MisterDave's - Ext. city Goblin - 09 SS/TC donor

MisterDave

There are still a few things to do. I’m still having a leak coming from the front brake caliper bleeder screws. Trying everything I can think of before giving in to take the whole caliper off.
hood: I must be doing something wrong mounting it. I line it up under the radiator and the mounts at the dash don’t line up. I ended up putting the front lip between the radiator and lower mounts to line up the mounts at the dash. Maybe someone could direct me to a picture of what the mount in the front is supposed to look like?
Fender: still have to cut them to fit
Engine cover: same... still have to cut it.
side panel: still have to figure out how to mount them
Wrap: I just got the wrap, waiting to make sure everything fits before I wrap it.
WANG!: on order. Coming soon... maybe tomorrow?
Naca ducts: almost forgot. Still have to mount them.
Register: scariest part of the whole build.

Ross

Goblin Guru
You have tried Loctite on the brake caliper bleeder screw? Or some other kind of thread sealant?

MisterDave

You have tried Loctite on the brake caliper bleeder screw? Or some other kind of thread sealant?
I tried some of that permatex. Passenger side still leaked, but the drivers side didn’t after a short drive, but the rubber cover was half off.
I think they are just not seating properly... so even if I seal the thread it will work it’s way out of the end of the bleeder screw. I’m just guessing at this point.

MisterDave

I am guessing that bracket wasn’t supposed to be mounted on the inside of the hood. I guess I will be drilling out some rivets.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
That's how mine is mounted, and it fits extremely tight, but it does fit.

Actually, I completely lied. Mine is mounted to the underside, the opposite of yours. Sorry for misleading.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The mount goes outside of the hood, opposite of the image above.

The brackets need to be bent as shown below to match the hood angle.

MisterDave

I'm about to mount the side panels... Any tips for mounting them? Other than don't drill holes in the coolant hose;)

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I'm about to mount the side panels... Any tips for mounting them? Other than don't drill holes in the coolant hose;)
I used M4 well nuts and machine screws. In addition to not drilling the lower tube, mind your hole placement near where the upper tube meets the main hoop. Also, don't expect all of the premade holes in the side panels to align with the chassis in an ideal manner; relocate holes in the aluminum as necessary.

Goblin Guru
Take your time. Prop up the side panel with a floor jack or two, or use a helper. Align the panel first based on the curvature of the panel, and second based on the location of the front mounting holes. I put weather stripping behind mine to assist with mitigating vibration.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Yep, don't rivet them. Use clamps :) Can't even tell the clamps are there. The rubber gives a little buffer so they don't rattle either.

MisterDave

I like the clamp idea. I’ve ordered some clamps to give that a shot. I’m going to wait to put the panels on until I have the clamps.
Today I wrapped the hood and side panels. First time doing wrap so it is no where near perfect. Plenty of mistakes, but I learned a lot. I put the hood on without attaching it and taped the side panels on to try to see how it fits. Here’s the pic:

MisterDave

Just got the wing... tonight I decided to mock it up and try to figure out how I’m going to mount it. I’ll post some pics of what I came up with. Can’t decide if I really like this idea or if it’s too high.

Goblin Guru
Those are the DF uprights, are they not? Didn't you get a pair of angled, adjustable mounting brackets with them?

20200909_224950.jpg

GPfan

This build thread is great! I have the same reasons to buy a kit and build a Goblin. My son and I want to work on this together and learn as much as we can about putting a "car" together.

Your car looks awesome. Love the wheels, the color of your panels, and the wing. I say keep the wing high.