Louisiana Registration

LotusAM

Lonny or Adam,

I'm very interested in building a Goblin in Louisiana. When I visited your shop on Jan. 4th, you said that you were helping someone in Louisiana try to get registration figured out. Have you guys had any luck? I found the attached document on the website:
https://www.semasan.com/resources/everything-you-need-register-and-title-your-hobby-car-all-50-states

Please let me know if you guys have any luck getting it registered. I really want to build one, but I would be mainly driving it on the street so getting it registered would be crucial.

Thanks,
Adam

Attachments

christianreaux

If you call the baton rouge department of vehicles an tell them what you are looking for they can help you. If you need help I already have all the info that one needs to register a cart in louisiana.

LotusAM

Hi everyone. I purchased an assembled one from South Carolina so the registration process might be different. To register the car was actually not hard at all. You have to bring all of your proof of the parts that you used in the car to the inspection place. They will look over your paperwork and give you an inspection certificate. I had to take mine to the special vehicle registration office at the Office of Motor Vehicles headquarters. I believe that I needed that inspection certificate, photo of the vehicle, proof of insurance, and title and bill of sale (might not be needed if you built yours).

The only issue that I ran into once I got the registration is that if you live in an emissions area, then you will definitely need to make the necessary modifications to make it pass the emissions testing. You have to add the EVAP system and do something to make the rear O2 sensor happy (add a cat or trick it).

CajunJeff

Couple things:
1. I wonder if there's a way to "sell" your donor car to someone in another state, and "buy" it back as an assembled Goblin (with you doing the actual work)
(I realize it still has to be initially inspected and get a VIN somewhere)
2. Did they actually check for the cat & evap, or did they just see if it was throwing codes?

jamesm

Goblin Guru
1. I wonder if there's a way to "sell" your donor car to someone in another state, and "buy" it back as an assembled Goblin (with you doing the actual work)
(I realize it still has to be initially inspected and get a VIN somewhere)
I'm not sure that'd work for the reason you mention. Most states require a physical inspection. A lot of states require inspection when transferring in a vehicle from another state so I think you'd have trouble there too.

2. Did they actually check for the cat & evap, or did they just see if it was throwing codes?
Most places I've seen that require emissions check the physical equipment and not just the codes.

I think the Montana route would be the safer (legal) path to title if one lives in an area that has excessive requirements.