[GUIDE] Montana Registration

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
A lot of it will depend on where you live and power to weight ratios. Allstate, progressive and hagerty wouldn’t touch mine. When they asked how much it weighed, engine and horsepower (I even said a much lower hp than it has) they declined quickly. Well, hagerty took my money then canceled my policy a day later, then I had to ask for my money back. :rolleyes:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Sounds like quoting a 2005 NA engine power (145) and loading up your Goblin with your largest friend and some extra 'luggage' before hitting the weight scale is a requirement. o_O:rolleyes: 'A yeah, my Goblin comes in at 2300lbs, and that big thing making noise on the intake is just a second air filter, I swear it!

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Processive said mine was high due to Vin# not recognized in their system and all the safety features it did not have, they did not ask about weight, engine or HP.

My local county law enforcement officer just refused to sign my Montana MV20 form because the Montana DOJ website used the words "Local law enforcement officials"

https://dojmt.gov/driving/vehicle-identification-number-vin-inspections/

"Local law enforcement officials, driver license exam station staff, and participating local county treasurer’s motor vehicle office staff are authorized to perform Stage I VIN inspections. The VIN inspector must complete the appropriate sections of the Vehicle/OHV Identification Number Inspection (Form MV20) during the inspection."

Any suggestions?

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Not sure why this individual officer found it necessary to go to their web page? I had my part of the form pre-filled out, I even filled his part out to save him the trouble, handed it to him, he signed it and was on his way.

I might just tow it to their office and have someone else verify the vin and sign it?

Agree - had my portion filled out and he had already filled out his portion but wanted to make sure what he was doing was legal; thus the web search. Unfortunately, the Montana DOJ website comments do not align 100% with the MV20 form.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Just got the following along with Title as an electronic download, should I assume that my plate has been put in the mail?

For some reason they changed the model from what I had on the form as "Goblin" to "Goblin 57 Roadster"?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
You are the proud owner of a 1957 Goblin hotrod, not sure what vehicle built in 1957 it resembles, but hey its registered! :D Congrats!

Edit: forgot that the first Lotus Seven was built in 1957, guess someone in Montana knows something about car history and decided your pictures of the Goblin are close enough! :cool:

Last edited:

Jareth

Goblin Guru
decided your pictures of the Goblin are close enough! :cool:
The process did not require any photos to be included, they must have in their database from past Goblins that someone compared it to a Lotus Seven?

From the front I can see it, not so much from the side.

Last edited:

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Now that we are approaching TAX Time do any of us that live in Florida with a Montana LLC need to do anything special?

Do I need to get a EIN - Tax id #

My LLC has zero profit and zero expenses

Last edited:

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
I believe all you need to do is file an annual report. The people in Montana that did your LLC should do that for you when required. Mine was just filed. Cost $49. Check with them.

Attachments

Last edited:

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Now that we are approaching TAX Time do any of us that live in Florida with a Montana LLC need to do anything special?

Do I need to get a EIN - Tax id #

My LLC has zero profit and zero expenses

You don't register the business with the IRS. Basically when starting a business there's two steps

1. Setting up the business and getting the EIN.
2. Letting the IRS know you're operating <-- you don't do this part

If you were to ever be forced to register with the IRS (via audit or other) your expenses (ex. $49 All Day / Year ) would be more than your revenue but you'd still have to file for those years you didn't. Then, you'd just close the business and start the process over again....