Wheel and tire advice

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
That tire pressure will probably be cut in half. I’m at 11f/13r on my r888r’s for autocross, but it’ll all depend on how they roll and wear.

Chris_WNC

For the 100 to 200 tw tires, are they all going to be rock chunkers?

My new house is going to have a half mile long gravel driveway. I’m just curious if I should dump my high TW all season tires for something different or if that is going to create other problems for me.

CHRIS

Ross

Goblin Guru
Rock chucking is more about tread that grab small stones and chuck them. The autocross track is the only place I can get 100tw tires hot enough to stick and throw stones. 200tw R1R tires barely pick up stones at the track. The street just keeps the rubber too cold. I have 1/2 mile of gravel driveway too.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
For the 100 to 200 tw tires, are they all going to be rock chunkers?

My new house is going to have a half mile long gravel driveway. I’m just curious if I should dump my high TW all season tires for something different or if that is going to create other problems for me.

CHRIS
Fitting the side panels made a huge difference in the amount of gravel actually making it inside my car. For reference, I'm on 200TW Maxxis Victra VR-1s.

Brocker

Appreciate all of your kind responses to my post. I had to settle. Wanted Konig's but couldn't get the wheels desired until, maybe, December. Called Luke at Tire Rack. He's building track car and was knowledgeable about the subject. CHAT does not work well for kit cars (my opinion). Paid more than I wanted and didn't get the color desired but they should be fine (it'll be dirty on the track anyway). Here's the order.
16x7 Enkei Racing RPF1 Bright Sil
2​
In Stock​
$229.65​
$459.30
17x8.5 Enkei Racing RPF1 Bright Sil
2​
In Stock​
$257.58​
$515.16
205/50R-16 Yokohama ADVAN A052 7/32" Starting Tread Depth XL
Download Warranty Brochure PDF
2​
In Stock​
$223.82​
$447.64
Includes Free Road Hazard Protection ($43.36 value. Two-year coverage.)​
$0.00​
Note:

For fast, simple claim processing submit your claim here.

Claims can also be initiated by calling (855) 623-0468.

RHP Reference Number(s): 550006000334, 550006000335​
Retail Tire Registration Card
1​
In Stock​
N/C​
N/C
245/40R-17 Yokohama ADVAN A052 7/32" Starting Tread Depth XL
2​
In Stoc​

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Appreciate all of your kind responses to my post. I had to settle. Wanted Konig's but couldn't get the wheels desired until, maybe, December. Called Luke at Tire Rack. He's building track car and was knowledgeable about the subject. CHAT does not work well for kit cars (my opinion). Paid more than I wanted and didn't get the color desired but they should be fine (it'll be dirty on the track anyway). Here's the order.
2​
In Stock​
$229.65​
$459.30
2​
In Stock​
$257.58​
$515.16
2​
In Stock​
$223.82​
$447.64
$0.00​
Note:

1​
In Stock​
N/C​
N/C
2​
In Stoc​
That is a nice setup should be well balanced. Those tires heat up very fast so if you decide to do an autocross bring a tire sprayer.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I've been learning so much about tires! But still need to know more...

I've never seen people spraying down tires at autocross. Just using water in a garden sprayer?

Anybody have recommendations on a tire thermometer/pyrometer to purchase?

Why did Jermey wrap his tires? Does it somehow make them last longer?
View attachment 27379
[/QUOTE]
Wrapping the race tires after use helps keep the solvents in the tire from evaporating, causing the tire to harden up.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
2​
In Stock​
$229.65​
$459.30
2​
In Stock​
$257.58​
$515.16
2​
In Stock​
$223.82​
$447.64
$0.00​
Note:

