2.8 Turbo V6 with F40 from a Saab 9-3

Classy

Ok, I am knee deep in planning, and after riding in a turbo 2.0, I found myself wanting much more power from the engine. I know I could build up a ecotec, but that can get expensive. The 2.8 with a turbo upgrade and a tune can make 450-550 rwhp on the stock block. Also, the weight difference between an LNF and the 2.8 is pretty minimal. All that aside, technically if this were to work, you could put any HFE or possibly LFX engine in a goblin.

Now that the why is covered, I want to go over if. Assuming since it came out of a 9-3, I don't see why it wouldn't generally wouldn't bolt into a goblin frame. I know there may be some dimensional issues being a V style engine and of course the recently talked about fitting the F40 transmission. I am completely ready, able and anticipating some modification to fit it all in there. I spent some time looking at RRtoy's goblin this weekend and I think that the accessories may need to be moved around alittle, but otherwise should fit without issue since the ecotec is not a vertical engine and is at an angle already with the accessories and supercharger in his case filling the void where I assume the other bank of the V would fill. SO, width wise I don't see an issue as a V6 should actually be shorter than a 4 cylinder, length wise I think it will be as simple as routing accessories, plumbing and anything that may interfere with the turbo. and height I think should be no issue.

Onto Electronics, how realistic is it to run a cobalt BSM with a saab ECM? Assuming that would work, that would solve all the issues with the swap and I could just use a cobalt donor for everything but the engine. Assuming that wouldn't work, that would take me down a rabbit hole where I would likely ditch the cobalt electric steering, adapt a miata depowered steering rack, fab up a miata to cobalt steering rack adapter and just run no BSM with autometer style gauges.

PLEASE feel free to fill in the gaps in this theory

PS the V6 turbo exhaust sounds amazing

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Ok, I am knee deep in planning, and after riding in a turbo 2.0, I found myself wanting much more power from the engine. I know I could build up a ecotec, but that can get expensive. The 2.8 with a turbo upgrade and a tune can make 450-550 rwhp on the stock block. Also, the weight difference between an LNF and the 2.8 is pretty minimal. All that aside, technically if this were to work, you could put any HFE or possibly LFX engine in a goblin.

Now that the why is covered, I want to go over if. Assuming since it came out of a 9-3, I don't see why it wouldn't generally wouldn't bolt into a goblin frame. I know there may be some dimensional issues being a V style engine and of course the recently talked about fitting the F40 transmission. I am completely ready, able and anticipating some modification to fit it all in there. I spent some time looking at RRtoy's goblin this weekend and I think that the accessories may need to be moved around alittle, but otherwise should fit without issue since the ecotec is not a vertical engine and is at an angle already with the accessories and supercharger in his case filling the void where I assume the other bank of the V would fill. SO, width wise I don't see an issue as a V6 should actually be shorter than a 4 cylinder, length wise I think it will be as simple as routing accessories, plumbing and anything that may interfere with the turbo. and height I think should be no issue.

Onto Electronics, how realistic is it to run a cobalt BSM with a saab ECM? Assuming that would work, that would solve all the issues with the swap and I could just use a cobalt donor for everything but the engine. Assuming that wouldn't work, that would take me down a rabbit hole where I would likely ditch the cobalt electric steering, adapt a miata depowered steering rack, fab up a miata to cobalt steering rack adapter and just run no BSM with autometer style gauges.

PLEASE feel free to fill in the gaps in this theory

PS the V6 turbo exhaust sounds amazing
you can keep the cobalt rack, the power assist comes from the steering shaft mounted motor. You wouldn't need the cobalt BCM either, just need something to control ignition and lights since you will not be using the cobalt instrument cluster with your engine choice.

Ross

Goblin Guru
If you buy the power steering from a Saturn Vue, and the Bruno controller, you can adjust your power steering.
The Cobalt steering hasn't been hacked yet.

You probably want a stand alone engine management harness & controller.

Run your lights old school - wire them thru switches and relays, old flasher unit for the blinkers.
Run your gauges new school - GPS speedometer. Maybe instrumentation with the new engine mangement system.

Classy

So, essentially just figure out the pin out and have it power with ignition on, as will everything else that I would have to run if I were to ditch the cobalt BCM. Ignition isn't an issue, probably just have a simple push button with a hidden kill switch and use a removable steering wheel as a theft deterrent

Classy

If you buy the power steering from a Saturn Vue, and the Bruno controller, you can adjust your power steering.
The Cobalt steering hasn't been hacked yet.

You probably want a stand alone engine management harness & controller.

Run your lights old school - wire them thru switches and relays, old flasher unit for the blinkers.
Run your gauges new school - GPS speedometer. Maybe instrumentation with the new engine management system.
That is what I want to hear about the adjustable controller! Lights and gauges is not a problem. Probably make a board and put it inside a pelican case to make it water proof

I am trying to avoid going stand alone, but if I can't make it work with the ECM, I can go that way. That is what a guy with a feiro ended up doing and said it was a night and day difference

AZmoto

Interesting topic. I'd love to see you make this work. I'm looking for a decent TC donor but it's pretty bleak out there. It would be nice to have another high performance option.

Classy

The six speed automatic that had been modified would be quicker than a manual,
Brad
My man card says I need a manual in my life again, nothing like rowing through the gears, down shifting for turns and so on, automatics are so bland, I have one in my truck, it does the job but isn’t exciting

Tinkles

IMO, it isn't worth the headache. Your power goal is attainable on a stock LNF. All any Ecotec needs to hold 500hp is just aftermarket rods and pistons. Head work and cams help make the power easier, but if you shove enough boost into the engine it'll make it.

I am building mine quite differently than most and even with keeping with an Ecotec it is a headache.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Ecotec is an easy build, just follow the instructions. I encourage any animal who is willing to put a big engine in a small car. Carroll Shelby recipe for success. Especially since I'm not paying for it. Engineer on, my friend. (but give me a ride when it's done)

Classy

I will be honest and say I feel like this chassis has limitations. I am looking at other kits or options right now because I am not quite convinced so far. The Exocet can put the power down (proven) with whatever engine you want. But I am not sold on it either... I am pondering many options and hopefully something gives me the “AH HA!!” Moment

Ross

Goblin Guru
Chassis limitations? Weld a few bars on, and make it work for you! Carroll had the same issues with the AC chassis... neither it nor the Goblin is made for this level of power. That's where you come in. Engineer, test, repeat.

95Blitz

Classy go for it man. I don't think it's needed but will be a cool car when done. Oh and post LOTS of pictures.

Last edited: