Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Now you can be one of the cool kids...... ;)

and it is so cool to get to reply on your 50th page of your build log! :)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
So, my dad passed away pretty suddenly, last Tuesday. It was sudden insomuch that 24 hours prior, we were not expecting him to be gone the next day. But, it was not sudden in that the man never, ever took care of himself. Between alcohol, various other substances, dirt biking as a teenager, taking unnecessary risks while wrenching on cars (his passion), we knew he wasn't going to live to be an old age. I am just happy I was able to start building the Goblin when I did, and that I was able to see it through to (relative) fruition before he was gone. For the last few years, he was unable to do his own wrenching, so he took great interest in my project and was very helpful along the way. He never expected his IT nerd of a son to build a kit car, and he enjoyed the project immensely.

That being said, I've left the Goblin sit since November because it's too cold to work on it in my garage. With the passing of my dad, I decided to focus on finishing up some of the little stuff I never did get done in the fall. Even though it was 29 degrees this morning, I started early and learned I can tolerate it as long as I spend a few minutes thawing out every half hour or so. I cut out and disposed of all the extra wiring I had ran in the fall to support my spoiler light. I tidied up some wiring while I was at it. I also installed the LED headlights I got a while back (thanks for the mounts and adapter rings @Mayor West ). I didn't finish off the wiring because I still have to run turn signal wires to the headlights, to support the turn signals included in the headlights.

20210119_160153.jpg20210119_160226.jpg20210119_160241.jpg

(Also I realized some time ago that my towing mount points are upside down. It's on the list...)

Speaking of turn signals ...... I could use a little community brainstorming once again. I have a wiring problem that I can't figure out. When the ignition is in the ON position and I step on the brake, my passenger-side mirror turn signal lights up with the brakes. I feel like power from one of the brake circuits is seeping back into the right turn signal circuit somehow. It's not a wiring issue with the mirror (I disconnected it and tested the turn signal circuit sans mirror, it got the 12v). So I thought maybe the right taillight was faulty, so I disconnected it. The issue persisted even without the right taillight hooked up. So now I am kind of at a loss ... I haven't dug into the wiring yet, but I was hoping one of you brainiacs could say "Duh!! It's the ____________!" ;)

FTC

So, my dad passed away pretty suddenly, last Tuesday. It was sudden insomuch that 24 hours prior, we were not expecting him to be gone the next day. But, it was not sudden in that the man never, ever took care of himself. Between alcohol, various other substances, dirt biking as a teenager, taking unnecessary risks while wrenching on cars (his passion), we knew he wasn't going to live to be an old age. I am just happy I was able to start building the Goblin when I did, and that I was able to see it through to (relative) fruition before he was gone. For the last few years, he was unable to do his own wrenching, so he took great interest in my project and was very helpful along the way. He never expected his IT nerd of a son to build a kit car, and he enjoyed the project immensely.

That being said, I've left the Goblin sit since November because it's too cold to work on it in my garage. With the passing of my dad, I decided to focus on finishing up some of the little stuff I never did get done in the fall. Even though it was 29 degrees this morning, I started early and learned I can tolerate it as long as I spend a few minutes thawing out every half hour or so. I cut out and disposed of all the extra wiring I had ran in the fall to support my spoiler light. I tidied up some wiring while I was at it. I also installed the LED headlights I got a while back (thanks for the mounts and adapter rings @Mayor West ). I didn't finish off the wiring because I still have to run turn signal wires to the headlights, to support the turn signals included in the headlights.

View attachment 20095View attachment 20096View attachment 20097

(Also I realized some time ago that my towing mount points are upside down. It's on the list...)

Speaking of turn signals ...... I could use a little community brainstorming once again. I have a wiring problem that I can't figure out. When the ignition is in the ON position and I step on the brake, my passenger-side mirror turn signal lights up with the brakes. I feel like power from one of the brake circuits is seeping back into the right turn signal circuit somehow. It's not a wiring issue with the mirror (I disconnected it and tested the turn signal circuit sans mirror, it got the 12v). So I thought maybe the right taillight was faulty, so I disconnected it. The issue persisted even without the right taillight hooked up. So now I am kind of at a loss ... I haven't dug into the wiring yet, but I was hoping one of you brainiacs could say "Duh!! It's the ____________!" ;)
I had similar issues. The circuit inside some LED's allows bleed over to the other circuit if one is on. So for example if I turned on my parking lights/head lights the third brake light would energize because of bleed over into the brake circuit. If I had the lights off but stepped on the brakes there would be bleed over into the parking light circuit. I worked around this by putting diodes in the wiring to make sure it was a one way circuit. Give that a go and see if that fixes your issue.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ark, I'm sorry to hear about your Dad passing. Sounds like you had a good relationship with him, especially in recent times with the Goblin project. Working on and driving it should provide you with good memories, which are priceless and will be there forever.
Brave the cold and think warm thoughts! :D

Goblin Guru
I had similar issues. The circuit inside some LED's allows bleed over to the other circuit if one is on. So for example if I turned on my parking lights/head lights the third brake light would energize because of bleed over into the brake circuit. If I had the lights off but stepped on the brakes there would be bleed over into the parking light circuit. I worked around this by putting diodes in the wiring to make sure it was a one way circuit. Give that a go and see if that fixes your issue.
Interesting thought. Weird that it's only on the one side though ... I feel like it's more likely I have a wiring issue, but I've got some diodes laying around to test with so I'll give it a shot.

Did the 3D printed parts I sent you work out ok?
Yep, worked great. I ended up using different lights that I initially wanted to, but the mounts and rings worked just fine. I thought I'd be slick and mount them with the base backwards, to keep the light assemblies further back on the car, but I don't have the adjustment range necessary so I'll flip 'em tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your dad, that's tough to go through.
Sorry to hear about your Dad.
Ark, I'm sorry to hear about your Dad passing. Sounds like you had a good relationship with him, especially in recent times with the Goblin project. Working on and driving it should provide you with good memories, which are priceless and will be there forever.
Brave the cold and think warm thoughts! :D
Thank you guys, for the kind words. We'll be ok. We'd mostly prepared ourselves for this, so the blow was softened.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

View attachment 20095View attachment 20096View attachment 20097

Please accept my condolences, friend.

Goblin Guru
To update on the aforementioned "turn signal is lighting up with my brake lights" issue, I realized yesterday exactly what's going on here.

My issue is mostly a logical one. It goes like this: sometime over the summer, when I was messing with the harness, I "broke" my passenger front turn signal. I believed it was most like a bad solder point somewhere in the harness, between the BCM and the turn signal. To fix it at the time, I simply ran a new wire and tapped into the BCM connector. Worked just fine. However, when I did it, I wasn't even thinking about the fact that the front turn signals differ from the rear turn signals, in that the rear signals combine in the function of the brake lights into the wire, since there is a single bulb for both functions. When I "fixed" my front right signal, I tapped into the rear right signal because it was easier to get to in terms of the BCM connectors. I know the right way to fix this is to pull the harness out and find/fix the break in the dark blue wire that acts as the front right signal. I don't know if I'll do that or not (my tape job is extreme and unwrapping that bad boy, wooooweeee), but I will at least correct which pin I am tapping into for the turn signal.

I do have one other small problem and I could use a memory refresh from @Lonny or anyone else. I found this along the wall of my garage:

20210121_103025.jpg

If memory serves, that is a spacer that goes in the front suspension. That would make sense, as I disassembled my front and rear suspension a while ago to swap the 300# and 400# springs. I looked closely at both sides of the front suspension and I can clearly see all four of these spacers at the bottom of the coilover. Could this have come from somewhere else? I really don't remember where else this could go.

Thanks as always guys!

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
did either one of your donors have upgraded engine or trans mounts? looks like one of the spacers that come with them