1​
In Stock​
N/C​
N/C
2​
In Stoc​
I don't remember seeing what bolt pattern you are using. If 4x100, Goodwin Racing usually carrys a good stock of Konigs and good pricing. Yes they're a Miata based site but it doesnt mean the wheels dont fit.
Bought my Dial-In's from them and tires from Tire Rack.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
@JBINTX all 4 corners right? Also can you say more about stud size/thread pitch for the studs, and the thread pitch of the lug nuts you used?
Yes, all four corners have spacers and same size tires and wheels.
You will need to trim of the studs a little so they do not protrude beyond the spacer. A grinder and a cutoff wheel makes quick work of it. Be careful to not damage the threads. Not ideal, but neither are spacers.......
Pictures show the part numbers and threads. I am not sure all Cobalts are the same stud sizes. Mine is 2009 tc for those who read this later.

IMG_0756.jpgIMG_0758.jpgIMG_0760.jpg

ccgillett

Yes, all four corners have spacers and same size tires and wheels.
You will need to trim of the studs a little so they do not protrude beyond the spacer. A grinder and a cutoff wheel makes quick work of it. Be careful to not damage the threads. Not ideal, but neither are spacers.......
Pictures show the part numbers and threads. I am not sure all Cobalts are the same stud sizes. Mine is 2009 tc for those who read this later.

View attachment 27565View attachment 27566View attachment 27567
Thank you VERY much, this is awesome. Really appreciate it.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Don't believe a hardened nut will gain much as a thread chaser, but it may last a few more studs than a standard nut. Personally, I would have a set of nuts for one corner (4 or 5), put them all on the studs before trimming. That set should last through all 4 corners before getting too galled up, standard or hardened.

dastrups

This is the similar to Justin reeds current setup however they now make it in a 275 width which I wish I had. He is now running that. A little too much stretch on my setup. Next set for sure. Also mine is a 4.5 in backspace and I think I would switch to 5.5 in backspace for the front. Can’t speak to how they are in the wet. Probably not great. So many options out there and they probably all work great. Hard to decide.

Attachments

ccgillett

Best thought is if a hub goes bad, it is easily sourced with a stock replacement.

Wheel choices are limited with the stock lug pattern.

Depending on the wheel, you may not have much of a choice on the back spacing. With a steel wheel like I have, they offer several options - they just weld the face in more or out more on the wheel to change the backspacing.

I chose to set the wheels outboard just a little to ensure clearances. Also give it a “wide” athletic stance…. ;)
although the extra cantilever with the sticky tire did find the failure point of the stock suspension bracket. :(

uswheeladapters.com
1” thick
5x110 to 5x114.3
Hey @JBINTX , when you are installing the wheel hubs referenced here, did you use stock wheel studs or a different size? I ordered this exact part from US Wheel Adapters (nice guys btw). When I went put them on they seem to "almost" fit. I compared the part number that I received to the one you posted in a picture, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong or if there's a wheel size difference.

Last edited:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Hey @JBINTX , when you are installing the wheel hubs referenced here, did you use stock wheel studs or a different size? I ordered this exact part from US Wheel Adapters (nice guys btw). When I went put them on they seem to "almost" fit. I compared the part number that I received to the one you posted in a picture, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong or if there's a wheel size difference.
Almost fit? You have a pic?
I did have to cut the studs shorter (see above) so that they did not extend beyond the mounting face. They are stud located so the conical nuts need to center it properly.

ccgillett

Almost fit? You have a pic?
I did have to cut the studs shorter (see above) so that they did not extend beyond the mounting face. They are stud located so the conical nuts need to center it properly.
@JBINTX grumble grumble I figured it out, sigh. I bought 5x110 which is based on the stock hubs that you have on your car. They clearly don't fit mine so I took a few measurements and dug into the documents that came with my car - I bought this one as a work in progress. In the specs for the donor it's mentioned "5x114.3 hubs". So weirdly I need a custom 1" thick spacer that is 5x114.3 to 5x4.5". I say "weirdly" because 114.3mm is....4.5" .

By the way, the new wheels - same spec as yours - arrived today as well and look fantastic. Slicks will be here in April. Must wrench....