Fozda's Standard Track Goblin - 06' SS/SC #196

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
That's way too much dip! I used less than a gallon to do the whole hood so for everything you'd be fine with 2 gallons total. I've sprayed entire vehicles and never used 5 gallons!
What do you think about the rep's comment about base coat? Your posts, as well as their own product videos, don't seem to imply you need a base coat, at all.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
What do you think about the rep's comment about base coat? Your posts, as well as their own product videos, don't seem to imply you need a base coat, at all.
I have never used a base coat. We have always done just the desired color over any vehicle color. After about 3 coats you already can't tell there was a different color underneath and you're only half way to all of the coats. The only time we ever did a "base coat" was when we dipped the car black and then put a pearl coat on top. It seems like they're just trying to get you to buy way more than you actually need.

Goblin Guru
I have never used a base coat. We have always done just the desired color over any vehicle color. After about 3 coats you already can't tell there was a different color underneath and you're only half way to all of the coats. The only time we ever did a "base coat" was when we dipped the car black and then put a pearl coat on top. It seems like they're just trying to get you to buy way more than you actually need.
Big shocker!

Thanks for the GOOD advice. That will help me finally decide how to finish off the car (wrap vs dip vs paint).

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Added a phone holder to the dash area. Nothing crazy but it sure will be nice to be able to use my phone for GPS map or speed and to control the helmets coms. Also, don't mind the boost gauge, that thing's jacked for some reason.
IMG_20200714_194945.jpg

Goblin Guru
Added a phone holder to the dash area. Nothing crazy but it sure will be nice to be able to use my phone for GPS map or speed and to control the helmets coms. Also, don't mind the boost gauge, that thing's jacked for some reason.
View attachment 15536
View attachment 15536
Looks good!

If I could ask, what exact shade of red did you use on your hood? Just trying to compare what I see in your pics with what is pictured on DYC's site.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
@Ark :D I just sprayed my hood (after a light 220 grit on the gelcoat) and can echo what @Fozda has said previously. I used less than 1gal for the hood for each color (base + top) but you could also probably get away with just spraying the top. I used the predip spray also. Turned out mint - do it!

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
View attachment 15536
That mount attached to the dash tube with no problem then? Any adapters needed?

Goblin Guru
This one is called Cinnamon Red.
For some reason I can't find it on the site in single gallons but here's a link to the kit page for color reference.
https://www.dipyourcar.com/collections/beginner-kits/products/cinnamon-red-car-kit?variant=5631734596
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the color representation on their site is pretty accurate. I was contemplating doing a color-shift wrap from Avery-Dennison (specifically was debating between gloss Rushing Riptide, Roaring Thunder, Lightning Ridge, or Rising Sun), but after thinking about it further, I may go with a Shelby-esque dip job. Would match up well with my wheels.

@Ark :D I just sprayed my hood (after a light 220 grit on the gelcoat) and can echo what @Fozda has said previously. I used less than 1gal for the hood for each color (base + top) but you could also probably get away with just spraying the top. I used the predip spray also. Turned out mint - do it!
Also good feedback, I was wondering about the prep. I have a few spots on my hood that could use some body filler or glazing putty. Think the dip would adhere ok to that? And is 220 as fine as you went?

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the color representation on their site is pretty accurate. I was contemplating doing a color-shift wrap from Avery-Dennison (specifically was debating between gloss Rushing Riptide, Roaring Thunder, Lightning Ridge, or Rising Sun), but after thinking about it further, I may go with a Shelby-esque dip job. Would match up well with my wheels.

Also good feedback, I was wondering about the prep. I have a few spots on my hood that could use some body filler or glazing putty. Think the dip would adhere ok to that? And is 220 as fine as you went?
I did the frosted pear and found the color representation to be spot on, which is difficult because it has a slight color shift to it. Their performance series is made to be easy to apply, I know the pearls and color shifts can be difficult for a first time sprayer. While frosted pear is a performance color, my next color will be a color shift. As a first time dyc'er and vocally hate painting, I feel comfortable enough with this stuff to go color shift as a next color.

I can't say much for the durability long term just yet, but the ease of getting a good initial result is surprisingly easy. Yes 220 was the finest I went. No need for primer or clear coat over the gelcoat, just a flat surface and it'll lay down fine (however you get there). I was able to get a smooth finish (minimal to no orange peel) spraying many layers near the lightest spray volume and waiting ~15-20min between coats. Total coats (base + color) were around 12 which took 4-5hrs - let it dry for 12-24hrs before install...boom done.

Sorry for the thread hijack

Fozda

Goblin Guru
That mount attached to the dash tube with no problem then? Any adapters needed?
Nope. lol the bar mount that comes with these is meant for a bicycle handlebar so it's much too small for the tubing we have. I bought a universal bar mount, made a 1.75" long spacer out of some small tube and bolted it all together.

jaredthenav

Pins 1 and 2 are both dark green low speed data wires but they are separate circuits. Once we separated the circuits everything works just like it should! How did I manage to mess this up when building the harness? I have no idea! lol
View attachment 15037
Do you remember where that other green wire connects to, then? Do you mean there will be 2 clusters of green wires? I still have the green wire from pin 2 that went to the body to dash plug and not sure what to do with it...