Metal Mech's Goblin #397 - 2.4L N/A Standard Frame (Project Phoenix)

Metal Mech

Hey guys,
Figured I should probably start a build thread now that my frame is at the shop getting powder coated. This is a father/son project that I am building with my 12yr old son. I caved and let him choose the color scheme, still not sure if that was a good idea. It is the standard length frame from before the 2022 change up. The donor is a 2008 Sport Coupe with the 2.4L N/A engine. Figured cheaper and less HP to start with. If we feel the need for more power will just upgrade later. It has full doors which I regret, should have gone double doors. Has the double roof bars. We have started stripping just some basic cosmetic bits off the donor. The donor still runs and drives, just not legally. Because of space issues won't be stripping the donor until the frame is back in the garage after it gets coated. Getting excitded to start the build officially. Had the kit since Fathers Day last year, but had some things that needed to be taken care of before we could really work on this thing the right way. Will try to remember and post as often as I can as we make progress. Current plan is to have stage one done by the end of this year and hopefully start stage 2 this time next year. No rush and its a budget build so waiting for disposable income sometimes slows the process.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
It’s amazing how many girls of substance find a guy with the oats to build a car is a positive. It took my wife about 2 years of listening to her coworkers complain about their car probs, then one day she realized her “car problems” were just interesting stories and her 5y/o car was virtually always functional! In 1996 she noted she hadn’t used her AAA membership in 6 years. We haven’t renewed it since!

Metal Mech

Well today started off a bit rough and if you read my other post from today you know why.
I made use the the good weather on Satturday and today. Entire trunk is stripped and almost the entire back seats are stripped.
also stripped out the center console.
Front seats are still in because I’m keeping drivable until the frame gets back.
supposed to nice again Thursday so will try to finish the back seats and remove the side curtain airbags.

Metal Mech

Well I got my frame back from the powder coat shop. I got very lucky. The shop was the only building not burnt to the ground, but it did catch on fire. They finished coating all my small parts that were being done in flat black. They had planned to do gloss black parts (other customers) Tuesday morning, then switch to my orange that afternoon and finish mine then or first thing Wednesday morning. The fire was Tuesday morning of course. There are actually bits of melted roof on my frame I have to clean off, not much though. The owner felt bad and gave me the powder he had bought free of charge. Its going to be a while before he get open again as he has to find a new shop. Not a easy thing in this area. I will send other things his way once he is back up. For now though I am going somewhere else to get the frame done so I can start.

This build is now officially Project Phoenix. My kid and I had discussed the idea of calling it that because we are building a new car from the ashes of a rusted out Cobalt. Now that it has survived a close call with a fire I think it fits even more.

Metal Mech

So didn’t really get much done this weekend.
Taught my kid how to replace the spark plugs. He did a good job and the car didn’t blow up when we started it haha.
Found out that the valve cover gasket leaks at the cylinder two plug.
Got some parts showing up this week. Gonna finish replacing those, drive it around the block and recheck for codes.
Gonna continue stripping it down as much as I can while keeping it drivable.

Metal Mech

I got to tinker around with engine tonight. Cleaned up some engine bits, replaced a few sensors and put dielectric grease on any connectors I unplugged.
I feel like an idiot. I recently just stared working on the engine and realized I never thought to check the coolant level. Noticed tonight the tank was pretty empty. Squeezed the hoses and there is coolant but it’s low.
So far I have driven it onto the trailer, off the trailer. In and out of the driveway maybe three times and let it idle for 15-20 from time to time. I don’t have a temp gauge, but the light has never come on. I’m hoping I haven’t done any damage. I don’t think there is a point to filling it as I am gonna drain and pull the radiator soon.
A water temp gauge and oil pressure are for sure going on when I get the engine into the frame.

Metal Mech

Blah day. Decent weather but exhausted from work when I got home. Had planned to drop the rear axles.
Looks like it’s gonna be nasty rainy tomorrow.
I volunteer to help at my works “Trucks and Coffee” event and it’s rain or shine so soggy morning for me.
Also planned to drain the anti freeze, pull the radiator and cut out the center support. Guess I will have to push back till Sunday.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Nope.
Parts sales dont wait. Ill be under the SS tomorrow. Dont let rain stop you. Good time to clean the garage.

Metal Mech

I finally finished the first point of no return portion of the year down

Now I got a bunch of labeling to do on the harness. Everything unplugged so far I remember what it is but time to do it right before I forget. I’ve been holding off because it’s tedious and boring.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Take a hammer and fold over the jagged edges of the cut metal - for safety - before you start to dig further. Ask me why - I've got a nice scar on my forearm.

Metal Mech

Got a lot more done yesterday. Pulled out drivers seat, disconnected and removed battery. Started removing the fuse box. Finally got around to labeling the harness. Actually talked the wife into writing the labels because she has better handwritting haha.

Few more things I can tinker around with for getting the engine out, but I need a brake line bleeder kit so I can get the brakes and suspension off.
Just right now money is not my friend.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Few more things I can tinker around with for getting the engine out, but I need a brake line bleeder kit so I can get the brakes and suspension off.
Just right now money is not my friend.
money saving tip:

poke a hole in cap of an oil oil jug and run a hose from there to the bleeder screws on the calipers. Open caliper bleeder valve and pump the brake pedal. The fluid will go into the can without a mess.

something like this
6479F737-8EF7-46AE-B511-80C7BA03FC69.jpeg