Anks329 - Extended City - '07 LS - #190 REGISTERED

Anks329

Cause a Goblin needs to fly!

@Goblin Graber and @Ark :D The wing basically mounts directly onto the DF uprights. The distance between the supports is not exactly the same as the car, but it is close enough that there is enough flex to make it fit without issue.

If you try to use the supports that wing came with, the mount locations don't line up with the DF uprights, I could have built an adapter, but decided to skip that and mount the uprights directly to the wing.

Here's a close up of how the wing mounts up

Peregrinus

Man the color of that frame! Absolutely love it.

I grabbed an ebay wing for my car from a kid with a honda off facebook marketplace, oddly enough it bolted directly up to the df mounts with zero modification. Best $60 ever! It was a generic no name brand honda wing, I wish it had a part number on it. It's actually pretty nice.

Last edited:

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Pardon me if someone has already asked but can you give me some info regarding the exact specs for the rims and tires?

Seems to be the biggest thing that I'm worried about getting the wheels wrong and them rubbing when turning the steering to its limits?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Pardon me if someone has already asked but can you give me some info regarding the exact specs for the rims and tires?

Seems to be the biggest thing that I'm worried about getting the wheels wrong and them rubbing when turning the steering to its limits?
This should help a lot. This is a huge list of the wheels and tires others have used on their build. This should give you an idea of what you can use.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Thanks, I've seen that chart and it helps but can I be sure none of those had issues with rubbing?

Anks329

+1 to the tires and wheel's thread (I need to add my info to that).

With my set up, there definitely is some rubbing if I turn the steering wheel entirely to one side or the other. I do need to add some stops to prevent that. The flip side, I typically don't need to turn the wheel a whole lot to move the car. So only really have an issue leaving or entering the driveway.

I used Drag wheels (DR-33) from Discount Tire: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/drag-dr-33 and Nokian Tire - Entyre 2.0 (195 /60 R15 92H XL BSW) also from Discount Tire: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nokian-tire-entyre-2-0/p/25010?exactmatch=true They did question the lack of TPMS on the wheels when they were completing my order, but had no issues with it.

After driving the car for a couple of months now, I am wondering if I should have gone with a 17" setup instead of the 15", might give me a little more ground clearance?

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
The way I see it is if you maintain the same backspacing as stock and same or smaller overall diameter as stock (wheel with tire) then you shouldn’t have issues with rubbing.
Use the many tools out there to compare a stock cobalt wheel (take your pick, but I believe the 18s on the SS are the tallest/widest) at 215/45/18 on a 18” x 7” wheel with 42 offset.
That’s a backspacing of 5.65” and overall diameter of 25.6”

So long as the wheels/tires are 25.6” or smaller in diameter with a backspacing of 5.65” or smaller, you shouldn’t have rubbing issues

Ross

Goblin Guru
I originally had my brake lines on the outside of the A arms, but have since moved them to the inside.
The outside wasn't a good location for those lines when turning!

Rttoys

Goblin Guru

i got completely frustrated with “what would fit”, so I went with what would fit correctly on a cobalt and went from there.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru

I used this calculator, Ross advised. I played with it till I got as close to stock diameter on the rear.

Anks329

So after ~8 months of other life stuff coming in the way, I'm finally back to working on my Goblin. I got some drives in to start tuning the car, which is always fun. But have a few items to go on my list:
  • Clean up wires for the wideband
  • Install BCM kickplate
  • Figure out wiring for and install a third brake light
  • Add slider for driver seat
  • Tighten the passenger seat mount
  • MAF and VE tuning
  • Wrap installation - have the design all worked out, need to get the car up to the shop and get it installed
If I get the above done before the winter, then over the winter I will:
  • Install turbo kit - need to figure out a solution for a new exhaust to fit the larger turbo exhaust or find a way to step down the turbo exhaust to fit my existing set up
  • Set up to tune with turbo - mainly get the car to start, and stay on once the turbo is installed
  • Paint the brake calipers in red

Anks329

So, I don’t know what happened over the last 2 years but I didn’t touch my Goblin. But I got time last weekend and got back into driving shape for the summer!

From the list above:
  • Clean up wires for the wideband
  • Install BCM kickplate
  • Figure out wiring for and install a third brake light
  • Add slider for driver seat
  • Tighten the passenger seat mount
  • MAF and VE tuning
  • Wrap installation - have the design all worked out, need to get the car up to the shop and get it installed

Anks329

Add a SAE power port to keep my battery tender plugged in and keep the battery charged up. Battery is kinda dieing, so need a replacement over the weekend.

Anks329

I've routed it to my dashboard area for now. I'm thinking of doing a wooden dash later this year, so will mount it nicely along with some other gauges and such.