Aftermarket solid shifter?

Peregrinus

The attachment holes are 2 1/16 of an inch center to center. I believe that the extension that sticks out to the back is about 3 1/4 inches wide. About as narrow as I wanted to make it. I did give it twice the adjustment as the original piece had. If you put the holes all the way towards the right “back”, it would fit like the stock shifter by moving it a little over 2 inches back. Anything forward of that would of course be forward of the stock location.
Oh okay, so it's just perspective then from the picture, all good! Perfect, sounds ideal. Excited to see how it fits

Brett

I am wondering if you can pickup some parts to eliminate the plastic linkage from the goblin. I was going to dig around on McMaster Carr but I don't have the parts in front of me. I did it with the stock shifter and some guidance from SACTX.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I am wondering if you can pickup some parts to eliminate the plastic linkage from the goblin. I was going to dig around on McMaster Carr but I don't have the parts in front of me. I did it with the stock shifter and some guidance from SACTX.
I was thinking of replacing the second plastic piece with a rod end similar to the other one.

Peregrinus

Working on a bottom plate for this guy. Rather than adapters to shift it backwards I might be able to get a new plate made that would match up to our cars and shift it back..

I’m going to cut out a test piece on Monday from MDF.
How did this work out, ever get your test piece done?

Got my shifter but havnt been to storage yet to see how it all lined up. Thing is beautiful though.

SACTX

I have the template for the base cut out. I made this one out of three-quarter inch thick MDF. I might have time this weekend or next week to work on it and see how well it lines up. I am working on my supercharger swap right now.

Looking at it, it looks like it may need a little bit of adjustment but I think it will work pretty well.

Attachments

KSLunsfo

Still think this is the best upgrade anyone with a manual could do.
@DCMoney I see you've switched your one cable to be connected on the backside of the shifter, bypassing the reversing lever. Did your previous concept with the added bracket not work as you hoped/expected?

Peregrinus

@DCMoney I see you've switched your one cable to be connected on the backside of the shifter, bypassing the reversing lever. Did your previous concept with the added bracket not work as you hoped/expected?
I talked to him in pms awhile back, he said it never quite worked right using the reversible modifications, so he did the same as the others and ran the second line from the back. This new shifter we found should hopefully fix that issue entirely though. Fingers crossed!

KSLunsfo

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to make the k tuned shifter work mainly since I already have it along with a custom anodized CNC plate to mount it on. He seemed to have that old configuration for a little while. So perhaps I can get by with it and if I'm not happy and this new shifter pans out I'll convert down the road.

Peregrinus

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to make the k tuned shifter work mainly since I already have it along with a custom anodized CNC plate to mount it on. He seemed to have that old configuration for a little while. So perhaps I can get by with it and if I'm not happy and this new shifter pans out I'll convert down the road.
He said it worked well in his newest iteration, he added a gusset and I believe another support to it and he was happy. So it'll work just fine for you I imagine. I'm sure he will post here eventually. He was always pretty quick to reply to pms.

SACTX

I had a good weekend. The shifter base actually attaches to the shifter. I had to make some small modifications to get it to work correctly. I am making a new mock up today and will work on it sometime this week and hopefully mount it to the car.

My goal is for it to be able to be mounted 1/2 inch closer to the driver and up to 1 1/2 inches forward. This would all be adjusted by mounting the shifter to the base and not moving the base in the car.

Attachments

Fozda

Goblin Guru
The red fitting came with my kit originally. So I have that one already. But where'd you get the circled in blue one? Looks like an easy hookup.
The one circled in red came with your shifter? Mine came with a ball attachment.
I used the following parts for the attachment circled in blue from McMaster-Carr:
3798K64 Fully Threaded Rod End Bolt, M8 x 1.25 mm Shank Thread, 50 mm Shank Center Length
2448K47 Easy-Adapt Clevis Rod End, M8 x 1.25mm Shank Thread, 31.75mm Shank Center Length
91409A116 Black-Oxide Steel Male-Female Hex Thread Adapter, M8 x 1.25 mm Thread to M6 x 1 mm Thread

The clevis rod end and the other rod end were too tight to just slide together so I had to file it down a bit and then I had to cut about a half inch off the threads to get it to thread all the way up in the bottom on the shifter.

Peregrinus

The one circled in red came with your shifter? Mine came with a ball attachment.
I used the following parts for the attachment circled in blue from McMaster-Carr:
3798K64 Fully Threaded Rod End Bolt, M8 x 1.25 mm Shank Thread, 50 mm Shank Center Length
2448K47 Easy-Adapt Clevis Rod End, M8 x 1.25mm Shank Thread, 31.75mm Shank Center Length
91409A116 Black-Oxide Steel Male-Female Hex Thread Adapter, M8 x 1.25 mm Thread to M6 x 1 mm Thread

The clevis rod end and the other rod end were too tight to just slide together so I had to file it down a bit and then I had to cut about a half inch off the threads to get it to thread all the way up in the bottom on the shifter.
Yessir, my kit is #0017 I bought it from the original buyer partially built. Early kits came with that part from df, but they had supply issues and switched it to something else later on.

Thanks for the part numbers and explanation, I'll get that all setup so come spring I can just bolt it on and go! Super excited the shifter was literally one of the only few main things about the kit I didn't like, so this is awesome for sure.

Brett

Maybe df will make this an available option someday.
I think DF's mindset is that they want to focus on the core kit. Something like this could be handled by the "aftermarket". It would be up to an enterprising individual to stock the bits and pieces to make the shifter work and sell them.

My wife sells stuff on etsy and something like this could easily be listed and sold there. Either as a parts kit to complete the ebay shifter for the Goblin or include the shifter too (this could get expensive to stock).

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
We have a plate that will attach to the stock mounting locations.

I still need to adjust it a little bit. About half an inch towards the driver and another inch rear words and it would be in the exact stock location.
Its looking good!

Is this a mount that you are going to make and sell us or will you have the DXF files for it?

Ive got mine cut down but that is about it... Still waiting for a frame to put it in!

Attachments