Anks329 - Extended City - '07 LS - #190 REGISTERED

Anks329

Hi All!

New builder here in WA state. I haven't placed the order for my kit yet, but just purchased my donor this afternoon so thought I would start my build log. It's a 2007 LS automatic (I've got plans to add a supercharger or turbo kit to it eventually) with 130k miles on it. Found the car via Craigslist and kinda just lucked into it as the seller wasn't getting much attention and just wanted to get rid of it. The car is dirty, has a bunch of rust on it the body, but the engine runs well, and the important parts all look good from the outside. I'll be starting the tear down soon and then will get the kit order placed in a few or so.

I've got some more pictures here on my Instagram: http://instagr.am/p/B7y6CsDlUh7/
Have to give a special shout out to Gearhead Passion, a local non-profit that is helping me with the build process. The mission is to ignite the passion of cars in everyone. So this project fits right in with their mission and they'll be helping with some of the tools that I don't have (like an engine hoist) or an extra pair of hands to help push something into place.

Anks329

Thanks all! I'm in the Redmond/Sammamish area; really looking forward to some fun drives on the roads a little further east of where I am.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Welcome to the group. I may be in Redmond area this summer visiting some relatives. Maybe I can get there to check out your build.

Jcas

Yes Anks329 you have highway 2 over to Leavenworth will be fun. I will be ordering our kit next week. Congrats on your find

Anks329

Yes Anks329 you have highway 2 over to Leavenworth will be fun. I will be ordering our kit next week. Congrats on your find
Yeah, Highway 2 to Leavenworth will be great. I've driven that in a car, and it'll be a blast in the Goblin. Also, have been finding some small roads around the Maltby area (Paradise Lake Road) that look fun. I saw on your thread that you are going to go down in September to pick up your kit. I'm too excited to wait that long, and will probably pay for shipping to get started sooner :)

Welcome to the group. I may be in Redmond area this summer visiting some relatives. Maybe I can get there to check out your build.
Thanks! And definitely, let me know and we can figure something out.

Jcas

I may be doing the same as my Grandkids may be moving back from Texas. If not I am going down I am driving anyway so what is 4 miles les per gallon between pickup and car. I have ran 2 many times with the bike cant wait to do it with the car. We have a motor home in Sultan so make that run many times a year.

Anks329

Made some progress this weekend in stripping the donor. Got the hood out, bumper, fenders, front seats, and front calipers all out. Also, managed to empty the fuel tank; the seller was very considerate and sold the car with a full tank of gas. So emptying this out required multiple 5 gallon gas cans. Looking forward to getting the suspension and powertrain out next.

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-02 at 9.49.18 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-02 at 9.49.18 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-02 at 9.49.18 PM (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-02 at 9.49.18 PM (3).jpeg

And more images on instagram at: http://instagr.am/p/B8FK08oFIEW/

Jcas

I worked on mine today as well. Found that turn signal switch was the cause of no left turn light and the low voltage code on mass air flow sensor was caused because air box broke at flange for throttle body causing little to no air to come past sensor. So next weekend organize garage and get rid of engines I no longer need for RX7 making room for this project

Anks329

Made some progress over the last few days. In working on the suspension I had to cut off front sway bar connection to the struts. Now that I’m working on taking the axle nut off, the axle seems to spin as I’m using the wrench on it. Any suggestions on how to get this nut off?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Sounds like the perfect justification for a new air compressor and an impact driver. New project, new tools.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Made some progress over the last few days. In working on the suspension I had to cut off front sway bar connection to the struts. Now that I’m working on taking the axle nut off, the axle seems to spin as I’m using the wrench on it. Any suggestions on how to get this nut off?

View attachment 11584
put a pipe, pry bar, long extension or what ever between the studs touching the ground and that will lock the hub up. *note, pic not drawn to scale hehe
0ADB8C76-074D-4E17-839D-413CC7AC19E4.jpeg

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Another option would be to put a wheel and tire back on with a couple of lug nuts.

Anks329

looking great! The only way i could get those Axle nuts off is with an electric impact wrench. I got the cheap electric version and worked great. I had a big need to use this in other areas as well. i highly suggest getting one.

https://www.harborfreight.com/7a-12-in-impact-wrench-61173.html
I've got a Makita 18v impact wrench that I haven't had much luck with yet. Will try with the wheel back on, and hopefully it works. Otherwise another trip to Harbor Freight it is :)

Also, just placed my order for the kit! I'm going with the Extended City frame version. Exciting day!!

Motoracer110

I've got a Makita 18v impact wrench that I haven't had much luck with yet. Will try with the wheel back on, and hopefully it works. Otherwise another trip to Harbor Freight it is :)

Also, just placed my order for the kit! I'm going with the Extended City frame version. Exciting day!!
o dang they are on there good then, I did have to let my gun impact for about 10-15 seconds before mine came off

Karter2026

Goblin Guru

1/2" impact gun?? or the 1/4" impact driver? The 1/4" will never touch it.

Congrats on the frame decision

Anks329

As i'm cleaning out the engine bay, I ran into a connector that incorrectly labeled near the driver side headlights, it's got a green and yellow wire coming out of it and here's a picture of the connector

Second question, one of the ECM plugs was broken. Is it important to fix this, or can I leave it as is? And if I should replace it, where can I get a replacement plug?

Thanks!