F35 input shaft noise

Stretch2126

Looks like the trans will start making noises in neutral. Goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed. It still drives great but the noise seems like it’s becoming more consistent. Anybody else have this happen?

snirtman

Looks like the trans will start making noises in neutral. Goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed. It still drives great but the noise seems like it’s becoming more consistent. Anybody else have this happen?
I was going to guess throwout bearing, but they're typically noisy with the clutch pressed in, quiet when released. I see from your build log that you recently replaced your clutch/flywheel - any chance one or more of the pressure plate bolts is loosening? Any excessive vibration in neutral while revving engine?

Stretch2126

I suppose it could be the clutch but DS’s video is almost exactly like mine it seems like. I can clutch in and out sometimes and it’ll go away but it comes back. I would hope the clutch isn’t already backing off after only having it on for a couple months. I’m putting some fresher oil in the case to see if it does anything. Not metal in the gear oil.

snirtman

I suppose it could be the clutch but DS’s video is almost exactly like mine it seems like. I can clutch in and out sometimes and it’ll go away but it comes back. I would hope the clutch isn’t already backing off after only having it on for a couple months. I’m putting some fresher oil in the case to see if it does anything. Not metal in the gear oil.
FWIW - The guy who posted the video replied to some comments that it was the "Incorrect preload on final drive bearings"

Stretch2126

FWIW - The guy who posted the video replied to some comments that it was the "Incorrect preload on final drive bearings"
Yeah I saw a couple other videos saying input shafts giving out or another internal matter. It might be time for an f23.

snirtman

Yeah I saw a couple other videos saying input shafts giving out or another internal matter. It might be time for an f23.
I'm certainly no transmission expert, but I've read that the GM transmissions are usually numerically designated in newton metres, so the F35 is rated at 350 Nm, the F23, at 230 Nm, F40 at 400 Nm and so on. Seems like the F23 would be a step backward if you're overpowering your F35?

Ross

Goblin Guru
The F23 is a step backwards according to GM, but the people who push these engines hard swear by the F23.
They say it shifts better, is cheaper, and is much easier to find in the auto recycler yards too.
Justing Reed runs 600+ hp thru his F23, so that seems pretty solid.
Also, the goblin weighs half the Cobalt, so that cuts the load down on the transmission.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
This whole post thread has lots of good information about the F23, installing a LSD, and real world experience with it in some higher HP builds.

finazzoty

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I'm wondering if anyone ever figured out a resolution to this? Funny thing here about it potentially being "incorrect preload on final drive bearings" is that I have a brand new 0 mile F35 and I am also experiencing this issue. Would love to know if anyone ever figured this out, or maybe its not something to worry about. I will say though....it does sound like its something to worry about. Metal on metal noise is never good:(

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Are you sure it not just clutch noises? Does the noise change if the clutch is engaged or disengaged? Some performance clutches make noises, the F40 clutch makes noises no matter what - performance or stock.

finazzoty

Are you sure it not just clutch noises? Does the noise change if the clutch is engaged or disengaged? Some performance clutches make noises, the F40 clutch makes noises no matter what - performance or stock.
Agree @comegetjoe this is good to know, as I was not aware this was the case. @Desert Sasqwatch It’s a Clutch Masters FX500. I suppose this could be it…never actually thought about the clutch. My question though is: if this is indeed the case, what is hitting what??

Stretch2126

I have an FX400 and an aluminum flywheel so it’s chattery when not under a lot of load. But in neutral I do hear the bearing. It changes if I hit the clutch a couple times.
If you hear noise when you Coast or have very little power being pushed through it the gears will make noise. Especially if you have a light flywheel

finazzoty

I have an FX400 and an aluminum flywheel so it’s chattery when not under a lot of load. But in neutral I do hear the bearing. It changes if I hit the clutch a couple times.
If you hear noise when you Coast or have very little power being pushed through it the gears will make noise. Especially if you have a light flywheel
This is potentially music to my ears. I also have a ZZP aluminum flywheel. Would you mind taking a listen to the videos here to see if your diagnosis applies?
Videos 6290 and 6316 have the best audio of the noise in question.

Stretch2126

This is potentially music to my ears. I also have a ZZP aluminum flywheel. Would you mind taking a listen to the videos here to see if your diagnosis applies?
Videos 6290 and 6316 have the best audio of the noise in question.
That is a lot louder than mine. I don’t know if the idle makes it worse, but that sounds like somewhere in the housing might be loose. If you didn’t have trans problems before you probably don’t have them after a swap. Does the sound go away when you hit the clutch? That’ll tell you give you a little more info.

finazzoty

Well the 6316 video makes it sound alot louder than it actually is in person (surprisingly). Its actually hard to hear the sound from the driver's seat, so I'm not sure if it goes away when the clutch is pushed in, but I THINK it does. I can tell you for sure that when you rev the engine, the noise goes away completely, and then comes back as the engine returns to idle. As soon as I get back to Atlanta on Thursday, I will have someone sit in the seat and push the clutch to see if it goes away.