Recent content by PHENDERSON

1. P

First Start...bad head gasket

That's what I used on my LSJ
  2. P

First Start...bad head gasket

I used a tool that has pins that insert into the holes in the balancer, it's universal and adjustable. I think I got it off amazon for $20 maybe. It's basically a long metal bar with a pin on the end and then it has a second bar connected 6 inches from the end that can be adjusted so you can fit...
  3. P

Coolant leak between engine and trans!?!?

Slowly working my way from the top down. I'll get there at some point.
  4. P

FS: Built LSJ-T engine

What LSJ engines do you have available? Unmodified except bolt ons are ok. Mileage and price? I am looking.
  5. P

I'm stubborn. I just dismantled the head and am going to do some leak tests. I still need to check the water pump but it isn't leaking externally or into the timing chain area. I am also checking the web for a new motor at the same time.
  6. P

Never mind false alarm. There is water in the cylinders and when I gave the car a good shaking the engine made some gurgling noise and peed out the oil pan a little. Time for some target practice.
  7. P

Just for giggles I put the head back on with no gasket. No leaking! None at all. Clearly it's an issue with the gasket. I have tried 4 now purchased from ZZP, Rock Auto, GM Authority, and somewhere else. All were supposed to be LSJ. The holes seem to line up. There is very small variations...
  8. P

This has to be something stupid. The head and block appear to be fine. Engine only leaks when filling into the head hose connection and it's fast. You can hear the water make its way down to the oil pan. I'm going to check the oil cooler today. I'm also going to take the timing cover off, lay...
  9. P

I checked the flatness of both head and block, they're straight. Is there any chance you shouldn't fill the engine with coolant from the hose connection on the head? Just wonder if this side is usually hot and under pressure if that keeps it sealed somehow. It only leaks when I do this. I wish...
  10. P

Head isn't the problem. I plugged all the coolant passages on the side that touches the block and filled it up, no leaking. I'll check oil cooler and water pump next. Water level in the block where I filled it up still hasn't dropped. I did have a question about gaskets. All the ones I have...
  11. P

Some had asked about how everything is plumbed in my engine. My engine is partially disassembled but these pics show my plumbing.
  12. P

I filled the area around the cylinders and it's holding. Not leaking straight away. Now I'm wondering if there could be something wrong with the head. It only leaks when I fill directly into the hose connection on the head. More testing tomorrow.
  13. P

The picture above was taken right after pulling the head. Nothing in the cylinders except a tiny bit of excess assembly lube.
  14. P

Does anyone know which passages are coolant and which are oil? I'm doing some leak tests since I have the head off again but am not 100% sure where oil and coolant are supposed to go. I know the 10 round are the head bolts.
  15. P

I hope that's what it is. I'll take some pictures tomorrow for you to verify.