Manual brake conversion

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yep, the same one I got from Summit. Clamping it in a vise and using some sort of lubricant on the die, seems to really help.

Last edited:

Tinkles

I have a cheap flare tool from Amazon that I used on my old Del Sol project car.... making brake lines was/is not something I enjoy doing, it was an absolute nightmare. Absolutely spend money on a proper brake flare tool... you get what you pay for in this situation.
I agree 1000%. I used 2 or 3 different cheap flaring tools and was fighting it the whole time. I finally ordered a Blue Point flaring tool and it made everything soo much easier.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member

Attachments

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I was eying the Mastercool one yesterday (not sure why, so far I don't need to flare any lines). It will do more types of flares than any other I found. The next closest was the Eastwood version of what Lonny posted that will do both 37 and 45 degree flares.

Peregrinus

Has anyone tried the brembos with the manual brakes? Would that be a decent option to actually keep the stock brembos maybe? Going manual brakes might help with the brembos being such overkill? I'm sure it's still way overkill. I was just curious lol

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
There a few builders who have used the Brembos or Wilwood brakes on their cars. If you search the forum in the brakes section, but some could be in build logs.

Tinkles

Has anyone tried the brembos with the manual brakes? Would that be a decent option to actually keep the stock brembos maybe? Going manual brakes might help with the brembos being such overkill? I'm sure it's still way overkill. I was just curious lol
I am. But am using a Wilwood pedal box and propoitioning valves to adjust the brake pressure.

Peregrinus

I just remember earlier in the thread there was mention of the manual brakes needing alot of pressure, was just thinking maybe the brembos would balance out the braking with moderate pressure, and then you could always adjust from there.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Any recommended brake proportioning valves? I’m going manual brakes, but considering this as well.
I haven’t done a full write up on this yet, because I wanted to put it through it’s paces at another autocross, before I did. Since that will be tomorrow and I expect no problems, I’ll give ya a rundown. This is not going manual brakes, this is restricting the fronts on the stock system.

After reading things here and consulting with others, I decided to (basically) kill the front brakes by using a willwood 260-12627 proportioning valve. Basically the front brakes are way too powerful with our configuration. You can’t just switch front and rear lines on the master because it would lock the rear too quickly causing a new set of problems, so just restricting the front is a great compromise. Since this is adjustable, you can set it however you want. At the moment I have mine setup to lock all at the same time (if it even happens). This does change brake effort a good bit, making a bit harder, but it also gives you a much better feedback, plus this thing STOPS, like now. The only thing holding you back will be the tires ability to keep traction. It’s a total game changer on the brakes.

you will need to cut bend and flare brake lines, but it’s not that difficult. When I get some time, I’ll do a full write up.

Attachments

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Few pics of my install - I used a little longer coupler nut than most, so I cut a little more off the bolt than others. Used stock bolts to mount the MC.

There was a fair amount of convo around the flaring tools. The amazon tool I picked up worked just well enough to get the job done. I couldn't put a double flare in bc I have paper hands, the single flare works just fine and is MUCH easier to do.

dastrups

Few pics of my install - I used a little longer coupler nut than most, so I cut a little more off the bolt than others. Used stock bolts to mount the MC.

View attachment 21309

View attachment 21310

View attachment 21311

There was a fair amount of convo around the flaring tools. The amazon tool I picked up worked just well enough to get the job done. I couldn't put a double flare in bc I have paper hands, the single flare works just fine and is MUCH easier to do.
Do you know if it matters which line you hook to which port front and rear?

Also I was wondering if you know how I could get my hands on one of those Tipton reservoir mounting brackets?

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Do you know if it matters which line you hook to which port front and rear?

Also I was wondering if you know how I could get my hands on one of those Tipton reservoir mounting brackets?
The lines are just long enough for their respective input on the MC. I wouldn't overthink it.

I put the STL in my build thread but if you need I can print you one

95Blitz

I just remember earlier in the thread there was mention of the manual brakes needing alot of pressure, was just thinking maybe the brembos would balance out the braking with moderate pressure, and then you could always adjust from there.
I just got a 3/4" bore MC to try and solve the force needed. Just hope it have enough fluid volume for the calipers.