DF Intercooler Effectiveness

gofast

Does anyone have an opinion on how well the DF water-to-air intercooler with NACA ducting works in a SS/TC application? Other than a tune, my engine will remain stock, the car driven in a Wisconsin climate on rural roads, no racing planned. My donor came with a ZZP air-to-air intercooler and I'm wondering if there would be much benefit in attaching it? It's heavy, bulky and looks like it would add a lot of drag. I don't want to bother with it unless there would be a substantial benefit. Thanks!

Ross

Goblin Guru
Cooling the air is an important part of a turbo car. The ECU will pull out a bunch of spark timing if the air gets too hot in the intake. So basically your car won't gain much benefit of the turbo without some cooling.

Both the DF water to air (W2A) intercooler system or the ZZP A2A system will work. Pick which one your like more. The W2A system has a lot of thermal mass (water) that can absorb heat quickly, and cool it off later. The A2A system has little thermal mass (aluminum), so it only cools what it can in the moment, but has more aerodynamic drag. If you are an occasional use turbo driver, then the DF W2A system is what I would recommend. Less aerodynamic drag, with a bit of extra weight helping balance the front end of the car. If you are racing, and regularly on the turbo, I would recommend the ZZP A2A system.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Does anyone have an opinion on how well the DF water-to-air intercooler with NACA ducting works in a SS/TC application? Other than a tune, my engine will remain stock, the car driven in a Wisconsin climate on rural roads, no racing planned. My donor came with a ZZP air-to-air intercooler and I'm wondering if there would be much benefit in attaching it? It's heavy, bulky and looks like it would add a lot of drag. I don't want to bother with it unless there would be a substantial benefit. Thanks!
I have a '09 turbo with a tune to get to 300hp. The DF system works well for that setup even in 90+ weather. Kudos to Lonny for that design.

@Ross is right about the water having much more thermal capacity versus air-to-air. But, Ross is always right.... ;)

gofast

What I was actually considering was using both since I have both. The intake air from the turbo would make a pass through the W2A, then through the A2A, then into the engine intake. I'm hoping you guys think this is overkill and unnecessary.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
What I was actually considering was using both since I have both. The intake air from the turbo would make a pass through the W2A, then through the A2A, then into the engine intake. I'm hoping you guys think this is overkill and unnecessary.
If you are concerned, upgrade the core of the air-to-water intercooler. A few have already done that. Easy too. I think that would be a better solution than your proposal.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Good to know the DF system works well, even for racers like you.
PS, I have opinions that aren't always right... but when wrong, I can go back and edit it, to make it look like I'm always right ;)
I bet you play golf with a pencil that has an eraser on the top too……..

Scott #321

I would recommend against using both for your application. The is a point of diminished return as you have to get boost built up in the intercoolers and piping before it is of benefit to you so having the extra hoses and intercooler space would increase the time it takes to build effective useful boost as well as the expense, weight, aero drag, and complexity of the system. It is your car to build what you desire but I would bet spending the time and money to do it both ways you would wind up running it without the extra A2A intercooler installed.