Josh's City Goblin - 10 XFE Donor

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Hey, underglows looking good! What kit did you buy? Since the goblins a weird shape and all.
I made my own really. Bought the kind that has that gel whatever covering it and was sticky on the back. Ran it along the frame rail. Used an arduino to control it.

I'm taking it off soon. I like it, but it needs redoing. I've already accidentally crushed some of the LEDs trying to jack the car up. I need to try a different way. Hindsight is 20/20.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Got frustrated with the wiring for the tail light project, so I moved onto something else. Thought about posting this in "Other builds" but its not exactly a car...

I built an MPCNC (Mostly Printed CNC). Working area is 36"x36"x6". It still needs a lot of fine tuning, but I have it drawing stuff and cutting vinyl right now. Next is trying 3D with a router. Here are some pictures showing how I cut a logo out for my wing. Pardon the mess, I just got it working :)

TravMac

That's a really neat project! You'll be able to sticker out the car in no time! What are you using on the head for a cut tool?

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Well, its winter time here and I've started my maintenance/upgrades.

The NEED To-Do list is as follows:
  • Replace timing chain
  • Replace clutch/flywheel
  • Clean up wiring up front / remove unnecessary wiring
  • Replace belts with 2024 expiration SFI belts
  • Cleanup and paint all the exposed corroded aluminum on the engine/trans
  • Tint license plate light - too bright!
The WANT To-Do list is something like:
  • Quaife LSD
  • @Ark :D 's floor mats
  • One piece dash "plate" to clean up the interior look a bit... maybe a small glove box? Custom buttons?
  • Add cruise control. The car had aftermarket cruise, but it failed shortly before becoming a Goblin. Would like to have that ability again
  • Front splitter compatible with the tilt hood
  • Auxiliary heat exchanger to keep the air cooler. Stock is having trouble keeping up
  • Upgraded muffler, maybe with a vacuum actuated dump. I'm thinking about using a Vibrant resonator because of this:
    . Seems to get rid of the rasp, but keep the loudness
  • Forged internals and moon tune
Hopefully by posting this all here I will guilt myself into getting all this done this winter :D

I've already got the engine and trans out. Clutch was pretty flat. Those grooves in friction material don't show up if looked at from the side.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Just wanted to add, the floor mats have held up extremely well. They're made from coconut fibers and they're tough as nails. I'm not shilling for the company, just highly endorsing their product!

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
To clean the aluminum on the engine, I used Lume Bright. I was extremely surprised how well it did (if it wasn't greasy). I put a coat of Sharkhide metal protectant on it instead of painting.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
To clean the aluminum on the engine, I used Lume Bright. I was extremely surprised how well it did (if it wasn't greasy). I put a coat of Sharkhide metal protectant on it instead of painting.
I will look into both of those, thank you. I wanted it to end up looking like new aluminum in the end anyway.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I cleaned and painted a SC lower intake manifold. I think I used Aluminum engine Duplicolor engine paint.
View attachment 38078
How well did you clean it beforehand? I was initially going to go this route until I saw @escapepilot 's engine. With an old engine I fear its going to be a lot of manual labor to get it to look nice. Maybe your way is easier. I guess there's only one way to find out

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
How well did you clean it beforehand? I was initially going to go this route until I saw @escapepilot 's engine. With an old engine I fear its going to be a lot of manual labor to get it to look nice. Maybe your way is easier. I guess there's only one way to find out
I cleaned it with water and some degreaser. Then used a wire wheel on my impact driver. It took a while! I did a very, very thorough job but it took a couple days. I couldn't have done this for an entire engine.

I wish I had heard of this Lume Bright. I would have given it a try and will next winter. I think I'm going to pull my engine then to clean it up and do the timing kit. That and possibly try out a LSD insert unless I find a great deal on a LSD trans before then.