WTB LSJ Oil Pan - FOUND

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Rockauto list one for $75.

I don’t know what the difference is but the non sc have more selections and include a GM.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I was just checking here first. Rock Auto has let me down on parking brake cables (twice) so I was a little nervous on the oil pan.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
If your needing an oil pan, you might check with OTTP and get their baffled oil pan since your replacing it anyways.
That is if your going to do any autox or track days. Added protection/peace of mind.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
If your needing an oil pan, you might check with OTTP and get their baffled oil pan since your replacing it anyways.
That is if your going to do any autox or track days. Added protection/peace of mind.
I looked all over the OTTP and ZZP sites and did not find an oil pan for the LSJ (or any other oil pan). Do you have a link per chance?

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I looked all over the OTTP and ZZP sites and did not find an oil pan for the LSJ (or any other oil pan). Do you have a link per chance?
You will have to call OTTP for the oil pan. I had originally heard about their pan on a Cobalt Facebook site.
If I remember correctly, they use a different engine model oil pan and a different dipstick as it holds 1 quart more oil.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
FWIW, the factory oil pans are all interchangeable between engine codes. It is said that the LE5 pan is the best for slosh control though. I bought a replacement pan last year to try and add trapdoor baffles, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Allegedly the dipstick won't read right between an LSJ and other oil pans. Not a showstopper, but something to be aware of.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Those LSJ oil pans are rare to find. I had a cracked LSJ oil pan on my original LSJ, and my new donor car also came with a cracked LSJ pan.
I couldn't find a stock LSJ replacement, so I decided to try and fix the pan.
I cleaned the pan, used fluorescent die to identify where the crack was, and tried to TIG weld it.
Knowing that the aluminum is oil soaked, I heated the area slowly, to burn off any oil deep in the cast aluminum.
The moltent aluminum kept boiling off contamination, and I couldn't suceed in welding it.
So I stopped heating it, and left it to cool down.
Once cold, it looked like lava rock, with lots of texture for epoxy to stick to.
So I mixed up epoxy, glued the inside of the pan, and it has been working ever since (2+ years).
Never had a drop of oil on the floor.

I am going to be trying this again, on my newest LSJ oil pan. Not sure if you are interested... but if you want to mail your oil pan to me, I will give it a try with mine. Anybody have a recommendation on how to weld oil soaked cast aluminum, please let me know!

Last edited: