Towerdog's Indiana Street Goblin Build (#250) 07 SS/SC Donor

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
So the weather here has made a turn for the worst, High winds and rain are putting a stop to the new building project so I started back in on the teardown of the donor last night and this morning..... And of course I have questions!! I dont like the way the wheel bearings feel and I would not mind leaving the rear hubs on to make it easier to get out of the shop.
That being said can I order new front/rear hubs w/o ABS (mine has 4 Wheel ABS)
Can the rotors be reused? I have ZZP drilled and slotted 11.5 front and 10.5 rears?
Are the stock steering ball joint ends reused?

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
So I was about to quit and go on a man hunt for the mechanic that worked on this car! Torque specs people! The lug nuts where so tight I had to put a 4' cheater bar on them and put all 255lbs of me into them to break them loose. Then I get to the passenger side control arm (replaced recently) cheater bar on all those..... Then the rear subframe bolt was spinning! Well somewhere on here a saw that guys had cut holes in the floor and at that moment it made sense as to why! Well low and behold I lift the insulated mat and found this! Not so mad at that guy anymore!!
20201114_121236.jpg

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
That being said can I order new front/rear hubs w/o ABS (mine has 4 Wheel ABS)
Can the rotors be reused? I have ZZP drilled and slotted 11.5 front and 10.5 rears?
Are the stock steering ball joint ends reused?
DF suppliesthe rotors.

Yes. Most replace the entire lower control arm, though, because the control arm bushings are fried along with the ball joint.
your outer tie rods will go in the back of the goblin and df supplied outer rods will go on the steering rack. Just an FYI

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
DF suppliesthe rotors.

Yes. Most replace the entire lower control arm, though, because the control arm bushings are fried along with the ball joint.
your outer tie rods will go in the back of the goblin and df supplied outer rods will go on the steering rack. Just an FYI
Thank you.
I was planing on replacing the control arms anyway as mine are steel and one is new so they don't match.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Finished stripping the donor on sunday......... and it was a total waste of time! Needed to get the fuel tank out and the rear hubs off. Fuel line "clips" held firm even when tried with a custom tool to put pressure directly on the tabs. Lowered the tank to get a better angle on them still no go so I cut the lines. $$$ new fuel pump. Rear caliper, E brake, and banjo bolts so rusty they didnt want to budge and Im guessing the rear bearings are worse than the fronts so $$$ new rear hubs.
20201123_205142.jpg

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Started cleaning parts last night. Found that the Brake reservoir aux fitting for the clutch was cracked $$$ new master and reservoir.

Trying to decide if I just go with my old faithful Dupli-Color brake caliper paint or get a powder coat setup. Anyone else do there own powder coating of small parts?

20201123_143604.jpg
20201123_205209.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
If it would help, I have a good stock brake/clutch reservoir with cap and fluid level sensor that I will not be installing - going with a Tilton triple remote reservoir. PM me.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Yes I used almost a can of PB LOL.... And not give it a squirt and start wrenching. Squirt soak squirt soak etc.

I wish I could remember my uncles concoction of ATF and something else. He claims it is the best penetrant for getting barrels off receivers.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Trying to decide if I just go with my old faithful Dupli-Color brake caliper paint or get a powder coat setup. Anyone else do there own powder coating of small parts?
I powder coated my front uprights, steering arms, upper rear suspension mounts, and some other bits in my garage using the Eastwood dual voltage kit and a toaster oven from Goodwill.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I powder coated my front uprights, steering arms, upper rear suspension mounts, and some other bits in my garage using the Eastwood dual voltage kit and a toaster oven from Goodwill.
That is the system I was looking at and just getting a used elec oven. Just not sure if I would be saving any over having a shop do them..... Although I have always wanted to have the ability just not sure I want an oven in my shop.

Goblin Graber

That is the system I was looking at and just getting a used elec oven. Just not sure if I would be saving any over having a shop do them..... Although I have always wanted to have the ability just not sure I want an oven in my shop.
I’m thinking of doing the same thing. A quick look on FB marketplace and a good used electric oven can be had for $100 easy.

Probably wouldn’t save much money coating all the small parts on the goblin after buying everything this time, but imagine how much money we could save on spray paint the next few years. Powder is way cheaper than paint and you can get some decent size parts in a normal oven.

I agree having an oven in the shop might look a little tacky. I’m thinking maybe mod the top where the burners are into a workbench with a piece of plate steel.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I’m thinking of doing the same thing. A quick look on FB marketplace and a good used electric oven can be had for $100 easy.

Probably wouldn’t save much money coating all the small parts on the goblin after buying everything this time, but imagine how much money we could save on spray paint the next few years. Powder is way cheaper than paint and you can get some decent size parts in a normal oven.

I agree having an oven in the shop might look a little tacky. I’m thinking maybe mod the top where the burners are into a workbench with a piece of plate steel.
I would eventually like to build an oven the size of a refrigerator on casters so I can Ceracoat barrels and longer stuff but I have too many projects on my plate as it is.

Had to spend most of the day Saturday trying to get this desk top coated that I started in April so I can get it out of my wood shop so I can use that table to do my wiring harness.

Attachments

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I'd be willing to bet that made a really nasty sound when it let go. From the imprint on the pressure plate that disk probably got pretty hot before it seized. I'd be worried about what other driveline parts got stressed because of this catastrophic failure. :oops:
Tranny runs (by hand) through all the gears smooth but I caint find reverse.