Illinois wont give title for road use

Goblin-SS

Thanks, I'm waiting on paperwork and photos to come back. I'll try again !!
Have you gotten anything back from the state? I have an update on my status. The state of Illinois is telling my that a tube chases will not be able to register for street use.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
If I remember correctly a Slingshot is registered as a motorcycle in Illinois, so using it for the tube frame argument may not help since motorcycles have different rules. But there are many Lotus 7 replicas registered that are tube frames in Illinois - along with Cobras and many other kit cars. These are all tube frames, as we know, but the tubes are not exposed - except the rollbar/cage. The hang up could be the exposed tubes and the exposed 'gap' above the standard side panels and possibly exposed tubes at the rearend. If these are covered, the way Karter had to do his car, it may make all the difference when attempting to get licensed. I'm not saying by doing this will change anything, it is Illinois after all, but asking someone if this is a requirement might be a next step. ;)

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I sure hate to hear you are having so many troubles. You built a really nice car! It's really unfortunate since not far away here in Missouri it's not an issue. I don't suppose there is any way to get it licensed in Missouri and transfer the title.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
If I remember correctly a Slingshot is registered as a motorcycle in Illinois, so using it for the tube frame argument may not help since motorcycles have different rules. But there are many Lotus 7 replicas registered that are tube frames in Illinois - along with Cobras and many other kit cars. These are all tube frames, as we know, but the tubes are not exposed - except the rollbar/cage. The hang up could be the exposed tubes and the exposed 'gap' above the standard side panels and possibly exposed tubes at the rearend. If these are covered, the way Karter had to do his car, it may make all the difference when attempting to get licensed. I'm not saying by doing this will change anything, it is Illinois after all, but asking someone if this is a requirement might be a next step. ;)
I did not like having to do that but I wanted a street legal car. Those panels may of fallen off :oops: I may end up putting some back on to get some duct work for my heat exchanger for the SC

Lando217

Also a Illinois builder just purchased my second and third stage. After reading many post I think I am still going to push forward and finish the project. I do have a clean cobalt title registered in my name. Will that help me in any aspect at all? Any advice will be great.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Jsix, where you finally able to get it street legal?
Jsix bought my donor's title, which was a Missouri registered Cobalt, and titled his Goblin in Missouri (not Illinois). He has since sold his Goblin, so I don't know if he is around to answer your question.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Jsix bought my donor's title, which was a Missouri registered Cobalt, and titled his Goblin in Missouri (not Illinois). He has since sold his Goblin, so I don't know if he is around to answer your question.
This by far is one of the best comments I've read in a long time. Good for him, at least he got it titled.

Sharpvet03

That is a huge bummer, thanks Illinois. Hard to justify building this car without having a guarantee that I be able to drive it.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Communillinois doesn't register anything that didn't come out of an automotive factory - and even then they may not allow it. And for certain vehicles they will be selective, you can register a Lotus Seven (because it is a replica) but not a Goblin (it doesn't replicate any vehicle), but they both have tube frames. The idiots are steering the boat and they can do what they want - and change the game without warning. Main reason I no longer live there.
Best answer is to go the Montana registration route and then make sure you drive your Goblin as often as possible in plain view of the law. 'Sorry officer, but this is a company vehicle - says so right here in my Montana registration. Have a wonderful day.' :p:cool:

Dale E

Just informational:
This is an acquaintance of mine, and this may be one of the last tube framed cars registered in Illinois, that was not a replica of a production car, but I don't know that for fact. He drove it in the none body condition (except for the side panel and lighting) for a shakedown trip in Georgia. Then he added the body work. He had a difficult time getting it registered though!! He has since moved to Indiana.

Attachments