Mahkoi's #299. Ext Track. SS Turbo.

Mahkoi

It’s common for tuned lnf’s to not idle well at startup. Mine does it. I’ve dug all through HP Tuners forum without finding a real fix, although locking down the things that vary in the idle range can help. Since mine smooths out after a couple of minutes, I haven’t tried real hard to fix it.
I guess that gives me another excuse to buy hp tuners and probably make stuff way worse with my inexperience and ambition.....I'm really hoping to get this thing on the road soon to see what I needed to play with over the winter. Just need the MCO at this point to get the paperwork moving.

Mahkoi

Well here's the latest update. Oakland County Sheriff wouldn't pass me on the vehicle equipment inspection so now I have some homemade bumpers, super cheap washer from Amazon and this hilarious manual wiper also from Amazon. If you buy the cheap washer setup from Amazon the nozzle sprays a straight shot V pattern. One of my mechanics gave me a nozzle out of his toolbox. I have no idea what it's off of but it's more of a fanned spray. I'll try to get the cops back out tomorrow and hope I don't get the same guy I had last time because he did not seem to appreciate that I would put such a thing on the road.
20221009_204224.jpg
20221009_203947.jpg
20221009_204057.jpg
20221009_204139.jpg

Mahkoi

Hope all goes well, sounds like you have what you need. Just in time for some fall driving lol
Man I hope so. I'm dying to get this thing on the road. We are in that sweet spot of boost weather with nice cool air but still warm enough to drive comfortably and get tires to stick.

Mahkoi

The local PD signed the paperwork this afternoon so I'm off to the secretary of state tomorrow for them to take my money and hopefully tell me my paperwork is OK. The officer was cool with everything but did want to see the dot marking on the tires to make sure they were legal. I'm still running the windshield from DF right now so thats the only thing the state inspector might get hung up on when that step comes. Still hanging on to hope that I can sneak one ride in before the weather gets too wintery but chances are slim at this point.

Other developments: the water pump has decided to drip every other time this thing gets started so I have that to play with when the weather is cold. Looks like it might be a fun time to change with how close the frame sits to the one timing chain access cover bolt. I'll order the pump and sprocket holding tool and update on how it goes when I get there.

Mahkoi

The Secretary of State liked all my paperwork. Waiting on Lansing now to process title application. The lady working there seemed confused I had the equipment inspection part of the TR-54 filled out (even though the first time i stopped by thats the reason they sent me home because that part wasnt filled out) and said they may not send out the state inspector. Not sure if that's true or not but I won't argue. She said I should hear something in 1 to 2 weeks from them. I'll either get a title in the mail or a call from the state inspector to check it out. Which is a new twist from what I've seen from the other Michigan builders. Also contacted my State Farm agent and he was cool with giving me full coverage on the Goblin I just have to send him the VIN when it gets one.

Mahkoi

Titled, plated and insured finally. Time to get the coat and hat on for the first drive. We are potentially getting and inch of snow tomorrow so tonight is probably the last chance before the salt gets on the road. I don't have my footwell cover installed so thankfully I'll get some heat from that to combat the current temp of 34°

Mahkoi

Well first run was short but it showed me a couple of things to take care of. Speedo is completely inop. Engine acts like it could use a tune, she's a tad grumpy under 2500rpm. And a quick second gear pull showed it will boost up to 20psi and has some extreme pucker effect from low traction and hard acceleration.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Well first run was short but it showed me a couple of things to take care of. Speedo is completely inop. Engine acts like it could use a tune, she's a tad grumpy under 2500rpm. And a quick second gear pull showed it will boost up to 20psi and has some extreme pucker effect from low traction and hard acceleration.
ill bundle up and bring mine out with you if you want to go for a ride

Mahkoi

ill bundle up and bring mine out with you if you want to go for a ride
I didn't think to check this before I went out for a cruise today or I would have hit you up. Got about a 30 mile cruise in just to shake it down. Gotta get used to all the strange looks and people asking questions at stoplights.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I didn't think to check this before I went out for a cruise today or I would have hit you up. Got about a 30 mile cruise in just to shake it down. Gotta get used to all the strange looks and people asking questions at stoplights.
Wait until you go fill up. It’s an ordeal, everyone wants to chat you up.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
No doubt. 30 minute minimum fill up. :eek:
I don't have that experience because I always wear a full face helmet, and as long as I don't open my visor while fueling, people don't try to tell me about how cousin's ex-boyfriend's sister's college roommate was building a twincharged buggy out of their old Neon

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I don't have that experience because I always wear a full face helmet, and as long as I don't open my visor while fueling, people don't try to tell me about how cousin's ex-boyfriend's sister's college roommate was building a twincharged buggy out of their old Neon
I do the same, once I learned that trick. :D

Mahkoi

I saw someone else asking if it was possible to change the water pump since one of the bolts sits pretty close to the frame. I just started this process last night so I figured I'd share some pics if it can help anyone else out. Yes it's possible to change the pump with the engine in. The frame won't allow the bottom rear bolt of the cover to come out so I just let the cover hang on the loose bolt and used two of the other holes for the sprocket holding tool. Just in case anyone wasn't sure, it's not a great idea to drop any of the bolts that hold the sprocket to the water pump. It's not a very pleasant adventure going magnet fishing while the cheap Amazon phone boroscope guides your way through the dark recesses of the inside of the timing cover. I got the bolt out and my 5yr old probably picked up some new words for his vocabulary. I'll start reassembling it tonight but will be using a magnetic 10mm socket so that little guy doesn't learn any more new words.

Sprocket holding tool
Water pump
Thermostat housing gasket
20230202_200607.jpg
20230202_200542.jpg

Last edited:

Mahkoi

Small mishap in the garage tonight while taking the hood off. Are the radiators for these cars easily sourced or is it best to call DF and get a new one. I tried searching every number on the radiator and box it came in but no luck finding it.