Mahkoi's #299. Ext Track. SS Turbo.

Mahkoi

I figured I should start a build thread. Donor was a badly wrecked 08 SS purchased September of 2020. Stage 1 parts arrived June of 2021. I've completed the stage 1 parts and will be ordering the remaining parts in the next month or so (hopefully picking them up to meet the DF crew). Stage 1 parts went fairly smooth with just some minor issues. The frame is powder coated in jungle grey. Engine cradle, floor pans and misc parts are in Steel-it black spray paint. Before I started it was a toss up between the Goblin or a motorcycle. So since I picked the Goblin I decided to make my color scheme for the Goblin resemble the bike I was considering which was the grey and yellow yamaha fz-07.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Looks like you've got a good start on your build! Would you mind posting some additional pics of your dash setup?

Mahkoi

Looks like you've got a good start on your build! Would you mind posting some additional pics of your dash setup?
I just got the last piece in last night to make all the new gauges work. I added a oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp, and EGT gauage to the dash. I'm using the glowshift 7 color tinted gauges. Time will tell if they hold up for the cheap price they were compared to other gauges. I added their mechanical boost gauge as well since my donors was missing when I bought it. The gauge holder is some 1/4in plastic scrap I had laying around that I put some carbon fiber looking vinyl wrap from Amazon on.
20220203_213826.jpg
20220203_213804.jpg

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I expect the GlowShift fuel pressure gauge on my vette has failed after only a couple of years and a few thousand miles. Haven't had a chance to put a mechanical gauge on it to confirm though.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
I just got the last piece in last night to make all the new gauges work. I added a oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp, and EGT gauage to the dash. I'm using the glowshift 7 color tinted gauges. Time will tell if they hold up for the cheap price they were compared to other gauges. I added their mechanical boost gauge as well since my donors was missing when I bought it. The gauge holder is some 1/4in plastic scrap I had laying around that I put some carbon fiber looking vinyl wrap from Amazon on. View attachment 30431View attachment 30432
your tire is low LOL

Mahkoi

I keep looking at the space/fitment of the turbo outlet and crossbar on the frame and it doesn't look right. I've tried looking at other TC cars and it hasn't put my mind to ease because it's hard to tell. Is this normal for a turbo car and the intake pipes fit ok or do I have issues?
20220204_204459.jpg
20220204_204408.jpg
20220204_204344.jpg

Mahkoi

Stole this pic from @SmsDetroit. looks like you might be to far forward? I don’t have a turbo car to go out and measure.
That's what I thought too but my mounting locations match the build videos for the engine mount bolts on a TC and the solid trans mounts bolt up so the engine is in the right place. I guess looking at that pic of smsdetroit the intake tube jumps past the lip on the outlet and it would be close to what I have for space.

Scott #321

Looks just like mine did. DF has a shorter turbo outlet that allows the hose to route under the frame or like me you can machine the existing outlet.

Mahkoi

Looks just like mine did. DF has a shorter turbo outlet that allows the hose to route under the frame or like me you can machine the existing outlet.
Thank you. Didn't know they had outlet options. I had this paranoid thought I somehow got a non tc frame.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
It has been a while. Doesn’t DF supply a shorter outlet for the turbo on top?
There is a good pic in this post:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Yes I freaked out too when I tried to put the turbo piping on. I called DF and they said they must have missed shipping me the shorter pipe. They had one out to me in 2 days. Love this company

Mahkoi

I've got an idea but figured I'd get some input. My original plan was no side panels. Then I watched this video (enjoy the turbo sounds) and the clear side panel idea popped up. Clear won't look right with my build but a dark smoke tinted side panel would look good with my color scheme. It's not even close to a top priority for the car but just an idea that's stuck in my head. Something along the lines of this Polaris roof for the side panels. I've done some searching but I'll haven't found anything big enough to work. Has anyone else looked into the clear or tinted side panels?
Screenshot_20220206-212106_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: