TravMac's Extended Track Goblin (#253) - 2007 SS/SC Doner

TravMac

Another weekend of racing, and a great finish to the season! Gave a couple of folks a ride along in my sight laps and just had a great time. The car handles so different with 2 people, that my first run out alone I spun it in the first turn! Will for sure get these vids up along with the data (if it recorded right... hard to see if my blind button pressing actually activated the hp tuners dongle...). It was the fastest I've probably ever been, and for sure the most confidence inspiring as everything had finally come together for the first time.

First off, finished the hood wrap. Can barely tell it's cardboard now! Learned a lot in this process, and think the next time may go better. Had a few wrinkles and bubbles I just couldn't get out right - but I still think it's great! I'm going to rock this for a long while. There is still hope for re-doing it all in carbon someday, but for now I love this look.

Also I appreciate everyone's input for the fuel stuff. After running this weekend, I think I nailed the issue and found the real culprit... myself ha. So the pump is an aem replacement for running e85. The reservoir was a Chinese replacement, since mine broke when disassembling the vehicle. I had modified the reservoir to fit the new pump, while adding in the appropriate wiring and hose routing to make sure nothing bound up in the tank when installed. What I didn't do was realize where the pump was pulling from in the reservoir. The way it sat, I was pulling fuel straight through the primary fuel check valve (a flimsy piece of rubber). By the looks of it, the pump nearly sealed itself to this valve. My guess is when pressure would drop off from a hard corner losing fuel, it would continue pulling from external to the reservoir, regardless how full it was. The fix was a GM reservoir replacement that actually adapted much more cleanly to the aem e85 pump. Still a little modification, but more for wiring clearance than anything else. I'd still like something different for a setup, but that will come when I jump to a turbo in the distant future. Also, tank does have a small baffle, so thought I'd capture that while I could.

I also have to laugh... but has anyone else gotten flack for not running Hoosier slicks in the EM class? I swear every event I get at least 3 comments saying my R888Rs are terrible tires... ha! Sure they will make a competitive difference, but I'm the only one at the moment... so win by default haha!

In all honesty, this year has taught me how great this car is. The DF crew really put something special together for us, and it gets even better with time. Next stop, get road worthy!

PXL_20221008_202834699.jpgPXL_20221008_202828892.jpgPXL_20221008_202906067.jpgPXL_20221009_003058631.jpg

IMG_0909.jpgIMG_1074.jpgIMG_0926.jpgIMG_1079.jpgIMG_1082.jpgIMG_1021.jpgIMG_1025.JPGIMG_1102.JPG

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Fantastic that you figured out the fuel starvation problem, since it could potentially create an issue if your motor stops running! Great work on the hood! :D

TravMac

Happy new year to everyone! It's been a few months, but had a few little things to update. The winter has been busy with staying afloat at work, so the goblin lives as a table right now... but it's itching to get dusted off in the spring!

I got my inspection done just before the snow flew. They didn't care for my windshield, but everything else seemed to pass well. Might need to revisit what I use for that. The car looks a bit silly since it's too wide for the frame, but it was a cheap solution that I got from a buddy with an Exocet. I added a few pictures below to give everyone a laugh.

Once that was complete, I went and submitted the paperwork at Michigan's Secretary of State. They took plenty of my money, so now fingers crossed that it's a matter of time before I get a call to final inspect and install a VIN. Not gonna lie, I walked out of the place uneasy that they actually signed me up for everything I went in asking for Might have to make a few phone calls if no contact is made in the next week or so. Just glad it's a step made forward. Then have to find insurance...

There are a few leaks under the car too, so have to figure out a better solution at my coolant connections. I think these clamps just keep losing torque, so might change to a spring clamp. I really wanted to re-route the coolant for the supercharger and eliminate most those leaks, but I think that might just stay where it is. It isn't hurting anything too bad right now. The trans is also losing a bit of fluid, but with my jackshaft stuck in there, there's no replacing the seal. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now.

Buying things for the car is slowing down for now. I'd love a few upgrades and updates, but this year is looking more busy than ever. Not getting rid of this car by any means, but probably more road updates than build ones (fingers crossed!). I'll let everyone know when the VIN is on, and we can start talking custom plates!

PXL_20221113_234109452.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20221113_234219831.jpgPXL_20221113_233948336.NIGHT.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I'm assuming that windshield goes away and/or get replaced with a better fitting plexiglass one? BTW, in the 3rd photo - and guessing it has to do with the wide angle lens - your rear wing looks like it is a foot wider than your rear tire. Hopefully the DMV trolls will do their job and get back to you soon!

TravMac

I'm assuming that windshield goes away and/or get replaced with a better fitting plexiglass one? BTW, in the 3rd photo - and guessing it has to do with the wide angle lens - your rear wing looks like it is a foot wider than your rear tire. Hopefully the DMV trolls will do their job and get back to you soon!
Yup, it will probably be fitted with a good cut piece of plexi right on the uprights. The cool thing with this frame is it fits a samurai windshield thats flat and cheapish. I just threw plexi in it for the inspection cuz of a backorder on glass.

It is also the 71" wing, so it is pretty wide. The guys at 9 lives said its an interesting thing how these open cars handle airflow. Its not typical like a closed cabin car with smooth, carefully designed flow over the surface. That's why they don't do anything special for raising their Exocet wing kit into "clean air." Regardless, without testing it's hard to quantify what the car wants. So just have to keep playing with it!

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
“Interesting “ is a whole new meaning for the aerodynamics of the goblin. It was something I never really worried about until the goblin came along.

TravMac

This picture gives some better perspective of the width overall. The front is where I really think there could be improvement of aero for balance at speed, but the mounting method right now is a bit too compliant to be very useful. For now it just looks cool.

Most gains I will see for autocross next season will be in suspension/alignment/tire. Playing with the wings is way down on the list. Sort of a set it and forget it type of thing. This thing was quick for the season, but there's so much more potential that I'm really excited for more seat time.

IMG_1080.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Oh look, there's a junior Goblin to your right in the picture! Keep it warm and feed it lots of premium fuel and it will grow up to be a Goblin some day! LOL!

TravMac

Oh look, there's a junior Goblin to your right in the picture! Keep it warm and feed it lots of premium fuel and it will grow up to be a Goblin some day! LOL!
Funny enough, that's the 4 time national championship winner for the kart modified class in autocross. If only the Goblin could grow into a position like that! The guy is super nice, and is a wild driver.

Edit: I take that back... that's his son who is also quite a skilled driver... the comment still stands, ha!

Last edited:

TravMac

Well tomorrow is the big day for the VIN on the car. Getting a bit nervous that they won't love something that they see, but seems like Michigan folks have been doing pretty well so far. I took off the front wing so that at least looks more the part. Just sitting in my garage waiting now... Any last second suggestions to make things go smoothly for anyone that's done it?