Heat Exchanger Question

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
It might be interesting if everyone started posting there IAT1 & IAT2 temps to compare. I thought that most of the discussions from a couple of years ago was that the DF system was doing a pretty good job of controlling temps, other than the sitting still, heat soak on the SC versions (and this mostly on the no fan set up). But recently we have been seeing a lot of high temps posted.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I wasn't worried about IATs on the street, I was mostly concerned about autocross and pushing the car really hard for a short amount of time with not a whole lot of vehicle speed and then sitting for a few minutes trying to cool everything off before the next run.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I wasn't worried about IATs on the street, I was mostly concerned about autocross and pushing the car really hard for a short amount of time with not a whole lot of vehicle speed and then sitting for a few minutes trying to cool everything off before the next run.
This is where I’m at too.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
That's a good point, especially on a track like Rockford Speedway. You don't really have any long stretches to get a lot of airflow You also sit in a line that is always moving before having to take your next run.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Knowing I would eventually upgrade the engine to a point that the stock HE would be insufficient I went with a rear mounted radiator for the TC intercooler from day one.
Rear mounted heat exchanger does keep the coolant loop to a minimum, making the pump's job easier. It doesn't help put weight on the front.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
This is also a good point about the fan impeding airflow. I may actually start a chart as soon as I get mine finished up - I can post it when that time comes and we can get others' info in there.
The fan blades, if used with the NACA ducts, don't impede airflow as much as you may think. Unpowered fan blades will spin with any airflow coming at them and the blades only occupy roughly 30ish percent of the face diameter of a fan. NACA ducts are designed to create a positive air pressure and will spin the fan blades very quickly with even moderate speeds. Powered fan blades will not really be a hinderance to airflow when the car is at speed, if the fan is on. If I were using the DF setup, I would be installing a pusher fan inside the duct plenum and blowing air across the HE, at stand still, and have a speed sensing circuit/relay to turn off the fan (on the street) at any speed over 45-50mph, turning it back on below that speed.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
I don’t think this guy has posted much here but saw this on Instagram, looks like he may have these mounted on each side?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I don't know what he is cooling, but I doubt that would have any affect as a heat exchanger on the intercooler temp..

Ross

Goblin Guru
I suspect that Goblin 231 from Cicio Performance is running an oil cooler on the sides. You don't want too much cooling on those lines... but maybe not, as those lines go up front rather than towards the engine.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
OK, side exposed and susceptible to physical damage from anything kicked up by the front tires - how about a big hunk of metal that you couldn't avoid? Takes out the tire and your coolant lines too. Running oil through those lines is not good, shear one off and you have seconds to get the engine turned off before it no longer has any oil pressure. AND you now have oil all over the rear tire(s), being sprayed at 60psi, and that is very dangerous if braking hard is required in the situation. At least with cooling fluid you have a minute or so to shutdown before the temperature starts to shoot up. My inner engineer sees too many bad things doing cooling/HE in this manner.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
You could buy 2 of these:
Universal 18" Single Pass Aluminum Finned Transmission Oil Cooler 840529108609 | eBay
And one of these:
AN8 Female to Female 8AN AN-8 180°Deg Swivel Fuel Oil Gas Line Fitting Black | eBay
And 2 of these:
And get essentially the same thing for 1/3 the price.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
OK, side exposed and susceptible to physical damage from anything kicked up by the front tires - how about a big hunk of metal that you couldn't avoid? Takes out the tire and your coolant lines too. Running oil through those lines is not good, shear one off and you have seconds to get the engine turned off before it no longer has any oil pressure. AND you now have oil all over the rear tire(s), being sprayed at 60psi, and that is very dangerous if braking hard is required in the situation. At least with cooling fluid you have a minute or so to shutdown before the temperature starts to shoot up. My inner engineer sees too many bad things doing cooling/HE in this manner.
If you hit something that was going to take out those HX's, you're already in for a bad day.

What doesn't make sense to me is, assuming those are for oil, why run oil all the way to the front of the car to run those little coolers? Seems about as silly as turbo piping pre-coolers.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Figures - So now of course I'm brought to the question of: Which option is more effective? I don't particularly love the look those nostrils in the sides of the hood, but I also feel like the area where the heat exchanger will be mounted will harbor quite a bit of heat from the radiator...and then you just have a fan blowing hot air over the heat exchanger. Thoughts?
I mounted mine in the inside and blended them. I love the look
IMG_2460.jpeg

Josh's09

Permanently temporarily installed with zip ties, been there over a year. I am working on a 3d printed mount and duct combo piece, but it's not been a high priority for me lately.

View attachment 34868
Did you end up making the "3d printed mount and duct combo piece"? I am thinking of mounting mine on the side like this as well.
If you ended up making this, how has it treated you? Do you find it brings in enough air to the H/E? If it does, could I purchase one off of you?

Last edited: