Jay’s Build Log- Track Goblin, extended #323, 07 SS SC

jayrolls

First Start

The engine started but is surging really bad. Popped the following codes
P0036 HO2 heater circuit 2 and P0054 HO2 circuit 2. I have now turned off HO2 Bank 1 Sensor 2 everything in HPTuners.
P0443, P0449, P0452 all evap codes. I have now turned off all of them in HPTuners.
P0300 Engine Misfire. During the build I installed new plugs and used the old coils. Will start with checking the plugs and the wiring to the coils. Didn’t have this in the donor.
P2229 Baro sensor high voltage.
So the P0300 & P2229 are my problems.
And the exhaust paint I used burned straight off. Going to have to try something else.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I read voltage across the hot and the ground. I also read voltage going positive on the connector to ground on the battery and ground on the connector to positive on the battery. Any of the 3 ways I read it it’s the same.
If you feel froggy, find another power source and add pos and neg to the fan and see if it turns on, but overall it sound like a bad fan. Upgrade to a spal.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
First Start

P0036 HO2 heater circuit 2 and P0054 HO2 circuit 2. I have now turned off HO2 Bank 1 Sensor 2 everything in HPTuners.
P0443, P0449, P0452 all evap codes. I have now turned off all of them in HPTuners.
P0300 Engine Misfire. During the build I installed new plugs and used the old coils. Will start with checking the plugs and the wiring to the coils. Didn’t have this in the donor.
And the exhaust paint I used burned straight off. Going to have to try something else.
For the exhaust paint, try VHT as its made to take the heat of an exhaust. If it burns off, you have other things to worry about. Only about $10 a can.

jayrolls

For the exhaust paint, try VHT as its made to take the heat of an exhaust. If it burns off, you have other things to worry about. Only about $10 a can.

Unused VHT and it cooked straight off. I think once I have the surging corrected I am going to send the exhaust to JetHot to get coated.

jayrolls

If you feel froggy, find another power source and add pos and neg to the fan and see if it turns on, but overall it sound like a bad fan. Upgrade to a spal.
I can jump it from another 12v source to see if that changes anything. Just gonna be a pain it the arse to have to remove it to replace.

jayrolls

First Start

Checked made sure the coils where in the correct cylinder. Pulled the plugs they are pretty gas fouled. And looking at the threads in the plugs, it looks like one might have been blowing by. Going to get new plugs and try again. Hopefully that will help. Also need to get help with what to start trying to adjust on the tune. I know the 3.0 pulley and 60# injectors would need to be tuned, but didn’t think it would be so far off to start with. New at this whole tuning ideal.

Attachments

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Ya. 60# injectors makes a big difference. I still don’t have mine completely sorted out yet, running a 2.9 pulley though.

jayrolls

Ya. 60# injectors makes a big difference. I still don’t have mine completely sorted out yet, running a 2.9 pulley though.
Can you send a screenshot of your fuel rate as you currently have it. I’m sure the 2.9 vs 3.0 will make some difference but need to have at least a good starting point for the 60# injectors.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I can when I get to my laptop at home, but there’s a difference between 06 and 07. I may have a tune for 07 though.

jayrolls

Engine run day 2.
installed new plugs and tried to play with the tune. Still surging between 1000-2000 rpm. Still has P0300, maybe a bad coil. Can’t figure out how to see which cylinder is counting the most misfires through HP Tuners. Going to pull the plugs again and see how they look. You can smell the fuel vapors pretty bad when running so I know I am super rich. Now have P1101 and P2261. Have to look at those as well. Here is the Tune that i am trying to use and the data logger that I was able to get. Still have to learn how to read it.

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
An IR thermometer pointed at the exhaust ports can help identify a cylinder that is running cooler (the misfire).

jayrolls

An IR thermometer pointed at the exhaust ports can help identify a cylinder that is running cooler (the misfire).
Be honest did not even think of that. I am going to switch to 42# injectors, with the 3.0 pulley if I should be at the GM stage 2 kit.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Pppfff. You and your fancy stuff. Lick your finger and touch each exhaust port. The one that doesn’t make your finger burn is the dead hole. :D

Seriously, this was how I learned back in the day. :eek:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Be honest did not even think of that. I am going to switch to 42# injectors, with the 3.0 pulley if I should be at the GM stage 2 kit.
Pm me your email. I have the gm stage 2 tune for a 07 SS/sc. I really liked that tune/setup.