Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
View attachment 20118
It looks like you're gettin hitched.
To your Goblin!

That doesn't look familliar. It looks bigger than 1/2 ID.
Probably my fault for taking such a close pic. It's exactly 1/2" ID. I'm trying to remember without actually taking the suspension apart again, were there more than 4 of these in the kit? Do they go on the top of the front suspension too (I don't think they do)?

Definitely not from another piece in the garage. Lawn mower, etc are fully on the other side of the garage, and this spacer was right next to my front wheel, against the garage wall. I will likely just have to take it back apart and see.

Goblin Guru
Finally fixed my turn signal issue permanently, and finished wiring up the headlights. Just in case anyone was interested in what they look like...

(Yes, I know my under-hood wiring is a mess, I have not buttoned it up yet. I can only take so much 28 degree temps!)

Goblin Guru
Yep, they're 5.75" motorcycle headlights and matching buckets from Amazon. They work great, they're blindingly bright at night and don't aim high so they won't bother oncoming drivers.

Goblin Guru
Finally got around to replacing my old wing. There's still some adjusting to do, as I feel it needs to tilt just a wee bit more forward, but I feel like it's a big upgrade in terms of looks and even functionality than my old one. It should actually provide some downforce once I get it tilted properly.

20210220_145400.jpg

20210220_145413.jpg20210220_145508.jpg

As far as other things;
  • I figured out where my metal spacer was missing from. I went back to the front suspension build video and discovered it was missing from the top of the front coilover, between the coilover and the frame. That led me to know the other one was missing as well, so I went on a search for it and found it under my workbench. It's amazing how these things can get away from you. Both have been reinstalled properly.
  • I properly centered my steering rack and remounted my steering wheel. I will have to re-do my front alignment, but I wanted to get that centering corrected. It was about an inch off before; now it's perfect.
  • I soldered in a bulkier resistor for my third brake light wire.
  • I also soldered in resistors to stop the rapid turn signal blink.
  • I ordered a quick-release steering wheel setup. Once it arrives and I get it installed, I'll share some pics.
  • Still working on an audio design/solution. I don't think I am going to go with any sort of ATV sound bar; I don't like how it's right out in the open, and I want to be able to power the sound system on and off using a button on my dash, which the sound bars won't do. I'm most likely going to go with a small bluetooth-capable amp and a pair of 5.25" component speakers (mounted in cutouts in the vertical sides of my footwell cover). I still need to check clearance there, hopefully it's a little more than 1.75". My hood is still offsite so I can't check this until I bring it home.
  • Still trying to determine the best way to mount my rock lights. I may not use them and go with some LED light strips instead. The rock lights won't light as evenly as strips and will have a ton of wire to hide/deal with.
  • REALLY looking forward to receiving SACTX's shifter upgrade package. I already have a new shifter knob in-hand and waiting. :)
  • Registration. I am going to kick off that process this week. I have my MCO, I have the money banked away to pay for registration/insurance, and I have insurance lined up. It will be road-legal by the time it's warm enough to drive it.
That's it for now.

Last edited:

Lokian

Finally got around to replacing my old wing. There's still some adjusting to do, as I feel it needs to tilt just a wee bit more forward, but I feel like it's a big upgrade in terms of looks and even functionality than my old one. It should actually provide some downforce once I get it tilted properly.

View attachment 20825
Where did you get the new wang?

Goblin Guru
eBay.

I still am not willing to drop big money on one of the top-end wings like the Seibon or 9Lives, but I wanted something better than the one I previously got. My primary focus when picking my old one, was that it had an integrated third brake light that was highly-visible and would help the Goblin be seen by others on the road. What I didn't care much for was its overall appearance (flat, straight aluminum) and length (51"). Bad QC. Oh, and the fact that the third brake light had already failed, in spite of the odometer only having 11 miles on it.

The new one is "real" carbon fiber (yeah right) and is 57" in length. The mounting positions on the bottom are between 27" and 28" apart, so not a perfect match for the Goblin uprights, but close enough to be adaptable with little trouble. No complaints thus far about the new wing.

*edit* I don't know why their pics of the wing have the ends upside down. They do fit fine, the correct way.

Last edited:

Goblin Guru
Being that I am rounding the final bend in terms of both registration and insurance, I needed to get the Goblin back down on all-fours and get it looking like a finished car, again. So I went and retrieved my hood over my lunch break, threw the footwell cover back on, and threw the hood on. When it's not raining here, I'll take it outside for a new round of "finished pics" (I will need one from each of the four sides for insurance), but I did snag a few more in the garage.

I am probably not going to pursue an audio solution for some time yet. Maybe in the spring or summer. I need a break.

New headlights with the hood on:
20210301_134042.jpg

New wing:
20210301_134054.jpg

New quick-release wheel (I LOVE IT):
20210301_134131.jpg

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Looks good, kinda makes me wish I had got a city frame instead. What is the AOA set at for your wing? It looks very aggressive. Any plans to re-route the anti-sub belt?

Goblin Guru
Wing angle looking that way is (probably) a function of the picture's angle. The front edge of the wing looks level to me, which is why I angled it the way I did. See attached.

20210301_155832.jpg

Not planning to re-route the lower belt, no. I may end up removing it, to be honest.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Not planning to re-route the lower belt, no. I may end up removing it, to be honest.
I've always heard that 4 point harness is dangerous since you don't bend like a standard seat belt and will slide out or have the waist belt ride too high and cause injury. How much real evidence for there is for this, I don't know.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Did you work an advertising deal with Lonny and the DF factory??????......... You getting kick backs??... :0

Wing looks custom for the Goblin. :)