Front ARB Options

Sebnuts

Looking for some examples of Front ARB installations people have done.
I like this one, but it would not work with the DF ducts on TC cars.
This one would avoid the ducts, but looks like it would not play nice with the DF hood.

Are there any other's that I haven't stumbled on?

Indy Lonnie

FYI - front roll bars are not typically needed with with rear engined cars like front engined.
Any sway bar, if needed will be used in the rear of the Goblin. Most will just use the small diameter base Cobalt sway bar in the rear. Competition cars (like Justin Reed) are using the larger SS sway bar in the rear. There are some posts here on the forum about why / why not a front sway bar. The light front end of the Goblin can easily be controlled with coil spring rate and shock tuning.

Sebnuts

FYI - front roll bars are not typically needed with with rear engined cars like front engined.
Do you have a source for this information? Are your referring to a specific class/type of car or all rear engined cars?
There's a lot of confusion and contradicting information on the topic in general, I'm just trying to wrap my head around it and get it all straight.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Do you have a source for this information? Are your referring to a specific class/type of car or all rear engined cars?
There's a lot of confusion and contradicting information on the topic in general, I'm just trying to wrap my head around it and get it all straight.
For the last two years I have had my front shock dampeners set full for autoX. Going through slaloms at 40 or so while left and right inputs throw weight back and forth will not compress the front shocks that much. Pictures have proven so. And the thought is the front will pick up more weight in the lateral acceleration Being stiff. Works pretty well. I don’t think a roll bar will add much. My 2 cents.

Ross

Goblin Guru
When I had the open differential in the goblin, I was struggling with oversteer. I wanted a front sway bar then.
Once I put the Quaife differential in the goblin, I am struggling with understeer. I added the rear sway bar.

Sebnuts

The springs supplied by DF are very stiff, so the primary use for ARBs (to reduce roll) aren't really required.
The overall setup of the Goblin as supplied by DF is also pretty well balanced, with slight understeer. I can see why most people don't see a need for an ARB on the front or the rear, but depending on driver preference, may want to add a rear ARB to get more neutral or learn toward oversteer.
That's why there aren't many examples of front ARBs on the Goblin.
For my use and preference, I'm planning on reducing the spring rates all around and adding ARBs to maintain roll stiffness and balance. Probably should have mentioned that in the initial post.

Indy Lonnie

See link below:
Continue reading on to page 5 for more info. Justin Reed puts in his input. I think he has the most high speed track time on the forum. Watch the video mid page 5 for real world experience.

Last edited:

Chubbs

It always surprises me how different these cars can be from build to build, and driver to driver. There's such a huge variety of suspension setups between goblins, it's hard to tell what works and what doesn't.

I set mine up with the stock DF shocks and springs (coilovers in the rear). Setup is pretty close to full soft. I added a rear sway bar from the start (the "comfort" Cobalt swaybar). Stock cobalt wheels and tires, 215 wide.

Setup as such, oversteer was default. It was fun and agile, but almost unstable. AutoX, where the speeds were lower, it was amazing. The quick directional changes at low speed made oversteer an asset. I spun it once while on the brakes, but otherwise it was a joy (and fast).

The oversteer became a HUGE liability on a big race track. Oversteer at 100mph is NOT fun at all. I spun it once on track (no damage) and had to dial back my aggression a lot to keep it from happening again. I have since gone to a staggered tire setup, but have not tested yet. I'm hoping 255's in the rear and 225's in the front will restore some balance to the handling so it isn't so eager to kill me. I'll drift my Charger 392 all day long. But a short wheelbase car like the goblin can be snappy, and does not suffer fools.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
There’s so many variables, it’s unreal. No 2 are alike. I mean, there’s some things that are a like, but there’s so much that’s so different.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
There’s so many variables, it’s unreal. No 2 are alike. I mean, there’s some things that are a like, but there’s so much that’s so different.
That's what I really like about the process. Also, if I built a second one how different it would be from the first