RCK605's Track Goblin #438 - 05 SS/SC

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Just my $0.02, unless you plan to go to car shows to win trophies - and the blue colors don't clash - leaving it two blue colors probably won't make any difference in a daily driver or track car. Explain the color difference to the coaters, see if you can get a partial refund, and keep on building! :cool:

KingChuck24

I believe the frame for Goblinfest is Illusion Blue-berg. Very close to the Illusion Smurf that I'm doing. I think blue-berg is a bit lighter of a blue.

Which do you prefer, the Illusion Blue or the Blue-berg? I'm a sucker for metallics. Especially in this Texas sun!
The Illusion blue was to dark and looked almost purple. I personally didn't like it over the illusion blue berg but I think if we had the frame that color I would have thought it looked great. I have the swatch for illusion smurf right now and it looks very good as well.

RCK605

Or if you're OCD. I know it would bother me and I would change whichever was easier if I liked both colors.

KingChuck24

Just my $0.02, unless you plan to go to car shows to win trophies - and the blue colors don't clash - leaving it two blue colors probably won't make any difference in a daily driver or track car. Explain the color difference to the coaters, see if you can get a partial refund, and keep on building! :cool:
We are actually likely going to bring it to car shows and like RCK just said we are very OCD and just couldn't have it be like that. We are also likely going to sell it in a year or two so we would rather put in the investment now and not have it be a way to haggle the price down.

KingChuck24

Or if you're OCD. I know it would bother me and I would change whichever was easier if I liked both colors.
We decided to keep it with our powder coating guy and he said he is going to recoat them and they will be done in about 2 weeks. Not a big issue considering we won't have the wiring harness for at least that long and probably longer so we can work with it.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Haha I am also color blind. Only green deficient though so all my greens just look less vibrant than what normal vision would see. What is your color blindness?
Mostly green, red, brown. But as I get older, a lot of colors blend together now. :confused:

KingChuck24

Mostly green, red, brown. But as I get older, a lot of colors blend together now. :confused:
Man that's really unfortunate. I think I might be going that way as well. I think its funny that we have taken up a page of space on this build log to talk about this.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
:Dso it’s not a total derail;

thinning the wire harness when colorblind is a hell of a challenge.
:oops:

RCK605

I was getting confused and losing confidence that I was doing the wiring harness correctly. During the organizing videos I wasn't finding some of the wires they show and it wasn't looking the same. I went back and re-watched all the videos and re-did the tape in some areas. It now looks more similar to the videos and found the missing wires. Feeling confident that I'm doing it right again so time to start moving forward again.

Before I can go much further though I need to label my fuel pump wires. I bought a new fuel pump for a newer donor, but the harness I bought has all white wires. I need to get the pinout from Alldata and label the colors.

I have two organizing videos left and am hoping to get through at least one if not both this weekend. I'm ready for this portion to be over. The cooler weather is helping to motivate me too.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
There were phases that I had similar feeling as the videos differed a lot in sections. As long as you labelled everything when removing you'll be ok. Just link the names mentioned or ask questions on the forum. I did a 2006 harness and asked a lot of silly questions through out, so maybe some of my follies will help you. I would post things and maybe 15-20 minutes later I would get responses, so the group here definitely helps out a lot (I couldn't have done it without them all).

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It took me 2 months to do my harness. I was rolling good until I hit a few hiccups, that made me walk away. Then I got my frame, so every time I got mad at the harness, I could do other things. It got to a point that I didn’t have a choice but to finish the harness, so I had to go all in. Only a few goof up, but nothing I couldn’t fix in the car.

RCK605

My biggest delay so far was the skin melting heat in the garage. Now that it's cooled off and I'm not risking heat stroke it's easier to keep working on it. Having the frame in the garage helps too!

RCK605

I've been slowly chipping away at things on the to-do list. I still have the last few harness videos to get through. I should be able to get that done in the coming weeks. This is a pretty busy time of year for me and we have a trip to Disney coming up. The Mouse has been stealing my build funds.

The most recent work has been done to the frame getting it ready for powder. I cut off the side mirror mounts since I'm going to run a clamp on style. I've also decided to mount the heat exchanger on the rear so I've been working on a mount for that.

I decided to bolt flat aluminum plate to the frame for seat mounts instead of welding tubing in. Using 3 inch wide pieces to give some adjustability and room for my incorrect measurements!

Started painting the floor with spray on bedliner. With my poor applicator skills and this stuff not going on even anyway it looks a little crappy. Since its just the floor I'm not too worried. If someone is getting a close look at that we have bigger problems!

Hopefully there is a steady flow of progress and updates from here on out!

20230206_192023.jpg20230205_195812.jpg20230204_164825.jpg20230205_154437.jpg

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I think I had more fun at Disney than my kids. I highly recommend taking advantage of the Disney App and Disney Genie. Reading the tips that are out there, we were able to minimize time in line on just about everything using the app.