Houston SCCA Autocross

Scott #321

Looks like you guys had fun. Went to my first autocross today in Kansas. Lessons learned, #1 my car desperately needs lsd/quafie for this kind of driving and with mid 40's air and pavement the car went straight from oversteer to loose like a whip in no time. Upgrades over winter......

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
We had an awesome time. I had my best weekend ever. Gris got a bunch of really good pictures!
Just wait till Alan can ride with you!!
We are getting the color palette filled in. Just need Goblins in green, red, black, purple, pink……. ;)

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Looks like you guys had fun. Went to my first autocross today in Kansas. Lessons learned, #1 my car desperately needs lsd/quafie for this kind of driving and with mid 40's air and pavement the car went straight from oversteer to loose like a whip in no time. Upgrades over winter......
No matter what tires you have in temps like that, you are gonna have trouble gripping.
When it warms, have a plan to make changes. Try to change one at a time - tire pressure, shock settings, camber, etc.
And post your findings. With pics!!! :)

SACTX

Just wait till Alan can ride with you!!
We are getting the color palette filled in. Just need Goblins in green, red, black, purple, pink……. ;)
No kidding. He rode back today from Russell’s and was sad that it was over!

SACTX

Goblin Down! Goblin Down!

It was a horrible feeling to get back to grid and hear that there was a Goblin Down. Jason was the last of the crew out so we were all back in grid not knowing what was going on.

Lonny was on point helping out and a huge THANK YOU to DF from all of the Houston crew. This really is the best Kit Car company on the planet.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I don’t know how you guys stay on course.:D It’s amazing to me. Same thing with my wife when she at horse shows riding a hunter course that has her criss crossing all over the place.

CHRIS
If all else fails, they also lay down a white “chalk” line (actually flour) to mark the course. There are places that we cross that line on purpose, but mostly it helps visually with the cones. Usually takes three runs to get comfortable with the course.
Ross and Dale did pretty awesome with us. Such a treat to have them visit for the weekend.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
We also got to ride in and drive Dale E’s stalker. I rode with dale at autocross and it’s a completely different sensation riding in it. He was running a few seconds slower than us, but the car was well planted on the ground and you could tell there was a lot left on the table.

The next day he brought it to my house so we could go for a drive. That was an experience. On the surface, the car doesn’t seem like it’s something I would like or want to build. You know, “not quite my style”. But let me tell you, once you dig into it, it’s very intriguing. Driving it fits you like a glove. The steering is very easy and effortless, but positive and on point. It will go wherever you tell it too, no questions asked. Brakes are firm and steady and the engine has power at every rpm. No need to spin it up. The bonus is like the goblin, all the important parts to the drivetrain are GM and easily available anywhere. Learning about It really changed my mind and could be a future build and have a ton of fun doing it.

I would also like to thank Dale E for all the conversations, plus coming out and running with us. The knowledge he has about suspensions is incredible. He gave us a lot of information on how to set up our suspensions and how to tweak them, plus a few ideas on how to redesign everything (which is a bit further than I want to go at the moment).

Overall it was a great weekend and hope to do it again sometime.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It’s already been a month. :eek: Tomorrow’s layout looks really fast in some places and wtf in others. :oops: Weather should hold out other than being muggy. Around 70ish-80 with 10000% humidity :eek:
2DF93452-FAE5-4337-B393-FCC8420CFF70.jpeg

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
If you don’t square off on it correctly at the beginning, it’s all over. Not to mention, it’ll be wot to that first cone then gotta get settled to make the slaloms at a steady throttle. You’ll want to go fast, but you really can’t.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Ppeeewww. That was a fast track. Fastest I have ever done for autocross. The slalom wasn’t as bad as expected, but we were right, you don’t set that up correctly and you are done. I think I got it right maybe twice. It was a long day, but fun. Pics and video coming soon.
3721AE7C-A92D-4E86-8F40-82A556DAD013.jpeg