Roof idea

Classy

So, I met with JBINTX yesterday and got to go for my first ride in a Goblin, to say it sold me would be an understatement. Since then and after riding in his toy, I have been going back and forth on easier entry into one of these with the full cage and door bars. My first instinct was to make a swinging door bar like in car roll cages, but I felt like this would be a half measure. My second thought was to take previous windshield designs that included a dual bar support in the middle and expand upon it. I am going bald, and sun burns are not fun on the scalp, so I need a roof. My idea would be to fabricate a windshield hoop, dual bar support to the main hoop behind the seats, fill the section between the bars with sheet metal, and then build a sort of gulwing t top design. It would be hinged in the middle and have air struts to hold it in position while up. It would have a single handle, dual latch design that would secure it to the front and rear main hoops. I went further and made it where it would be an OD and ID pipe fit with probably about 1/4” of clearance between the roof panel and the hoop that would get some sort of foam or rubber molding to seal it (this may cause issues and I might scrap the molding idea). The center of the roof door would have tabs welded on it and an aluminum panel bolted to it to fill the gap.

All this would make entry and exit much easier and may negate the swing out door bar all together.

Please excuse my rough notepad drawing, I am a mechanic/home fabricator, not an engineer

Attachments

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Always fun to get others addicted to the Goblin............ ;)
And, always a pleasure to meet a true Patriot who served our country!
The Houston chapter is gaining momentum!

I have not seen a roof mod like that, but with the Goblin, the sky is the limit. Plenty of other creative modifications have already been done to the Goblin.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Wes on the forum here built a really nice looking roof rack that kind of doubles as a sun shade of sorts.
Something to look at.

Ross

Goblin Guru
There is also a canvas sun shade.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Wes on the forum here built a really nice looking roof rack that kind of doubles as a sun shade of sorts.
Something to look at.
That looks **** awesome. Makes me regret choosing the City frame, a little bit.