Brett W’s City Goblin – 09 SS Donor #229 v1

Brett

P0627 Pretty much tells the story. It says there is an open in the fuel pump circuit.
That's what I am reading. Time to bust on the trouble light and the volt / ohm meter.

Thanks for taking the time. Always appreciated.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Have you already checked the fuse, and the fuel pump relay?
Did you use the fuel pump to empty the donor gas tank?

Brett

Have you already checked the fuse, and the fuel pump relay?
Did you use the fuel pump to empty the donor gas tank?
fuse looks good, swapped relays for another of the same part number (ac clutch) and still not pumping.

I used it to empty the tank and the car was running when I got it.

Brett

IT RUNS!

I had a burned out circuit trace on the fuse box circuit board.

Thanks to this thread, I was able to get it working:

I am guessing it burned up when I was stripping the donner and drained the fuel.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
IT RUNS!

I had a burned out circuit trace on the fuse box circuit board.

Thanks to this thread, I was able to get it working:

I am guessing it burned up when I was stripping the donner and drained the fuel.
This brings up a great question had, isn't it a bit dangerous poking a wire in into a relay socket? I really studied the relay socket to make a 100% sure that I was shorting the correct relay contacts, but if someone had it backwards or confused, it could really cause some problems. It seems as if 12v has been jumped to one of the grounds causing it to burn the traces.

This is interesting, you found your issue to be the same as one in the quoted post. I was thinking about that post while helping you on yours but thought to myself the chances are very slim that you both would have the same freak issue. Now it makes all the sense in the world. If the wrong pins were jumped in the relay socket, a ground can be damaged and the fuel pump may not work. This will help others in the future.

Brett

Working on the car tonight and got the brakes and clutch bled. I used a Motive Power Pressure Bleeder #0108. This was awesome. Bleeding brakes was never easier.

Questions:
1. It appears that my clutch pedal will contact my steering shaft when fully pressed down and the steering at just the right position that the pedal arm contacts one of the bolts on the shaft. Has this been seen before? I tried searching but didn't hit the right terms.

2. I put about 4.5 gallons of fuel in the tank and the gauge is not reading anything. At what point should the gauge start reading? Did I bend the arm too much? Is it just what it is? Any input would be appreciated.

Brett

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Working on the car tonight and got the brakes and clutch bled. I used a Motive Power Pressure Bleeder #0108. This was awesome. Bleeding brakes was never easier.

Questions:
1. It appears that my clutch pedal will contact my steering shaft when fully pressed down and the steering at just the right position that the pedal arm contacts one of the bolts on the shaft. Has this been seen before? I tried searching but didn't hit the right terms.

2. I put about 4.5 gallons of fuel in the tank and the gauge is not reading anything. At what point should the gauge start reading? Did I bend the arm too much? Is it just what it is? Any input would be appreciated.

Brett
On the fuel gauge, mine does take some time to register even now when I fill up. Also check the electrical connector to the top of the fuel pump. I had a loose pin there during the build and resulted in no reading.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I had to modify clutch pedal a fair bit. Trimmed the right side of the clutch arm, where it hangs out to catch the switch. Bent the pivot point a bit over to get more pedal clearance.

Last edited:

KSLunsfo

I put about 4.5 gallons of fuel in the tank and the gauge is not reading anything. At what point should the gauge start reading? Did I bend the arm too much? Is it just what it is? Any input would be appreciated.
Just a bit ago I put approximately 2.5 gallons in (call it 2-3, not sure exactly) and my gauge registers just over 1/8th of a tank.

Brett

just dumping this here to save it:

Rear tail light wiring for 2009 SS Coupe

Left Rear
Bottom three wires
white: ground - black
red: stop/turn - yellow
black: tail light - brown

Top two wires
red: reverse - light green

Right Rear
Bottom three wires
red: stop/turn - dark green
black: tail light - brn

Top two wires
red: reverse - light green

Brett

I received a couple of private messages from a few of you. My seats came in yesterday the 24th of December. My dad was in town for the holidays and we put them in together and had a great time. Took the car and put gas in it no problems there came back and gave the family a little once around the block. Made sure all the bolts were good that I could tell. And then went and drove around on my own nothing crazy going on. Stayed below the speed limit in the neighborhood. My neighborhood backs up to industrial Park that was pretty quiet so I was just driving up and down there enjoying shifting the car and the day. and then something happened. What, I don't know yet I'm still in the hospital but the car all the sudden took a hard left and hit a parked car. Crap happens. Just a car so we'll get a rebuilt do something I don't know. I might have to get with DF and get a new frame honestly haven't seen the extended the damage in person so. I tore my Achilles broke my tibia and fibula in a few spots. Obviously the focus will be me for a while. We'll get the car done. I'll see if I can post some pictures here from my phone.

using text-to-speech so I don't know how well this is going to sound but the text above is probably somewhat understandable.

Car kind of completed.

PXL_20201224_230331382.MP.jpg

A couple of pictures after the accident. I haven't seen it I went straight to the hospital.

IMG_20201224_215645.jpg
IMG_20201225_065002.jpg

Car was not titled yet Houston Police department really didn't want to deal with it and it was Christmas Eve. No citations issued. They actually let the wrecker take the car back to my house a few blocks away and it's in the garage.

The car that I hit was a 2002 Dodge Intrepid that. had temporary tags on it. In my My part of town that may indicate a vehicle that wasn't licensed. Those tags are copied all the time. Houston police department towed that vehicle and impounded it we have no idea who it is. Crappy part is I don't have insurance on my car yet. I shouldn't have been out driving it. Lesson learned. I just wanted to enjoy it for 15 minutes. I think I got about 12 out of it. I got to take care of myself so I'll probably get back on the goblin project end of 2021 beginning 2022 we'll figure it out.

Brett

Last edited:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Oh man. I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you. Right at this time of year, too. :(

Get well man, hoping for the best for your recovery!

KSLunsfo

Sorry this happened... I can only imagine how heartbroken I would feel. It's good to hear you're already thinking of rebuild though. But most importantly it's a good thing you're ok.