Brett W’s City Goblin – 09 SS Donor #229 v1

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Dang, that's scary. Glad your (mostly) in one piece and hoping for speedy recovery.

Once you get better, the forensics on what happened with your Goblin will be anticipated from the rest of us. This was a bad event, to say the least, but understanding what may have been the failure cause may help someone else avoid this same type of event. (This is systems engineer speaking in me) From your description of the car veering sharply left could be steering component failure, a suspension failure, or a hub failure. Can't tell much from the photos, but the driver's side front corner is torn away and folded over to the passenger side. Sorry this happened.:eek:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
****!
Glad to hear you’re mostly ok. Nice to hear the police let things go.

You have a great supportive group of people here who’ve got your back.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
The Houston crew has already asked to do an autopsy (we all have each other’s numbers and have been chatting for a while, probably in annoyance levels for some :D ). not trying to point fingers anywhere, but it’ll be good to know what the hell happened.

We also have talked about a “check list” of critical points to check bolt tightness and such. Plus, we are also talking about get togethers where we can go over each other’s cars looking for problems. Sometimes a new set of eyes is a good thing on something like this.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
The Houston crew has already asked to do an autopsy (we all have each other’s numbers and have been chatting for a while, probably in annoyance levels for some :D ). not trying to point fingers anywhere, but it’ll be good to know what the hell happened.

We also have talked about a “check list” of critical points to check bolt tightness and such. Plus, we are also talking about get togethers where we can go over each other’s cars looking for problems. Sometimes a new set of eyes is a good thing on something like this.
Honestly, I think a preflight checklist would be an awesome idea.

Classy

I don’t even have a goblin and I have been a part of this! Once Brett is up to it, I would love to look it over in person

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Something like this would be really useful!
I know my sandrail well and do my own inspection as well as have applied torque stripe in critical areas. The helicopters I fly are maintained by amazing technicians.

There are certain parts you just need to look at prior to every ride.

Brett

Thank you everyone.

I know the Houston group definitely wants to look at it and do a postmortem analysis. We will definitely do something and write it up and to let people know what we suspect happened.

I will say I am not a mechanical engineer, I'm a business major that sells computer hardware.

There's an open invitation for anyone who wants to take a look at it. Obviously once I'm up and about.

With the number of vehicles that have been built, there is a great potential that this was builder error. Or it could have been a part on the vehicle that failed due to the original accident from the Cobalt. Who knows. If it was my fault I'll fully document and own it.

Brett

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Hope you are feeling better and get out of the hospital soon. I know you have lots of offers to look the car over and while I don't have Goblin experience yet I am a mechanical engineer who does failure determination for oilfield equipment so I can throw my name in the hat when you are ready.

Joe

Brett

Hope you are feeling better and get out of the hospital soon. I know you have lots of offers to look the car over and while I don't have Goblin experience yet I am a mechanical engineer who does failure determination for oilfield equipment so I can throw my name in the hat when you are ready.

Joe
Your background and experience will be helpful. In a few weeks, we will put something together and have everyone that wants to take a look come by.

Classy

I was thinking about sending you message today checking up on you! Glad to see things are finishing up at the hospital

Goblin Graber

Joe
A mechanical engineer that does failure determination? Goblin experience or not that definitely makes you an expert in my book.

pisco

I had my final surgery Monday morning. I am still in the hospital but should be released on Wednesday. Hopefully, I can spend a few minutes over the weekend looking over my destruction ;-)
Glad to hear you are recovering

Brett

Just wanted to drop a note here and say I have been home for a few days. Since my Achilles is blown, it will be a long road to full recovery but I am going to nail it.

On a side note, I am putting together a get together of whoever is interested to go through my goblin. I am in the Houston area. If you want details on the get together, please send me a message with your email address and I will send you details.