upgraded parts; they actually had pictures of a transmission apart and were pointing out all of the weak spots internally. Can’t remember the company’s name though.

George

Goblin Guru
Because the flywheels are different from model to model. The Saab tramission bolts to any ecotec but the saab flywheel does not bolt to Chevy cranks. That’s my understanding anyway.
I am installing a ZZP aluminum flywheel to my 2004 SAAB 9-3 crankshaft. It all has been balanced.
Brad